Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

TX Mode Parfume stage 3...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-10, 04:15 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, another thing that just killed me was his "custom fix" for the check engine light. Everytime I turned the car off,it reset the ECU. He wired up a relay to shut the ecu off everytime the car shut off,it sucked. Car would start half the time. On one trip, I had my family with me and the car wouldn't stop. Accelerator was stuck. I couldn't stop the car at all!! I put it in Neutral and turned the car off as the RPMs were screaming. I probably put 600 miles on the car since JPI did the install (including the 180 mile drive home). This was before the recall that Toyota had. I called Jason and he knew that it was a throttle positioning sensor. He ordered me a replacement and I fixed it.

I opened up my ecu cover and guess what? a lot of wires were not soldered...some were, most were not.

I was so frustrated, I didn't drive the car. It sat in the garage for months...almost a full year. I pulled it out and drove it and it died on me. I figured out I wasn't getting fuel. I opened up the "custom fuel return line" that JPI did...the fuel pump was not soldered. They were twisted on. One of the wires came loose. I fixed that and got back on the road. Finally I couldnt take it anymore. I pulled it back in the garage and did it myself. His headers burned up my O2 sensor wires..fried them...car ran like crap. I had to resolder new wires into the harness. What a mess.
Old 07-31-10, 05:17 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

props to you speedaddict... like you said... want it right, do it yourself
Old 07-31-10, 07:17 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

I was wondering just the other day what happened to those guys. I remember they had a post with a 1000HP GS project they were working on. Then they just fell off the face of the earth. Wow.
Old 07-31-10, 09:21 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
Ok, another thing that just killed me was his "custom fix" for the check engine light. Everytime I turned the car off,it reset the ECU. He wired up a relay to shut the ecu off everytime the car shut off,it sucked. Car would start half the time. On one trip, I had my family with me and the car wouldn't stop. Accelerator was stuck. I couldn't stop the car at all!! I put it in Neutral and turned the car off as the RPMs were screaming. I probably put 600 miles on the car since JPI did the install (including the 180 mile drive home). This was before the recall that Toyota had. I called Jason and he knew that it was a throttle positioning sensor. He ordered me a replacement and I fixed it.

I opened up my ecu cover and guess what? a lot of wires were not soldered...some were, most were not.

I was so frustrated, I didn't drive the car. It sat in the garage for months...almost a full year. I pulled it out and drove it and it died on me. I figured out I wasn't getting fuel. I opened up the "custom fuel return line" that JPI did...the fuel pump was not soldered. They were twisted on. One of the wires came loose. I fixed that and got back on the road. Finally I couldnt take it anymore. I pulled it back in the garage and did it myself. His headers burned up my O2 sensor wires..fried them...car ran like crap. I had to resolder new wires into the harness. What a mess.

Wow!! Seems like most of the things where done wrong! Maybe he is better with regular things, nothing custom.. Can't wait to see new results
Old 07-31-10, 09:22 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by excluesive
props to you speedaddict... like you said... want it right, do it yourself
Total cost they charged me was through the roof. Over 10k for this work...at the time I was opening up the Bodyshop so I had absolutely no time to do this install. I read through all the threads and a lot of people recommended JPI. I made the drive up north and everything seemed ok...until I got the car.

JPI charged me almost double what Lextreme charges for this FMU (NO LIE) Lextreme was $270 JPI charged me over $450

I ditched it and went with 440cc injector and Aeromotive FPR 1:1
Old 08-01-10, 12:41 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you live and you learn bother. I will have a hell of a hard time up here figuring out what shop I want to take it to if/when I get engine work done. You build is what scared me to go FI in the first place on my 430, but after reading this, it doesn't seems like too much went wrong except for the wrong shop installing it/tuning it.

Wish me luck in 2 years (the only timeline I see being hypothetically correct for me).
Old 08-01-10, 10:29 AM
MrExecutiv
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad to see your GS doing better now. I know how you feel. I hate it that we have to pay a lot of money to these shops and we still have to fix stuff or have to bring it back because they didn't do it right the first time. so much for "professional work."

I am in the process of fixing things on my car too. sigh.
Old 08-01-10, 12:01 PM
richie3888
Pole Position

Glad you're doing it right! That's why I could never have anyone else work on my cars. It's never up to my expectation.
Old 08-01-10, 06:06 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Looks so much better now, very nice re-work on the stuff you did yourself .

