Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Tyre//bad/smell in the car how to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-22, 05:12 PM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 245 Likes on 184 Posts

Still hopeful that we'll get some images to debunk.

Anyways, on-topic - tl:dr clean your car. mold has a VERY specific smell, and if it IS mold - your best option might be to just throw away all carpetry, leather, etc. In the very likely event that it isn't - just clean your car. How to do so - go read detailing forums and watch videos, no straight and easy answer. Always try the least aggressive method first.
Old 05-03-22, 06:11 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,324 Posts

You've got some good advice already, moving this to the detail forum.

Step 1: Roll down windows when you are home and let it air out in the sun, but don't forget to roll them back up.

Step 2: If your detailer doesn't have the capability to thoroughly clean the interior, including shampooing the carpets, conditioning the leather and possibly using ozone or other treatment FIRE THEM and get another detailer. "That's the way they do it in BG" is flat wrong, any good detailer anywhere knows how to clean the interior of a car if they are prepping your paint properly for ceramic.

If it is mold from water damage, you pretty much need to remove and replace all carpet, etc but if it was flooded you're facing a lot bigger electrical issues than the smell.

My advice: Get it really clean and sell this car.
Old 05-03-22, 06:46 PM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Don’t worry about the rust. Nothing you can do about it if it’s widespread.

If you went to Toyota Sofia, they would have lifted your car up the hoist. Just saying. So you trust a random guy to come to your house, who you say is lazy, over a service centre. Got it.

I just want to remind you once again, that you never been in BG country you dont know and you dont have any idea how thinks works here,
Let me give you an example i have called many times to book hours with Tm sofia, the worst - to me and most people non existing toyota place for repairs today when i called them in the morning , one ladie picked up the phone and she doesnt know the mechanics schedule, she will return my call guess how many times she returned my call 0000
This is not called dealership its called non existing toyota brand, let me remind you what owners of LEXUS brand said when they visit the Tm Sofia service - only some of their comments.

Example number "The car received very little attention even though I had to wait 2 weeks for an appointment with a "diagnostician". He told me that everything looks OK and send me on my way. I explicitly got someone inside the car to point out the smell from the fan. He denied smelling anything unusual even though it is a very sharp smell. This is 1 month before the guarantee expires. Also, did not receive a protocol or anything. Complete scam."

i can provide endless amount of example of customers...
and my self including

example number two
"If you need a car that you can use during the holidays and in a leap year, do not hesitate to bet on tm auto ... @ tmauto - better transform your business into a McDonald's franchise franchise will not be easy, but you have more chances to provide normal service."

example number 3 " My car was in service for about 2 months for tinsmith services, but in this period had to perform maintenance type B (warranty car). The balance, after I got my car - about the sheets things are satisfactory, but what shortcomings I found. In the box between the seats there were 40-50 BGN of coins, of which there was no mention. OMV wiper fluid was in the boot, unprinted - missing. I leave the car with about 45 liters of fuel, they return it to me with 15 liters (30 liters have evaporated). Spark plugs are changed at 90,000 km - they are written, but not changed (in the photo it is assumed that the spark plug is 200 km, you say if it is that much). Brake fluid - not changed, but discharged. Air filter - not replaced, but not written. Nice car, but an outrageous scam in the official representation of the brand. I'm starting to understand why many friends with new Toyotas do not take advantage of the warranty service and the warranty is not interested in them. Because there is simply no such service ... I was just thinking about a new Toyota (it would be the fifth made by my family), but I was here - I hate to be lied to, even more so in the eyes."
from this example you can read clearly that they steal fuel and parts and they make you more trouble and fixing car, this explains why in our country lexus doesnt exist, if you own for example lexus ls no one here will be able to service you since the original toyota representative doesnt care at all if you drive toyota , lexus or whatever..

"Never again Toyota! Another global brand that is wretched in Bulgaria. Already third month and still unable to repair a single damage! They have at least 4 deadlines not met! And so I'm waiting for more. ."
"A lot of impropriety in one place. It is commendable that the management of a company like Toyota have managed to bring so much impropriety under one roof. If I could put - 5 stars it would be the right rating for them. This is after 3 pure Toyota newcomers, never again thanks to TM Auto."
The hours are like a BMW or a Mercedes. They plucked me most unceremoniously and, on top of that, the problem was not fixed ....! Never again buying a Toyota car !!!

