Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Special Interest Forums > Automotive Care & Detailing
My new wash regimen - I didn't think paint could be so glossy after just a wash! >

My new wash regimen - I didn't think paint could be so glossy after just a wash!

Notices
Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

My new wash regimen - I didn't think paint could be so glossy after just a wash!

 
Old 04-28-19, 11:12 AM
  #1  
BrettKA7
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 75
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My new wash regimen - I didn't think paint could be so glossy after just a wash!

I want to begin this by saying while I am not new to detailing, I am fairly new to Optimum products. Any tips or criticisms are welcome.

When I was in a house with a driveway and a hose, I used to hand wash my car once every other week at my leisure. When I moved out of the house and into an apartment, I had to figure out what to do in order to wash my car at least as well as before.

For a while I filled two 5-gallon buckets, snapped some lids on them, and took them to the coin-op wash. That got tiring and I was always worried one would topple over in my trunk. Eventually I tried putting foaming wash in an ant poison sprayer. That didn`t give me the results I wanted plus I got weird looks and someone tried to make long conversation with me as product was drying on my car in the sun. Every time.

Finally, I tried making a sprayable ONR in a 32oz bottle. This is the best portable option I`ve tried so far. First, I clean the car best I can with just high pressure water on the paint. I fully clean my wheels with wheel woolies and the soap from the car was sprayer in the wash bay. Then, I do a no-spot rinse. Once I get the car into a parking spot for ONR, I liberally spray this concoction on the paint:

2oz ONR
1oz Optimum Car Wax
29oz distilled water

The ratio of ONR:distilled water comes from Optimum`s recommendation for a "quick detailer". Pulled from the Autogeek page:

"Add 8 ounces of No Rinse Wash & Shine to a gallon of water to make an excellent quick detailer.Fill up a spray bottle with this mixture and use it to clean and shine your vehicle, just as you would use a traditional detailer. The proprietary polymers bond to the paint surface to protect it from abrasion and micro-marring as you clean. The incredible formula leaves your vehicle extremely slick and glossy, like you just applied wax!"

ONR by itself certainly isn`t "like you just applied wax!" in my experience, but when you add 1oz Car Wax to this mixture, it looks and feels the same as spraying and wiping Car Wax on after washing. I have no visible marring at all on my car when viewed in the sun but it is grey with lots of metallic flake, so YMMV. I use about 1/2 towel per panel when washing with this combo because I am familiar with the way ONR works; it essentially transfers the dirt from your paint into the fibers of your towel.



BrettKA7 is offline  
Old 04-30-19, 04:53 AM
  #2  
GunnyFitz
Lexus Test Driver
 
GunnyFitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NOVA
Posts: 974
Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
Default

Never heard of using ONR in this method. Its actually meant to do "Waterless" Washes (Except for water in bucket)
When I used to use ONR, I would add it to the wash bucket, soak 8 Microfiber Towels in it, wring out one at a time, and use them on each section of the car while using a drying MF Towel to wipe off the residual. You can certainly wash your ride anyway you like, I just don't see added benefit of spraying it all down first - which also leads to water spotting. This video shows the ONR Rep using it with their "Big Red Sponge" which is what I substitute w MF Towels.

Also, I've made a habit of doing all my Wheels FIRST, but again-you do as you see best.
Since discovering my new Go To Product - I've ceased using ONR because I've found something 10X better (IMHO of course)

That Silver looks wicked clean though -nice job!
GunnyFitz is offline  
Old 05-01-19, 06:13 AM
  #3  
np20412
Lexus Fanatic
 
np20412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,831
Received 126 Likes on 115 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz View Post
Since discovering my new Go To Product - I've ceased using ONR because I've found something 10X better (IMHO of course)

