Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Coating

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-19, 07:01 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Coating

I applied a coat of GTechniq's CSL this weekend, and it came out awesome! I did thorough prep steps before applying the CSL, and was pretty impressed with how well it came out, even though I had done sort of a quick polish just 3 months ago. I think I may have used a little too much CSL, as a lot of it seemed to end up on my buffing cloths. I ended up using an entire 50 ml bottle of CSL, which seems like a lot for a sedan that has a panoramic roof that is mostly glass. Lesson learned.

The results are fantastic! The level of gloss is well above what I remembered from my last car, and it's stunning. It's also very slick to the touch, so I'm 100% satisfied with the effort and results. Then, after letting it sit for 12 hours or more, I applied a coat of C2v3, which raised it to an entirely different level for both gloss and touch. I was shocked at the difference it made. In reality, it might be a matter of me seeing what I want to see, but 2 of my neighbors agreed. Plus, I'm not convinced that dirt can possibly stick to anything that slick, and I also think my car is faster due to less wind resistance (I know! I'm joking!).

If anyone is thinking about doing a coating, I have a couple of thoughts. 1) It's definitely worth it, if only from an appearance standpoint. With my last car, it also made it a lot more easily maintained. I'm not sure why. 2) It's easier to apply than it seems. I tried to be methodical, and worked in pretty small sections (which may have also contributed to using a full bottle!). The most difficult part was making sure I got good coverage. I just took my time and didn't get rushed. 3) I had been wondering if coating technology had advanced past CSL since I applied it to my last car nearly 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure it has advanced, but I think CSL has also advanced. It seemed even easier to apply than last time (may be just me), and the gloss seems WAY better. As a result, I'm still completely sold on CSL. 4) I was also considering a coat of EXO on top of the CSL. I exchanged email with someone at GTechniq, who suggested that there wasn't much of a benefit over using either product as a stand alone. He suggested 2 coats of C2v3 on the newly applied CSL, with additional maintenance coats monthly. Based on what I saw yesterday, this was really good advice, and his willingness to make the suggestion costing them a sale of EXO was equally impressive.

Last edited by User 41924; 05-28-19 at 02:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Drivelex (06-12-19)
Old 05-28-19, 10:26 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

You should be able to do a single layer with 20-30mL. I need to order the C2V3 to try.

Something to note: words are great, but we like pictures too.
Beachtyme (05-28-19)
Old 05-29-19, 10:27 AM
cdmn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing your experience with the product.
Old 05-30-19, 05:49 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Thumbs up Applause@

GTechniq makes some awesome gear for sure! Matter of fact, the Co who did my PPF & Ceramic Coating gave me a Kit consisting of GTechniq products-stating that its what they recommend to maintain the finish of both the PPF and CC. I use "Wash" in my MT Foam Cannon, and the killer C2V3 Spray while wiping it down. Glad to see you loving these great products Woodrow!

*Ps. These shiny "Black Chrome" 20" Wheels w MPS4S Tires are for sale. Link to them in my Signature Line. They've ALL been Ceramic Coated 2 Times!
Old 06-30-19, 06:03 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

As you may have seen earlier in this thread, I applied a coat of CSL to my car a month ago, and was really pleased with how it came out. Today, I backed my car out of the garage today to do some work on my wife's RX, and parked it across the street. When I came back to start on the RX, I looked back to double check that I wasn't blocking our neighbor's driveway, and was struck by how pretty I think this car is. I love the body lines, but to me, the paint is outstanding. Adding the CSL has clearly enhanced the depth and shine of an already beautiful paint that highlights the lines of the car. In my humble opinion, of course. As pointed out by Blkexcoupe (who also has a beautiful car! One of my favorite Lexus models ever), words are OK but pictures are better. So .....

I had it at the dealer on Wed for the 5K mile checkup. They blessed me with the glossy tires. I prefer them clean, but Au Naturale.

Last edited by User 41924; 06-30-19 at 06:08 AM.
Blkexcoupe (06-30-19)
Old 06-30-19, 12:22 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

After you posted this thread, I did a CSL + EXO v4 install and it made me think about your other thread (asking about EXO). I'm going to stop topping the CSL with EXO for future installs. I like the end results, but its inefficient. The EXO adds cost and time to the installs.

I shot a couple clips of my first car wash after the CSL + EXO install. I hope you don't mind me adding it to this thread.

Rinsing off the paint

Blow drying the car

Originally Posted by Woodrow
As pointed out by Blkexcoupe (who also has a beautiful car! One of my favorite Lexus models ever)
Thank you, it's one of my favorites too. I've driven most of the newer models, but nothing beats jumping back into my SC and going for a nice cruise on the weekends.