ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Washing the engine bay out - what to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-11, 11:01 PM
AndyG
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Washing the engine bay out - what to look out for?

I was looking at this pic I took of my engine bay and realized it's dirty as all get out.

I've never washed an engine bay before as crazy as that may seem and from what I've read it says be careful not to spray any water on anything electrical. I understand not directly spraying the battery and alternator, but what about the sensors, wiring harnesses, etc?

Has anyone washed their ES engine bays and if I wash mine out, should I cover anything or look out to not spray certain areas or just go full bore and clean the whole sucker out?

Thanks for any tips, please pardon any ignorance.
Old 03-01-11, 11:07 PM
AndyG
Pole Position

Ok after 5 more minutes of research I see the best method is good old fashioned hard work in the form of rags and good cleaning solution and not spraying water on it after all.
Old 03-01-11, 11:47 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, pretty much man. Better to do that than risk having water go in places it shouldn't
Old 03-02-11, 05:42 AM
BK4293
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use simple green and a garden watering can, making sure to stay away from all of the electrical I can. It's also not a bad idea to cover your airbox and afm with a plastic bag.
Old 03-02-11, 07:36 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

One of the safest thing to use, if you have one, is a steamer, with some Simple Green pre-sprayed directly on the dirt.

As already noted however, just make sure that you don't spray on any electrical Components.

Phil
Old 03-02-11, 10:12 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I 1st cover the timing belt,alternater n battery with plastic/grocery bag..n then I use meguiars engine to spray all over n in every corners..let it sit for few minutes while I take a rag n clean some hard greasy areas..n then spary with hose using less water as possible..hv been doin it @least twice a year=no problem..
Old 03-02-11, 10:50 AM
AndyG
Pole Position

Nice tips everyone, thanks! Just detailed the outside and interior, might get inside the engine today also.
Old 03-02-11, 11:05 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Is it safe to use a water hose if u cover up the necessary parts? If someone could put up pics of exactly what to cover, that would be great.
Old 03-02-11, 01:46 PM
HamBurglar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by akabond
Well I 1st cover the timing belt,alternater n battery with plastic/grocery bag..n then I use meguiars engine to spray all over n in every corners..let it sit for few minutes while I take a rag n clean some hard greasy areas..n then spary with hose using less water as possible..hv been doin it @least twice a year=no problem..
I've always been too much of a wuss to do this, always thought I would mess something up.
What part of Houston are you in? I'll pay you to clean mine since you are experienced in this.
Old 03-02-11, 03:45 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Y'all are in houston to? I can't see on my phone. Id be willing to pay if someone knows how to clean under the hood and get it looking new
Old 03-02-11, 09:28 PM
imherenow
Racer

ya i m in Canada now...will be here for a while..but it is not that hard. Ya i was also very scared when i 1st started it. I will try to take pic of what to cover. Some people dont cover anything but i guess i just want to be cautious. A few things to keep in mind also that 1) do not wash it when the engine is hot . Wash it 1st thing in morning. And 2) if you have a "check engine light" warning then DO NOT wash the engine @all. (be on safe side)
I think i will have DIY on engine clean maybe next weekend.
Old 03-02-11, 09:41 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

ya i m in Canada now...will be here for a while..but it is not that hard. Ya i was also very scared when i 1st started it. I will try to take pic of what to cover. Some people dont cover anything but i guess i just want to be cautious. A few things to keep in mind also that 1) do not wash it when the engine is hot . Wash it 1st thing in morning. And 2) if you have a "check engine light" warning then DO NOT wash the engine @all. (be on safe side)
Looking forward to it ^^^ In Canada EH? My neck of the woods... kinda cold at least where I am to be doing too much car cleaning... unless you indoors.
Old 03-02-11, 09:47 PM
AndyG
Pole Position

That would be great; I hand cleaned alot of the inside of the engine today but I've got a laughable amount of work to do still until it's actually where I want it to be.
Old 03-02-11, 09:54 PM
imherenow
Racer

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Looking forward to it ^^^ In Canada EH? My neck of the woods... kinda cold at least where I am to be doing too much car cleaning... unless you indoors.
Well theres a underground garage that has a high pressure washer and car soap attached for 2 bucks..pretty awesome and away from cold
Old 03-02-11, 10:00 PM
imherenow
Racer

well i had washed engine of my Volvo S80 in summer and here are few pics. As u can see ihave covered the timing belt and alternator (top ) with grocery plastic bag. It doesnt has to be fully covered but try to cover those as much as possible. I dont think water going onto those will be harmful. But i could be wrong since i have always covered it as much as possible and avoided get it wet to my best.
The battery is located in the trunk so thats kinda kool...

before...
Attached Thumbnails Washing the engine bay out - what to look out for?-volvo.jpg   Washing the engine bay out - what to look out for?-volvo1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Washing the engine bay out - what to look out for?