Chris's IS220d build

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-14, 02:36 PM
chrisabr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chris's IS220d build

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this forum, so I'll introduce myself first!

Chris, from the UK, bought the IS a few months ago, and absolutely fell in love, it's such a good car! quite quick for a diesel too.

Yes, I actually modified a diesel car!

I started off as standard.

I did a few mods on it:

1. Painted the calipers:

2. Painted the alloys to gunmetal (admitedly, they don't look that good when I'm looking back at it now!) :

3. Tinted the windows (30% visibility on the back)

4. Then decided the wheels were a little boring, and decided to go for black instead!

Oh, and somewhere in between, added the F-sport badges :P

So.. I'm unsure what to do next on it.
I have been thinking about getting a rear diffuser, one of those:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/06-11-Lexu...item2c80ba66c5

and a front bumper lip, one of those:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/09-10-LEXU...item2ec99f6aaf

They don't seem too cheap, right?!

And I've also been thinking about modifying the exhaust to produce a more sporty noise, though I've no experience in that.

All the stuff done so far has all been DIY, even the window tinting. But I'm not sure I can do the exhaust mods. Has anybody got any experience of modifying exhaust on the oil burner?

Last edited by chrisabr; 09-15-14 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-15-14, 11:56 PM
chrisabr
Driver School Candidate

And just to bore you all to death, here's the fuel economy I'm getting out of this thing.

Old 09-16-14, 12:53 AM
Gerb
Pole Position

Can't add a f sport badge if you don't have the f sport items A PHONY
Old 09-16-14, 11:54 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Old 09-16-14, 02:17 PM
chrisabr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gerb
Can't add a f sport badge if you don't have the f sport items A PHONY
This is the F-sport. But there was no badges on the F-sport for that year. This is one of the very first few 220D's produced.

I've added the badges to differentiate the car more + since it's already a sport it's not a phony as you say.
Old 09-22-14, 11:41 AM
JamieG4454
Driver School Candidate

hey, another is220 owner

quick question, how are you getting over 60mpg, ive only ever seen these cars get maximum 45mpg, mines high 30's... which is appalaing for a diesel... haha

like what you've done to it though

also, if you want your exhaust modded. Cant hurt to take it to your nearest custom exhaust shop. They may be abke to make you one up in any design you want.. also with that rear lip you may want to change it to dual exit as it has the cutout

Last edited by JamieG4454; 09-22-14 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-23-14, 12:23 PM
chrisabr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JamieG4454
hey, another is220 owner

quick question, how are you getting over 60mpg, ive only ever seen these cars get maximum 45mpg, mines high 30's... which is appalaing for a diesel... haha

like what you've done to it though

also, if you want your exhaust modded. Cant hurt to take it to your nearest custom exhaust shop. They may be abke to make you one up in any design you want.. also with that rear lip you may want to change it to dual exit as it has the cutout
I don't really know how, I'm not using any special fuel, just the typical supermarket one, there are no engine mods, nothing out of the ordinary.

Just drive using cruise control, try to keep around 65-75 mph (70mph by gps is around 78 by the cars speedometer). Also, the tyre pressure is extremely important, I keep mine 42 PSI front, 45 PSI rear. When you drive 70-80mph the fuel economy goes down to around 55mpg.
Also, look at the EGR valve, if there is a load of carbon in it, just take a screw driver and remove it. It's a 5 minute job, and will make a massive difference in the power and fuel economy. No need to clean it, wash it, etc - just remove the carbon with a flat screw driver.

I'm assuming it's either the EGR valve or your foot is extremely heavy. When I drive with a very heavy foot around those speeds (70-80 mph) I get around 40-45 mpg. In city speeds (30-40mph) I get between 27 and 36, dependant on how heavy footed I am. The most I was able to get in the city was around 43 mpg, most of that was slow acceleration and a lot of coasting.

Aye, I will look at the dual exhaust, that was kind of along the lines of exhaust mod anyway, but I'm totally new to this, so would be good to find someone who has done this before. I'd like to understand whether I could even get the car to sound nicer. So far it sounds ok, but it's mainly the turbo that you hear, there is no low tones coming out of the exhaust.

Where in the UK are you from?

Last edited by chrisabr; 09-23-14 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-23-14, 01:24 PM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

regardless of it being an actual F Sport or not its his ride to do what he wants, if you like the f sport badge keep em make the car your own. If you are happy with the end result thats all that matters.
Old 09-23-14, 06:58 PM
JamieG4454
Driver School Candidate

Im from swansea, south wales. Yeah if you have some questions, just ask. Ive been researching alot about modifying these. Yeah i replaced my egr recently along with the having the dpf cleaned out. They can be pigs to work on haha. Where abouts are you from?

Cheers Jamie
Old 09-25-14, 09:20 AM
chrisabr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JamieG4454
Im from swansea, south wales. Yeah if you have some questions, just ask. Ive been researching alot about modifying these. Yeah i replaced my egr recently along with the having the dpf cleaned out. They can be pigs to work on haha. Where abouts are you from?

Cheers Jamie
I'm from Bristol, so not too far.

Did you look into modifying the exhaust noise too, or just the two pipes instead of one?

If you replaced both of these, then I don't get why you're getting so much worse fuel economy.

May be worth meeting up sometime, trying out eachothers cars, you'd know then whether it's just your heavy foot, or something wrong with the car.

Chris.
Old 09-25-14, 08:09 PM
JamieG4454
Driver School Candidate

I havent done the exhaust yet. I think its just down to a heavy foot lol. But yeah anythings possible with the exhaust sounds free flowing mufflers etc will make the car sound a bit better
Old 10-19-14, 12:53 PM
chrisabr
Driver School Candidate

<<<@!1!@>>>

What I am hoping to achieve with the exhaust mod is noise similar to this one:

I love the noise from that thing once he revs it, sounds like an amg.

Some more mods!

It's all just vinyl wrap.

Next step is to introduce a rear diffuser, front lip, and then possibly vinyl wrap the wing mirrors, door handles and the hood. Then if I find the budget, do the exhaust too.
Old 10-29-14, 08:22 PM
Jusdc5
Driver School Candidate

Nice touch with the interior carbon wrap man!
Old 01-22-15, 01:29 AM
AeroZ
Driver School Candidate

nice upgrades except for the f sport badges lol
Old 11-17-16, 01:50 AM
fiuman
Driver School Candidate

Do not buy rear diffuser for youre car from ebay because it doesnt fit. i have Lexus is220d F sport (2013) and i made a modification to it ,i put the second exhaust pipe like is250 has it and i bought the rear diffuser from ebay and it dosent fit. It is to wide.

If you are going to put dual exhaust look at my post,i put some pictures od it.

Quick Reply: Chris's IS220d build