SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Allow me to introduce myself...Looking for guidance

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-10, 05:28 PM
Starplaya
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allow me to introduce myself...Looking for guidance

First things first. I got a 93 sc400 just a little over a year ago for 7k and it had around 57k miles on it. It's in excellent condition inside and out except for a few minor dings and blemishes on the outside. This is my first car, got it when I was 16 and I am now 17, my knowledge on vehicles is extremely limited but I figured it's about time I've gotten to know more about cars and what better way to do so then while working on my own. There's quite a few things that I would like to do with my car but there is also a couple dilemmas, i'm broke, I know close to nothing about cars and I have very few resources to go to for help (hence i'm on the internet asking you guys.)
Basically i'm just going to list the things I want done with my car and the concerns I have about it and hope that I get some useful responses. I already did my own research on this forum and other sites but I could still use a lot more insight into how much it'd cost to get done, where to get it done, should I do it myself or other threads that already go over the subject I need help on.

1. Paint - should I save up for a paint job or just get my sc400 detailed? The color is light blue and as I stated above the exterior is in fairly good condition. Their are a few minor blemishes and some very small dents but nothing to severe at all. I am no where near close to having enough money for a paint job, so I figured a good car detailing will remove most of the imperfections. Which would be the better route?

2. Sound System- I'd like to replace the speakers but I don't know what size they are or what what kind of speakers to look for. Everything in the car is stock except for the radio which i had replaced b/c it went out. I'm looking for moderate base, nothing too extreme but something that sounds good and gives a nice bump. I'm not sure if I should get am amp or just speakers. Or if I should order them online and install myself or get them done professionally.

3. Window Tint- If any of you live in the Houston TX area and know of a good(cheap) place to get my windows tinted please let me know.

4. Rims - I'd like to increase the size of my tires to 17's or 18's, not sure which would be better. Where can I find some affordable rims and what type should I look for?

5. Concerns - Their is a small leak coming from the bottom of the car and whenever I turn the wheel I hear a grinding noise. I got the leaked checked out and the mechanic said it wasn't anything urgent and have yet to get the wheel looked at. Have any of you had similar problems and do you know what may be causing it?

6. I want my car to look cool. What mods can I make to the car myself that will enhance its overall look and wouldn't cost to much?

I realize that i'm asking for a lot of help, but I sincerely don't know were to go to get reliable information other than a forum that specializes on my vehicle. I would greatly appreciate any insight involving anything above or just anything that I may not know/need to know about my vehicle.

Thank you in advance
Old 12-19-10, 06:27 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) you can likely get the blemishes touched up by a shop, combined with some pdr

2) it's bass, not base. stock speakers are 4". combine replacements with a quality amp/sub. I've found that quality makes more difference than watts. after x-mas, there'll be plenty of deals to be had, so keep an eye out then.

3)I don't live in houston, so...

4) not familiar with Houston roads, but I hear they can be bad. for that reason, I would recommend 17" rims. more sidewall=smoother ride. otherwise, 18"s look 100x better.

5)a leak needs fixing, a grinding needs fixing. any puddle needs to be investigated, unless it's your AC condenser shedding water,needs to be fixed.
Where is the grinding coming from? front or back? left or right?

6) not much can be had for cheap. blacked out/de-golded emblems, a good wax, that's about it in the "cheap" category.

take care of #5 first, the car will thank you later.
Old 12-19-10, 07:35 PM
SC400-PHAE
Pole Position

you can also do the bfi thing..... post pics of your car
Old 12-19-10, 08:49 PM
Starplaya
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate the insight. So would an ordinary body shop do touch ups or is their somewhere else I should take it to?

As for the speakers, I seem to find the best prices online so would I be better off ordering them and having someone install them?

What bifi thing?

I'll be posting pics tomorrow.
Old 12-19-10, 08:56 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Okay before you start posting threads as to why your foglights won't come on, Just remember that your '93 SC400 wasn't equipped with any.
Old 12-19-10, 09:52 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Where is the pics playa?
Old 12-19-10, 10:04 PM
Starplaya
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CrazySC300
Okay before you start posting threads as to why your foglights won't come on, Just remember that your '93 SC400 wasn't equipped with any.

Are you sure? Last I checked, I definitely had fog lights...

I will be posting pics first thing in the morning.
Old 12-19-10, 10:20 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Starplaya

I will be posting pics first thing in the morning.
Yes, 92-94 only have cornering lights. They only light up when you are turning.

6. Just get a nice shock/spring combo, decent looking 18"s, an exhaust and you're good to go.
Old 12-19-10, 11:01 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Ahhhh another non-believer LOL!...Okay hotshot, check to see if your '93 SC has this foglight switch on it's instrument wand...

And then let's see if your SC can light up like this...

And then like this...

Old 12-19-10, 11:05 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as stated 92-94 sc300 and 400 did NOT have fog lamps, they had turning lamps that were only supplied power when using the turn signals...hence, no fog light switch inside the vehicle as pictured above.

fog lights were not introduced to the SC3/400 until 95, and ONLY 95+ SC's have factory fogs.
Old 12-19-10, 11:40 PM
Starplaya
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by turbodremz
as stated 92-94 sc300 and 400 did NOT have fog lamps, they had turning lamps that were only supplied power when using the turn signals...hence, no fog light switch inside the vehicle as pictured above.

fog lights were not introduced to the SC3/400 until 95, and ONLY 95+ SC's have factory fogs.
Good to know... As I stated in the OP, i'm only 17 and this is my first car AND i'm a complete newb when it comes down to cars so I though that the high beam was the fog light... oh well. lol
Old 12-19-10, 11:53 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Oh and speaking of highbeams, '92-'94 SC's have plastic lens and not glass ones like those of '95-'00 year models.
Old 12-20-10, 02:13 AM
mak89
Pole Position

Besides painting/blacking out emblems you can also restore your headlights and paint your pillars if fading. Just bought my first car also, 99 sc300, and these were affordable things I did and really made the appearance of the car better.

Congrats and GL!
Old 12-20-10, 07:19 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to know... As I stated in the OP, i'm only 17 and this is my first car AND i'm a complete newb when it comes down to cars so I though that the high beam was the fog light... oh well. lol

Dont feel bad, the turning lamps confuse everyone. Only advice I can give, is just read, and search and you will learn the basic ins and outs of the SC in no time.
Old 12-20-10, 07:10 PM
Starplaya
Driver School Candidate

I took pics this morning with my camera but apparently the photo size is too big to upload and I was too lazy to try adjusting anything, so tomorrow i'll just take some pics with my phone and upload them...

You guys wanna see anything specific on the car like some of the blemishes or dents, or just the whole package?