Please start reading at least some of the things i write here.

I dont trust random guy
that guy repaired many cars and he works with different brands and he never scams people unlike tm auto and most autorized and non ad services in BG.
He made inspection and showed me a lot of things and issues which need attention.. in front of my eyes when i go to tm they took my car and keep me in the dark..

I dont have digital camera or way to lift the car in order to make good quality pictures of the rust.
If i manage to arrange hour for detailing soon, it will be great i dont want car to smell that terrible.The car inspector today told me some imaginary story that my leaks are probably exhaust fumes, is this possible? will the leave such a residue over the floor ? i dont believe that or some mixture between oil, antifreeze and something else ? i still think its a brake fluid due to the topping it or rear diff which i cant see..

Originally Posted by peasodos
I'm willing to bet it's only surface rust on the under body of the car. Someone mentioned flood damage in previous thread(just sand/dirt in the truck near the pressure vents and under the hood) and he assumes the car was flooded, mileage is fake, hybrid battery is trash, ect...
From the pics just looks like car was driven in the desert or beach areas and nobody ever bothered to clean the engine bay.

Not long before this thread gets locked.

Car have a lot of Rust in the front, in the rear and under the car it self, a lot,
if we compare that car to other cars i own, this is to the junk yard ,this was confirmed by several people, why will they lie to me ?
And i have seen rust with my own eyes.. car has never been in desert or beach as well..
Old 05-04-22, 12:42 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 245 Likes on 184 Posts

I just want to remind you once again, that you never been in BG country you dont know and you dont have any idea how thinks works here, ...
Remind me again, how did you get your previous threads locked?

I dont have digital camera

Yes, I'm sure that you don't have a phone.
Make sure to book a studio, otherwise the shots won't be clear enough. </s>

The car inspector today told me some imaginary story that my leaks are probably exhaust fumes, is this possible? will the leave such a residue over the floor ?

Condensation drips from the exhaust + whatever's on the floor = all kinds of things. The pictures that you shared in that "leak" thread do imply that the leak may have possibly been coming from the tailpipes. P.S. Brake fluid (DOT 3/4/5.1) is pretty much alcohol, diff oil is, well... oil. I imagine you've touched the leaking fluid to try to figure this out?

i still think its a brake fluid due to the topping it

How about cycle the brakes with the car stationary and see if it's still there.

or rear diff which i cant see..
You took pics of the underside of your car but you're telling us that you can't lie on the floor and take a pic of the diff. I'll let you figure out how ridiculous this sounds.

He made inspection and showed me a lot of things and issues which need attention..

How about a list and proof?

And i have seen rust with my own eyes.. car has never been in desert or beach as well..
It's been in Latvia. Plenty of snowfall there, I think?

If i manage to arrange hour for detailing soon, it will be great i dont want car to smell that terrible.

In the event that you're looking for advice or something:

Start with videos such as this - yes, it's 8 years old, it's not the only way, but Larry alone has plenty on his channel that you can do with pretty much basic household tools. Check out some other videos (as Larry tends to use his own stuff, which is, at the very least, very hard to get here), browse around a little (on more generic detailing forums - autopia, autogeekonline, detailingworld, etc) and you'll get a feel for what you'll need. Always start with THE LEAST aggressive method first - warm water and a microfiber. Move on from there (say, optimum no-rinse water, then agitated APC, so on). For carpets - can't do a whole lot other than vacuum without either taking them out for a wash (VERY time consuming) or using an extractor.

P.S. DO NOT use steam on leather, unless you KNOW what you're doing. You'll damage it in no time whatsoever.
DO NOT use magic erasers on leather. You're stripping the clear coat.

Plenty of detailing shops here, if you want to get "pro" products yourself.

I personally use optimum no rinse (at waterless wash dillution) for general interior cleaning, furnitureclinic's ultra clean with the foaming bottle for leather, agitated optimum power clean at 10:1 for more stubborn things (never tried on leather). I've used other things in the past, they were NOT worse, it's just what I use now. Pick your poison.

