Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Will steam cleaning the engine damage it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-17, 11:23 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Will steam cleaning the engine damage it?

I know there's a lot of debates to this, but if done properly (i.e. not getting moisture into vulnerable electronics, accidentally disconnecting hoses, etc.) does it really damage the engine in some other way? I know the alternator gets wet all the time (from driving in the rain), so spraying water into it isn't going to do damage (correct me if I'm wrong). What about chemicals degrading parts of the engine?
Old 05-11-17, 05:10 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

I use Meguiars super degreaser (lightest dilution) in engine bay with success, various microfiber, wet/dry vacuum, and steam to clean engine. It doesn't have to be 100%, even 10-15 minutes spent you can make a huge difference. The problem at least for me with using open water in the bay is that this engine bay has quite a few electronics and wiring so using running water and adding risk for having a clean engine bay wasn't worth it for me. I'm not saying it can't be done, however I just didn't feel comfortable with splashing water all over the bay things can get quite pricey with this car. You can get far with steam, wet/dry vac, microfiber, degreasers, and a little love!
Old 05-11-17, 07:12 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

No, steam cleaning will not damage your engine as long as you use common sense.

Using chemicals, water, and scrub brushes will also not damage your engine... as long as you use common sense.
The following users liked this post:
k20trick (05-12-17)
Old 05-30-17, 01:17 PM
ap2s2k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by k20trick
I use Meguiars super degreaser (lightest dilution) in engine bay with success, various microfiber, wet/dry vacuum, and steam to clean engine. It doesn't have to be 100%, even 10-15 minutes spent you can make a huge difference. The problem at least for me with using open water in the bay is that this engine bay has quite a few electronics and wiring so using running water and adding risk for having a clean engine bay wasn't worth it for me. I'm not saying it can't be done, however I just didn't feel comfortable with splashing water all over the bay things can get quite pricey with this car. You can get far with steam, wet/dry vac, microfiber, degreasers, and a little love!
Same with me detailing my F, I can sit for two days massaging the paint with menzerna micro finish but engine bay gets only wipe downs, maybe if it was a show car or prep for resale I would use some water but like you said, to many things that can go wrong with electronics.