That Silver looks wicked clean though -nice job!
ONR is pretty good standalone. There are other products out there that are just as good, or maybe better as well like you mention. But when you combine ONR with the rest of Optimum's lineup, you can see a HUGE difference in the performance of ONR on paint. They call it "Optimum Synergy" and it is not a lie. When I use ONR on top of my Opti-Coated surfaces, it cleans better, shines better, and repels dirt better than any other product I've used on the coated surface. With OP mixing Optimum Car Wax I'm sure he is seeing some of the benefits. OP - if you want even more pop - follow up your process with Opti-Seal and watch the magic. Opti-Seal will migrate through the Optimum Car Wax and provide an even more protected and glossy surface.
np20412 is offline  
Old 05-01-19, 07:10 AM
  #4  
GunnyFitz
Lexus Test Driver
 
GunnyFitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NOVA
Posts: 974
Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
Default

I don't doubt your result whatsoever. However, its not "always" accurate to state a product solely works best when combined with all other products within its brand line. For instance, I did not find that CarPro products did that well of a job brining out the best from my CQuartz Finest Reserve Ceramic Coating. In fact, GTechniq wash was advised to use on it, and subsequently another "Waterless Wash" product I've found produce the best finish Ive ever seen in my life. I have a cabinet full of unopened Optimum Products I don't intend on using, but would dissuade anyone from using them. Its all a matter of personal preference and opinion - just like everything else we choose to add / use on our mutual brand = Lexus!
GunnyFitz is offline  
Old 05-01-19, 07:35 AM
  #5  
np20412
Lexus Fanatic
 
np20412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,831
Received 126 Likes on 115 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz View Post
I don't doubt your result whatsoever. However, its not "always" accurate to state a product solely works best when combined with all other products within its brand line. For instance, I did not find that CarPro products did that well of a job brining out the best from my CQuartz Finest Reserve Ceramic Coating. In fact, GTechniq wash was advised to use on it, and subsequently another "Waterless Wash" product I've found produce the best finish Ive ever seen in my life. I have a cabinet full of unopened Optimum Products I don't intend on using, but would dissuade anyone from using them. Its all a matter of personal preference and opinion - just like everything else we choose to add / use on our mutual brand = Lexus!
Agreed. I didn't say always though, just definitely is the case with Optimum products and their overall line. They all are designed to play very well with each other, yielding a better result than if used standalone.
np20412 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (05-01-19)
Old 05-01-19, 01:57 PM
  #6  
fwhomeboy
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 644
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz View Post
I don't doubt your result whatsoever. However, its not "always" accurate to state a product solely works best when combined with all other products within its brand line. For instance, I did not find that CarPro products did that well of a job brining out the best from my CQuartz Finest Reserve Ceramic Coating. In fact, GTechniq wash was advised to use on it, and subsequently another "Waterless Wash" product I've found produce the best finish Ive ever seen in my life. I have a cabinet full of unopened Optimum Products I don't intend on using, but would dissuade anyone from using them. Its all a matter of personal preference and opinion - just like everything else we choose to add / use on our mutual brand = Lexus!
Make me a deal on all those Optimum products. I'll gladly use them.
fwhomeboy is offline  
Old 05-01-19, 02:13 PM
  #7  
GunnyFitz
Lexus Test Driver
 
GunnyFitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NOVA
Posts: 974
Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Hmmm

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy View Post
Make me a deal on all those Optimum products. I'll gladly use them.
Got a deal for ya. Buy, or find someone to buy my awesome 20" Wheel & Tire Package and I'll send you ALL of them FREE!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/market/917188

These are them. Barely used. Ready to mount up!



Last edited by GunnyFitz; 05-01-19 at 02:17 PM.
GunnyFitz is offline  
Old 05-01-19, 02:33 PM
  #8  
fwhomeboy
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 644
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz View Post
Got a deal for ya. Buy, or find someone to buy my awesome 20" Wheel & Tire Package and I'll send you ALL of them FREE!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/market/917188

These are them. Barely used. Ready to mount up!

I kinda knew you wouldn't sell those products that you said you would never use. Oh well.
fwhomeboy is offline  
Old 05-02-19, 02:39 AM
  #9  
GunnyFitz
Lexus Test Driver
 
GunnyFitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NOVA
Posts: 974
Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
Default

Not quite sure how to take that..What makes you say that?
GunnyFitz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: