Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 02:38 PM
Will_GS400
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Awesome, glad to see you're getting the GS back on the road.

Any upgrades, or this is just pure repair?
Old 01-26-16, 04:55 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Will_GS400
Awesome, glad to see you're getting the GS back on the road.

Any upgrades, or this is just pure repair?
I'm getting one upgrade done. Its a disease we are afflicted with and are doomed to keep spending money on our cars.

I'm getting a Quad Projector Bi-Xenon HID retrofit done. In the low beam housing, I'm getting an FXRs projector and in the highs I'm getting a Morimoto Mini H1.

They will be wired up so that when the low beam is triggered both projectors on each side will come on in the low position. When the highs are turned on, both projectors will switch to a high position.

I'm also replacing the DRL bulb in the high beam receptacle with the following SMB LED strip - it will be in both high and low beam receptacles shaped like an "L" (see small pic at the bottom of this post).

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...ck-strips.html

And here it is on a GS headlight (not mine yet). I will have pics of mine next week - my headlights are on their way to the retrofitter in Las Vegas - SD Retrofitters https://www.facebook.com/Sandiego.retrofits/
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-16, 05:53 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

How is the strip getting wired up? I currently have FXR's in the low beam, but plan one redoing them. I will either do Q45's in lows and move the FXR's to the high beam position or keep the FXR's in their place and add mini H1's like you to the inners.
Old 01-28-16, 04:21 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by tiger4life
How is the strip getting wired up? I currently have FXR's in the low beam, but plan one redoing them. I will either do Q45's in lows and move the FXR's to the high beam position or keep the FXR's in their place and add mini H1's like you to the inners.
The strip will be wired up so that whenever the engine is turned on, the strip will come on.

I wanted to do FXR's in both high and low but the installer said that the Mini H1 will fit the high beam receptacle better than the FXR - something to do with the size of the FXR's
Old 01-28-16, 06:46 AM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Please post pics one they are installed and the car is back up and running.
Old 01-28-16, 07:34 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by tiger4life
Please post pics one they are installed and the car is back up and running.
That's the one thing I'm good at - posting lots of progress pics and current state pics.
Old 01-28-16, 09:32 AM
ericherm1
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So sad to read about what happened but every negative action has a silver lining and that sir is what you have to look at. You are already doing so I see with the new headlight mod your working on. Who knows, I know the roads get pretty bad in the winter up there and maybe this is the opportunity to give it a fresh new look, although it was previously bad ***!

I do have a question. I've been hounding the threads to find the right offset and fitment for my GS preferably without spacers. I saw the pages with your 20"s and love how they look, it really sets it off.

Did you have to trim the rear fender lips and roll the fronts?

Can you pass on the wheel specs please, such as offsets?

Thanks man, keep feeding the addiction!
Old 01-28-16, 09:57 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
The repair has finally started. A couple of pics of the car in the body shop
sorry to hear Hameed, but no way in hell im paying $9.6k to fix that old of a car sentimental or not.... just not worth it and there will be no resale value EVER with a salvage title. i could see if you got the check ($7k) and the car and then it cost you $3k to fix then great deal but IMHO this wasnt worth it
Old 01-28-16, 11:44 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by ericherm1
So sad to read about what happened but every negative action has a silver lining and that sir is what you have to look at. You are already doing so I see with the new headlight mod your working on. Who knows, I know the roads get pretty bad in the winter up there and maybe this is the opportunity to give it a fresh new look, although it was previously bad ***!

I do have a question. I've been hounding the threads to find the right offset and fitment for my GS preferably without spacers. I saw the pages with your 20"s and love how they look, it really sets it off.

Did you have to trim the rear fender lips and roll the fronts?

Can you pass on the wheel specs please, such as offsets?

Thanks man, keep feeding the addiction!
Thanks. Yes, I'm excited about the headlight mod.

I'll look for the offsets, I don't have them handy at the moment. And yes, I had to roll the inner lip on all four corners (not the fender) and I'm still rubbing when I hit bumps. As part of the repair I getting the fenders rolled because the car is getting a completely new fresh paint job and that should fix the rubbing problem.

Originally Posted by sakataj
sorry to hear Hameed, but no way in hell im paying $9.6k to fix that old of a car sentimental or not.... just not worth it and there will be no resale value EVER with a salvage title. i could see if you got the check ($7k) and the car and then it cost you $3k to fix then great deal but IMHO this wasnt worth it
100% agree with that.

Its definitely not worth it. I did get a check for $7K and the car. It will cost another $2.5K on top of the $7K to fix it and that also includes a complete paint job, rolling the fenders to accommodate the 20's as I was rubbing prior.

The main reason why I decided to fix it versus walking away from it was actually very simple. It was not sentimental whatsoever. It was a purely financial decision.

Spend $2.5K and still have a nice car. Or get a loan for another $20K (+ the $9.6K from the insurance) and get a half decent used LS or something like that. I refuse to go into debt (loan or lease is the same thing to me) to spring for a car that is driven a couple of days a week during the summer (about 7 - 8 months a year). Just does not make any financial sense whatsoever.

Even though its now not worth anything because it has a salvage title, that is not really relevant as I don't plan to sell it any time soon anyway. So its all good in the end.
Old 01-29-16, 07:51 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

in for updates on the headlights... those look sick...
Old 02-04-16, 09:19 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Latest updates with the donor car quarter panels and hood installed and engine pieces painted flat black
Attached Thumbnails My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-img_5795.jpg   My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-img_5796.jpg   My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-img_5797.jpg   My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-img_5798.jpg  
Old 02-04-16, 11:29 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't wait to see this all done! Very sad to see the way it was after the accident.
Old 02-05-16, 04:56 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by clos430
Can't wait to see this all done! Very sad to see the way it was after the accident.
Thanks! I can't wait either.

Here are some more pics - the car is prepped and ready now for the mechanical work to be done and then finally it will be ready to be painted
Attached Thumbnails My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-img_5802.jpg   My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-img_5803.jpg   My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-img_5804.jpg   My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-img_5805.jpg   My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-img_5806.jpg  

Old 02-05-16, 06:51 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
100% agree with that.

Its definitely not worth it. I did get a check for $7K and the car. It will cost another $2.5K on top of the $7K to fix it and that also includes a complete paint job, rolling the fenders to accommodate the 20's as I was rubbing prior.

The main reason why I decided to fix it versus walking away from it was actually very simple. It was not sentimental whatsoever. It was a purely financial decision.

Spend $2.5K and still have a nice car. Or get a loan for another $20K (+ the $9.6K from the insurance) and get a half decent used LS or something like that. I refuse to go into debt (loan or lease is the same thing to me) to spring for a car that is driven a couple of days a week during the summer (about 7 - 8 months a year). Just does not make any financial sense whatsoever.

Even though its now not worth anything because it has a salvage title, that is not really relevant as I don't plan to sell it any time soon anyway. So its all good in the end.
i mean i guess.... my thoughts. take car and part her, take $ from parting her and the $7k check and buy a nicer/newer used car but just my thoughts.

you staying the same color or changing it?
Old 02-05-16, 07:24 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by sakataj
i mean i guess.... my thoughts. take car and part her, take $ from parting her and the $7k check and buy a nicer/newer used car but just my thoughts.
The only problem with this scenario is that it would sit in my garage for only god' knows how long. Plus the time investment it would require to part it out is something I can't afford or am interested in doing. And I would still need to get a loan to get a decent powerful car.

you staying the same color or changing it?
Same color. The cost would have gone up if I want to change it.

Quick Reply: My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003