Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leather Cleaner and conditioners (LS430)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 09:56 AM
lucasmcain
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Cleaner and conditioners (LS430)

What should i use to clean and condition my leather seats?
Old 07-19-18, 11:30 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

You're going to get a bunch of answers. If you search, you'll see that this topic has been covered numerous times. You should consider the current condition of your leather before plotting a course of action though. If they are hard or really nasty, you might want to consider Leatherique, which is great at bringing back old, worn leather. If yours are like mine and are about as mint as can be, pretty much any leather cleaner and conditioner will work. I like 303 Leather 3-in-1 Complete care
Amazon Amazon
I use it on all of the leather surfaces in my LS and the leather really looks sharp. On our GX460 with the Ecru interior, it needed some work when we got it but 303 was up to the task. I like to use a coarse brush to work the product in.

Try searching if you have any other questions. This forum has a wealth of information and most of the commonly asked questions have been covered at one point in time or another. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (07-20-18)
Old 07-19-18, 11:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Been using Zaino for a long time (since late 2006). The BMW guys love it, it even smells good (some people said they wanted to drink it cuz it smells so good). When I used it in the LS430, the gas station attendant told me did you use some leather prep on this car (full serve NJ)?

http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-10.html
Old 07-19-18, 01:22 PM
fmalgapo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leather Rejuvenator
Old 07-19-18, 02:57 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by fmalgapo
Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leather Rejuvenator
THIS! One of the best ones I've ever used. Takes some more time than other cleaneres for the process but the results are worth it.
Old 07-19-18, 03:00 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Been using Zaino for a long time (since late 2006). The BMW guys love it, it even smells good (some people said they wanted to drink it cuz it smells so good). When I used it in the LS430, the gas station attendant told me did you use some leather prep on this car (full serve NJ)?

http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-10.html
I also use this stuff exclusively on my LS430, love it. 210K miles and still great looking. They changed the formula a few years back so its a little less thick (and as a result doesn't clock up the small air holes in our seats) and that change also reduced the awesome smell a bit, but still pretty good.
Old 07-19-18, 03:47 PM
Mike777
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recommend Oakwood (
Amazon Amazon
). I've used many brands of leather conditioners over the years, but this is the best, IMHO. My experiences with it on other leather items prompted me to use it when I finally got my first leather seats in my new (used) Lexus. It's doing a great job on some small portions of the leather that have dried out a bit from the previous owner. Everything is now nice and soft, and it smells great.
Old 07-20-18, 03:53 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

I like Zaino leather cleaner and follow up with their conditioner leather in a bottle. Both make the leather smell new again. The cleaner use with a soft Kiwi shoe brush to agitate the leather.
Old 07-20-18, 05:46 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by lucasmcain
I don't use conditioners on protected leather. Instead I clean and apply a fluorocarbon protector. I routinely wipe the leather down with a wrung-out cotton towel.

If you speak with leather professionals about caring for protected leather they will often use the term conditioner and will explain that they are referring to the proper hydration of the leather. Leather fibers are like a sponge. They freely take up and release H2O molecules through a process called transpiration, That is to say, they absorb H2O through elevated humidity levels. When they do, the leather fibers swell and plump up. This makes the leather soft and less prone to creasing and cracking. When leather dries the fibers shrink and harden. Over time, this leads to creasing and cracking. If you've ever owned a chamois you know what I'm speaking of.

Conditioners main benefit is their H2O content. Their main problem is that they often leave the leather with a film which alters the "Hand" or feel of the leather. Leaving it feeling grabby or slippery depending on what they put in the conditioner. You may like the feel but that same film left on the leather is what attracts and holds on to dust and dirt. It is what will cause faster wear of your topcoat as you slide in and out of the vehicle.
Old 07-20-18, 09:58 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Cool Opinions Are Like....

Originally Posted by lucasmcain
(Sarcastic)

As stated, you are going to get a TON of different options to roll with on this one buddy! I have personally tried at least a dozen (Hell more than that!) different Leather Cleaners and Conditioners in my life. At least 4 on my current RCF!

Get yourself on one of the better Car Care Forums such as "Detailed Image, AutoGeek (MY Fave) and several others who literally test many different brands and types where you can see the results in Photos etc. Recently tried the "Leatherique" Method on my 05 Dodge Ram which I keep meticulous, and have to admit - that stuff SERIOUSLY CLEANS the heck outta leather!! (Several others here like it too, and I agree about letting it sit out in the hot sun to bake after smothering the Rejuvenator all over it!)

However, I fall into a category most don't like. I actually like my New Leather to have somewhat of a "Shine or Sheen" as its called. No NOT Armour All Shine either! lol.

My fallback and current love is the big gallon of Meguiars Leather Conditioner because it leaves me with a little bling on it, smells outstanding, and lasts longer than many of the others Ive tried. And I mean Zaino, Chemical Guys, Zymol, Pinnacle Black Label, Griots, Lexol, Leather Honey, Mothers, etc etc etc. And I keep coming back to this.....

https://www.autogeek.net/d180-leather-cleaner.html

Since I got this new Rocket RCF Ive actually became an Amateur Detailer and been using ALL sorts of stuff like Power Washers, Foam Cannons, ONR, Ceramic Coatings on top of PPF, you name it I probably got it in my garage! OH- the best piece of gear in the world is the MetroVac Air Force Master Blaster guys!! INVEST!

Sorry OP-= Got all carried away with myself and you only asked one question. Hope I helped a bit?

Gunny Out........