Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

home car wash

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 08:47 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default home car wash

What are the steps to a basic home use car wash?
1. soap/water/rinse
2. clay bar
3.cleaner wax
4.sealant
5.wax

Noob at a this
Old 07-11-12, 05:51 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Here is a good video from Mike Phillips that describes the best practice in car washing.

This is my method.
1. Use only quality car wash soap and not dish washing detergent.
2. Wash the car in the shade when the paint is cool to the touch.
3. Use the two bucket method with grit guards to avoid marring the paint.
4. Use meticulously clean wash mitts. I prefer to use genuine sheepskin mitts.
5. Wash the wheels first with a separate bucket and an older wash mitt.
6. Wash the remainder of the car from the top down.
7. Rinse thoroughly.
8. Remove the hose nozzle and using low pressure, sheet off most of the water.
9. Dry the remaining water with a waffle weave drying towel using a blotting action.

Most paint swirls are caused during washing and drying so pay particular attention to being cautious here. Swirls are much easier to prevent than to remove.

If I'm not going to detail the car at this time, I'll go over it with Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax (UQW) after the wash. This will remove any missed water spots and leave the surface very slick and glossy. This also makes the car easier to clean the next time. UQW is not a replacement for a wax or sealant but more a refresher.

If I'm planning on a full detail, now is the time to clay, polish and seal and/or wax.

It is not necessary to use both a sealant and a wax. In any case, it is usually best not to apply a sealant over a wax as the wax may interfere with the sealant's bond to the paint. You may wax over a sealant if you leave time for the curing (cross-linking) to take place (minimum 12 hours to be safe).

Last edited by jfelbab; 07-11-12 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-11-12, 03:18 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Here is a good video from Mike Phillips that describes the best practice in car washing.

This is my method.
1. Use only quality car wash soap and not dish washing detergent.
2. Wash the car in the shade when the paint is cool to the touch.
3. Use the two bucket method with grit guards to avoid marring the paint.
4. Use meticulously clean wash mitts. I prefer to use genuine sheepskin mitts.
5. Wash the wheels first with a separate bucket and an older wash mitt.
6. Wash the remainder of the car from the top down.
7. Rinse thoroughly.
8. Remove the hose nozzle and using low pressure, sheet off most of the water.
9. Dry the remaining water with a waffle weave drying towel using a blotting action.

Most paint swirls are caused during washing and drying so pay particular attention to being cautious here. Swirls are much easier to prevent than to remove.

If I'm not going to detail the car at this time, I'll go over it with Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax (UQW) after the wash. This will remove any missed water spots and leave the surface very slick and glossy. This also makes the car easier to clean the next time. UQW is not a replacement for a wax or sealant but more a refresher.

If I'm planning on a full detail, now is the time to clay, polish and seal and/or wax.

It is not necessary to use both a sealant and a wax. In any case, it is usually best not to apply a sealant over a wax as the wax may interfere with the sealant's bond to the paint. You may wax over a sealant if you leave time for the curing (cross-linking) to take place (minimum 12 hours to be safe).
i was actually just looking for a thread like this

how to you apply the Meguiar's UQW?

For a while now I've been washing my car (in a similar method above) and then right after waxing it with Meguiar's Tech Wax 2.0. I was recently told that this wasn't necessary after EVERY wash is this true?

What is the actual time period that it is suggested to Fully detail a Car?
Old 07-11-12, 03:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,299 Posts

Waxing a car after every wash is excessive. I do mine maybe once a month, 6 weeks sometimes. I go by how the water beads and what the paint feels like after I've washed it. There is still a good amount of protection after 6 weeks but I like to have that fresh look. I almost always put on a quick wax after I wash, it's easy and it makes the car look so nice.

I give my car a complete detail 3-4 times a year, meaning wash, paint correction if needed, wax, engine clean and detail, undercarriage and wheel wells.
Old 07-11-12, 05:39 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
i was actually just looking for a thread like this

how to you apply the Meguiar's UQW?

For a while now I've been washing my car (in a similar method above) and then right after waxing it with Meguiar's Tech Wax 2.0. I was recently told that this wasn't necessary after EVERY wash is this true?

What is the actual time period that it is suggested to Fully detail a Car?
Meg's UQW is a wipe-on/wipe-off product much like a Quik Detailer. It leaves a coat of sealant that lasts for a few weeks but not as long as a product like NXT 2.0 or Meg's Ultimate Wax. The neat things about UQW are that you can apply it in the sun and you can apply it to your trim. It doesn't dry white or stain trim and leaves the trim with a nice sheen that lasts as long as most dedicated trim protectants. It also doesn't run down the side of the car like some trim protectants do.

It is not necessary to wax after every wash if you wash regularly. I use UQW after every wash to keep the paint slick and shiny. The slickness makes dirt release easily so washing is easier.

How frequently a full detail is needed varies on the environment the car is in anyhow well the car is cared for. If your car is a garage queen you might do this once a year. If it is a daily driver you may need or want to do a full detail every 3-4 months. There is no single difinitive answer.

That said, when you car's paint feels rough after you wash it you probably need to clay it. When it needs clay it will also need a reseal or rewax. After you clay, you should inspect the paint for swirls or marring to determine if polishing is also needed. If it doesn't need polishing move onto the Last Step Product (LSP) either a sealant or wax.

Last edited by jfelbab; 07-11-12 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-11-12, 07:06 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

meguiars ultimate wax doesn;t have the cleaner. can you go without it for a regular wax.
Old 07-11-12, 07:54 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by yeskay
meguiars ultimate wax doesn;t have the cleaner. can you go without it for a regular wax.
If you have stains or dirt in the pores of the paint a paint cleaner or light polish would be called for. I would use Meguiar's SwirlX or ScratchX from their consumer line or M205 from their professional line. These will clean and polish the paint prior to using a sealant or wax.

If the paint is clean and swirl free after claying you can skip these and move right to the LSP.

If you prefer an all-in one type product by all means use a Cleaner/Wax. The cleaner wax is decent, fast and easy.

Some people want a quick and easy product for decent looks and protection. Some other try to achieve the last bit of perfection from their paint and AIO doesn't quite meet that level. It's all good, It just depends on your choice.
Old 07-19-12, 09:17 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Rinse
foam
rinse
wash
rinse
clay if you're going to detail,,, can't clay with wax etc. On the car. Has to be stripped b4 clay
polish
sealant
wax