I also had problems with JPI on (two) high powered alternators he sold me when he was a vendor here... first one was not correct according to docs he sent with it. He replaced it and the second one had a faulty voltage regulator resulting in overcharged Optima batteries which vented acid in my engine bay and on exterior paint (requiring repaint), long tow while on a road trip for a CL meet, alternator install costs x 2, batteries, other stuff that got messed up.

I just got a weak 'don't know what happened, maybe send it back and I'll take a look at it'. I chalked it up to the price you pay for a heavily modified vehicle when you buy custom parts from somebody not local, but I was totally underwhelmed with his customer service and concern over what turned into a several-thousand-dollar out of pocket expense for me. I wouldn't do business with him again.
Old 08-01-10, 06:19 PM
lo_dit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sucks to see this happen to someone from a "professional" shop. everything looks tons better now
Old 08-01-10, 06:49 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Boost logic did a lot of the fuel return. I had to return it to stock in order to get it to run. Thus far, Boost logic has been top notch place to deal with.

Theres so much more... JPI took my supercharger apart to chrome it. Vortech told him they didn't recommend it. He did it anyways. It ended up leaking like crazy. I took it apart and low and behold, he use some kind of spray glue to seal up the leak. The glue was everywhere in the engine compartment under the supercharger. It cost me over $2000 to get fixed from Vortech (they ended up sending me a new one).
Old 08-01-10, 07:20 PM
alexdan
Driver

wow what a mess you had on ur hands ....those JPI people need to reconsider many things ...ohhh wait looks like they are out of business..... cant do that kind a ****** with a customers car...WTF
Old 08-02-10, 08:44 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

green futura calipers look great! cant wait to see the gs completed!
Old 08-02-10, 09:44 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Looks so much better now, very nice re-work on the stuff you did yourself .

I also had problems with JPI on (two) high powered alternators he sold me when he was a vendor here... first one was not correct according to docs he sent with it. He replaced it and the second one had a faulty voltage regulator resulting in overcharged Optima batteries which vented acid in my engine bay and on exterior paint (requiring repaint), long tow while on a road trip for a CL meet, alternator install costs x 2, batteries, other stuff that got messed up.

I just got a weak 'don't know what happened, maybe send it back and I'll take a look at it'. I chalked it up to the price you pay for a heavily modified vehicle when you buy custom parts from somebody not local, but I was totally underwhelmed with his customer service and concern over what turned into a several-thousand-dollar out of pocket expense for me. I wouldn't do business with him again.

Wow so I was not the ONLY one to get the wrong high power alternator from JPI ! !

In my case tragedy was barely avoided. My alternator was installed and working fine for a month. When I got home from a long drive I just happened to pop the hood and noticed it had this slight burnt smell about it. It was late afternoon and getting dark, so I was lucky that I could barely see a strange amber reflection coming from underneath the car. At that point I did not know or think it was a fire. I later discovered my alternator Hot wire was actually on fire and the insulation was burning slowly. I could not see the flame since the supercharger covered my view. The only way I even verified there was a fire was when I hosed down the whole side of the engine compartment and the glowing amber reflection dissappeared.

After further examination I realized the hot terminal post on the alternator was barely shorting across the engine block after the insulating boot had worn through from engine vibration over a period of time. You could see black charred marks on the engine and terminal where the electricity was arching across.

When I pulled the alternator, I found that the alternator that JPI sent me was WRONG as the terminal post was shifted over compared to the stock location, allowing the terminal to be too close to the block and eventually causing the short.

It seems that JPI has a way of doing business that is foolhardy and frankly Half A$$.

With just our three stories, who knows what other carnage JPI has caused. If my car burned down to a crisp, you would of seen me post about them, but since tragedy was avoided, I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

I don't know if we are too OT from Thomas original intention for this thread, but I just had to chime in on my experience.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 08-02-10 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-02-10, 09:59 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Not at all Glenn, I myself wanted to give him benefit of the doubt, but problem after problem and my wife in my ear because of the money we spent over $10K!!!!!!!! I couldn't sit quiet any longer. I needed to say something.

Quick Reply: TX Mode Parfume stage 3...