Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Engine bay cleaning on NX

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-17, 07:02 PM
jdt
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Engine bay cleaning on NX

Popped the hood on my nx today in almost 2 years and it looks filthy. Anyone got any tips on cleaning the engine bay? I've never done this before and after some research online I'm not too sure if I want to hose down the engine with water. Do lexus dealers offer engine bay cleaning?
Old 07-17-17, 07:56 PM
DiscoMnky
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cover the battery and alternator with plastic bags. Only use low pressure water (NO pressure washer). Rinse engine bay. Spray some engine degreaser of your choice. Agitate with a soft/med bristle brush like for cleaning wheels. Then rinse off. Dry off as much as you can with a chamois or towel. Use some trim detailer on the plastics after it is completely dry. I do this to all of my cars once a year. It is perfectly safe.
Old 07-17-17, 10:23 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

....or you can take your car to the local detailer and save all the muss and fuss. Also, the detailer will/should have the equipment to capture the pollutants that come from washing the engine and keep them from polluting the ground water.

My detailer charges me US $50 to make the engine pristine again, and all the runoff is captured IAW EPA standards.
Old 07-18-17, 04:46 AM
Lazerboy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DampDuffer
....or you can take your car to the local detailer and save all the muss and fuss. Also, the detailer will/should have the equipment to capture the pollutants that come from washing the engine and keep them from polluting the ground water.

My detailer charges me US $50 to make the engine pristine again, and all the runoff is captured IAW EPA standards.
Here some very very good tips, I used this myself and I recommend it.

Last edited by Lazerboy; 07-18-17 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-18-17, 12:42 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

How to Detail Your Engine Bay by Todd Cooperrider
Old 07-18-17, 01:10 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DampDuffer

Just because your detailer charges $50 doesn't mean his local detailer will charge the same price. Cleaning the engine bay is simple. Remove any plastic coverings and clean them with whatever interior cleaner you use. Cover the battery and alternator with a plastic bag (I've never do it). Lightly spray down the engine bay with water being careful not to spray directly at one area for too long. Spray one some degreaser (I use the natural orange stuff). Let it sit for about 5 minutes, then use a brush to clean the bay (I use the ez clean wheel brushes because they they get into small areas. Then rinse off all the dirt and use a leaf blower to dry the engine bay (optional).
Old 03-19-18, 12:12 PM
winglesss
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 for existing information.

When I wash, I use regular car soap w/ mitt, light fresh water rinse and towel dry.