Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS400 owner vehicles

UCF 10 Work In Progress Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-12, 12:22 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UCF 10 Work In Progress Build

I've owned her for about 3 years now. When i first bought her, she was in horrible shape. Being a full time college student, i didn't have the extra funds to give her a beauty change but simply a step by step remodel is what i can give her. She had horrible paint and the interior is like a dump. Cd player did not work at all, missing parts here and there.

My main goals right now is having a good/reliable motor and work on the exterior of the car. Once i get that done i will start on the interior. I had the timing belt, water pump, tune up done on her when she had about 200,000 miles. She is currently at 248,xxx.

I don't have any pics of her when i first got her but these will do.

Starting her for a paint job. A lot of sanding. I didn't know it involved this much sanding over and over again. Paint on her was so horrible so i decided to prime the whole car. It will involve two layers of prime, 2 layers of paint, and 2 layers of clear with metallic pearl in the clear coat.

Masking her.

She getting Primed.

This is just the rear end with a single coat of primer.

At this point, the painter backed out of the job so i got screwed. I'm now looking for a body shop that will finish up the job. I have all the supplies, paint, thinner, activator, etc. Pretty much all they gotta do is supply the labor. lol easier said than done.

While in the search for a shop that will do the paint job, i started with changing out little things.

Changed out the coolant temp. sensor (btw i haven't notice any difference in gas mileage) and transmission mount. These are the old parts, new parts were already installed before i could do a compare.

I got a set of eagle eyes. purchased from lilcelsior. They got damaged from shipping but i'm not too worried about it since it still could have been installed.

Test Fit

I changed out her tint job as well. the last owner did not take of it at all (my uncle). Tint was purple with the back windshield bubbling. I spent a good whole week to remove the tint. I started with the windows then windsheild. I didn't take any pictures because it was just a pita to do. I used a steamer which helped removing the tint a little. I then took it to a shop and had them tint 20% all the way around except for front windshield.

This is what she looks like today.

Im currently changing out all of the leds. Those pics coming soon.
Old 02-07-12, 02:47 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

good start so far, good luck with the search for a painter.
Old 02-08-12, 05:31 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice! I'd even consider painting hert yourself at this point. All the hard work is done.
Old 02-08-12, 08:54 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

nice work, but it would haven been worth it to remove the emblems before priming eh? i say paint it yourself if you have all the necessary goods. worst case is to take it to a one-day paint place, and i've seen decent work come out of them before. of course the saying applies "you get what you pay for". good luck.
Old 02-08-12, 09:49 AM
bauceLS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks really good. you should shave off the emblems or paint them black. either way, i cant wait to see how it turns out.
Old 02-09-12, 06:12 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

i think you dodged a bullet when your painter left. i mean seriously; headlights, tail lights, bumper lights, grill... not taking that stuff off is just being lazy.
Old 02-13-12, 08:07 PM
MyRolla
Driver School Candidate

good primer job what color r u planning on doing it up with?
Old 02-15-12, 01:23 AM
ocr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLKonBLK98
i think you dodged a bullet when your painter left. i mean seriously; headlights, tail lights, bumper lights, grill... not taking that stuff off is just being lazy.
I agree.. having done autobody for a few years, that was one of the first things taught. Anything that you don't want painted, don't just mask it. If it can come off, take it off! I'm gona paint my car myself the first time, second time ima have a pro with a downdraft spray booth do it.. second time will be after she has the Junction Produce wide body kit. Untill then, my skills are enough.
Old 02-28-12, 12:12 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

update: I found a body shop that will paint the car. They will finish the car for $500 so I'll just drop it off. I believe it'll be another layer of primer, 2 layer of paint, 2 layer of clear with pearl flakes in them.

my shocks finally gave up at 250k. I'm going to have to pick up a set of coilovers. Most likely the Megan ez , how long do you think they'll last? I have a friend that is a mechanic but how hard do you guys think it'll be to install them? Are they straight forward as in just taking out the old ones and putting the new ones in? How about dialing them in as well? Sorry for the questions but I'm very new to coilovers and wheels.
Old 02-29-12, 09:28 AM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Someone did a write up for the fronts, and someone did a write up for the rears. Off the top of my head removing the upper control arm from the front knuckle is the biggest pain in the front.

The cover behind the rear seats needs to be raised or removed to get to the upper nuts on the rears. The official way involves removing the axles but there's just enough room to get them out without removing them if you get a little creative. I think the end looks on the stabilizer bar had to come out.

My coilovers are shorter than OEM and went right in place.
Old 07-05-12, 03:00 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

UPDATE: I finally got the car painted. It turned out a little better than i expected because it was a cheap paint job. What i need to do now is wet sand the paint and then buff it to get the orange peels out. Any recommendations on wetsanding and buffing?

I got hooked up with a buddy that is sponsored by BC Racing so hes getting me a set of coilovers installed for 1100, I think its not that bad of a deal.

Here she is as of today.

Old 07-06-12, 09:50 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

dont you need the front licence plate to drive in US?
Old 07-06-12, 10:14 PM
robbyrottn
Driver School Candidate

Nice progress man! It's gonna look great on coils!! Keep up the good work.
Old 07-07-12, 01:17 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Looks good although it could use some new badges in the back.
Old 07-07-12, 01:42 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by qha_vn
dont you need the front licence plate to drive in US?
Only in certain states. It doesn't require one where i live at.

Originally Posted by robbyrottn
Nice progress man! It's gonna look great on coils!! Keep up the good work.
Thanks. I will update as soon as i get them installed. It sucks living in alabama, having to drive to atlanta to get anything done. I can get it done here too but they always charge you an arm and leg for any work done.

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Looks good although it could use some new badges in the back.
Thanks bro. Don't worry i'm going to change out the badges once i get all the big things done first. The badges were faded so i told them to paint them too for the time being. I'm wondering if i can get those chrome strips on ebay and replace the faded ones i have on there now. The ones that run around the whole car.

Quick Reply: UCF 10 Work In Progress Build