TLR - watch videos to pick up on general technique and do's don'ts, see what you can achieve with basic tools (vacuum cleaner, microfiber towels and warm, perhaps VERY SLIGHTLY soapy water - a drop in 5 liters or something like that), don't go aggressive (i.e. be as gentle as possible, step it up as you get a feel for it) and so on.

If you don't want to bother - go to a detailer and stop bothering us.
Old 05-04-22, 02:25 AM
bladest
Instructor

Lwerewolf I have made you an offer many many times to check out car , but you denied i asked you for place where u go with your car you want to tell me...

According to the inspector car suspension is shot due to the rust, car whole exhaust system is shot due to rust, also some i dont know the name of all components but in the engine they are also a lot of rust things, here is example there is a one big round shaped thing i think its called washer its rusted as well... again i dont know all of the components names.

Car detailing pro studio will take care of the detailing, but not sure if the smell wont stay...

I personally dried the spilled liquid from the floor, to me it looks like , i dont kept sample , but to me it was hard to clean its definetely not a water to me its either antifreeze or brake fluid, its not oil for sure i dont know how diff oil oooks like but its not engine oil for sure.

If you want more proof you can come and inspect car like i already offered you many many many times..
Some small amount of the cleaning i will do by my self i dont have option to use steam or ozone generator since i dont own any i have micro fiber towels only and some chemicals.
Old 05-04-22, 09:10 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by bladest
According to the inspector car suspension is shot due to the rust, car whole exhaust system is shot due to rust, also some i dont know the name of all components but in the engine they are also a lot of rust things
Are you saying the whole car is a pile of junk? Widespread surface rust on the under body is normal in colder climates especially if they use a lot of salt on the roads during the winter.
Old 05-04-22, 09:18 AM
bladest
Instructor

I am not claiming anything it was car inspector who inspect the car and took me lots of money for that.
how about other parts of the car? Which have rust is it normal to have rust everywhere.
Old 05-05-22, 02:26 AM
Lead Lap

Received 766 Likes on 516 Posts

many times she returned my call 0000
This is not called dealership its called non existing toyota brand, let me remind you what owners of LEXUS brand said when they visit the Tm Sofia service - only some of their comments.
Many customers of Toyota Motors East or West in Sofia disagrees with you.

4.4 / 5 and 4.5/5 is good enough in my books. Heck that’s even better rating than my local Toyota dealer which is the largest in the city.

Old 05-05-22, 02:47 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by 703
Many customers of Toyota Motors East or West in Sofia disagrees with you.

4.4 / 5 and 4.5/5 is good enough in my books. Heck that’s even better rating than my local Toyota dealer which is the largest in the city.

I have been 10 times in tm auto , and i never had good experience, and i dont care what others say i provided you my recent experience from this week, which makes me think its not a good place to service my car i still dont have returned car from tm auto.
Its too bad that Usa is whole different country and every dealership is great for lexus/ there in BG things are much worse due to the 300$ salary people receive, and also private franchizes....
I cant go to the dealership since they dont want to book me an date and time and dont return to my email and dont return to my phone calls...
and i have been there 10 times, in my books, this sounds like scam and many will agree.
from the people who experienced the same issues, about the reviews , not sure if you know you can pay such service exist in internet and many profiles can write you positive reviews/ they are called bots or something...
So keep that in mind not everything that you see is genuine . A lot of fake reviews exists and ratings as well..
Old 05-05-22, 02:48 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Lock this Thread! Beating a dead horse.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (05-05-22)
Old 05-05-22, 03:34 AM
Lead Lap

Received 766 Likes on 516 Posts

So keep that in mind not everything that you see is genuine . A lot of fake reviews exists and ratings as well..
while I agree with fake reviews being widespread on the internet, makes no sense for a Toyota dealer to pay for fake reviews. The consequence will be negative press if found out and Toyota could take away their license.

also businesses in general don’t want to deal with troublesome customers. I certainly know there are specific type of customers that are not worth the time. There are always two sides to a bad experience.

Last edited by 703; 05-05-22 at 03:39 AM.
Old 05-05-22, 04:27 AM
bladest
Instructor

BG is one of the most corrupted contries in the world we dont have laws here you can check out 8 drawrfs https://acf.bg/en/osemte-dzhudzheta-novo-razsledvane/
in bulgaria the people who pay the most get their license it doesnt matter if its toyota or something else, lexus site is bogus fake, no one replies when u send email to this lexus bg web site and also no one picks the phone so to me sounds like phoney/fake site in order to receive the right for the brand, there is not a quality control as well, i have many complains over the years in various brands like jbl, i bought from abroad jbl speakers they stopped working and in bulgaria they wanted me money to repair them they had international european warranty so i sended them to the country, i also had issues with other brands bg representatives always try/to scam you.
Most of the company employers also write a lot of reviews since they have nothing to do whole day...

Let me summarize it for you,

Tm auto Sofia, its not a dealership its operate in a terms of franchise, i can create my own company tomorrow for small city where toyota doesnt exist and i can apply for simular terms...
tm is private company it have 2 shops in bulgaria both in sofia, for other cities other toyota fake stealerships exists, and thats it.
I have bigger chances if i go to international country in order my car to be serviced.
like greece or romania or macedonia unfortunately they are far away for my non working car i need to use road assistance, and it will be expensive trip both ways.
Do you think i am troublesome customer? What trouble i have bringed to them i always pay full amount in advance i scammed 000 services even fake dealerships.
Old 05-05-22, 07:07 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Bladest, since you don’t have the skills to diagnose or fix any component on this car yourself and there seemingly is no competent or non corrupt mechanic in Bulgaria that meets your standards, I would recommend getting rid of your troublesome car as quickly as possible. Sell it “as is” and someone who has a mechanical background can refurbish it.

Now this thread is way off topic and the OP has plenty of advice on how to deal with the tire odor, I’m closing another one.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveGS4:
dezymond (05-05-22), Im2bz2p345 (05-05-22)
Old 06-08-22, 05:03 PM
bladest
Instructor

Default how to clean headliner? and remove bad tyre smell of the car...

hi here is the story, previous owner/agency decided to store tyres inside the car, for half a year...
at least, i have been in detailing studio to clean my car inside + ozone therapy for the car and after few days ozone effect is gone terrible smell is returned inside the car.Detailing studios was using crappy cleaning solutions so i am not happy i plan to use products from Usa and to clean headliner.... no idea how i can do this is it safe to do it with microfiber clothes + cleaning solution?

Please advice...
i dont plan to visit more car detailing people because so far i spend a lot of money and i have not seen the effect which i hoped to see, its simply thing to remove tyre odour of the car... should i try with some air freshners or something else , i need something extremely powerfull to remove this smell..
Car ozone treapy has been for 3 hours... and they charged me small fortune, and i received 2 days of car smelling of ozone... which was good but after 2nd day, car smell of tyres returned back to terrible tyre smell...
its possible that tyre smell already soaked into the carpet and everything so deply that no cleaning solution can do fix it.. i dont plan to remove my whole interior to fix the smell but any ideas and advice are welcomed...
I think if i clean the car headliner, with something great from USA , i will receive better results... i dont have any special tools, so i can either use microfiber clothes or brushes so please advice of any cleaning solutions and options...
i think headliner soaked up the smell... and i need to deeply clean it in order to fix the issue... even after cleaning still look dirty to me...
Anyone cleaned headliner so far i am afraid not to damage it as well.
I dont plant to replace/car/carpets/headliners simply to clean it and remove the smell. i also opened all of the doors for a lot of hours/days.... no luck and i used external air, and purification of ozone panasonic and i changed all of the car filters , no change at all..
Old 06-08-22, 05:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I'm merging this with the previous one that was closed with the same question.

Don't let it wander please or it will be re-closed.

My advice is take it back to the detailers to whom you paid a fortune and either ask for your money back, or tell them get back to work.

Sounds to me like this is beyond your capabilities unless you replace the carpet and headliner with new.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-08-22 at 06:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (06-08-22)

Quick Reply: Tyre//bad/smell in the car how to remove?