Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Is this a defect?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-17, 08:57 PM
rbinweho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a defect?

Purchased a 2017 RX350 yesterday. I didn't notice the leather is creased in the front seat by the time I got it home. Called the dealer today and was told by my salesperson that "All leather is subject to minor creases, it's not a defect."

I've had a lot of vehicles with leather seats, and none of them have ever had anything like this. Has anyone ever seen something like this? Any suggestions on how to get a remedy?
Attached Thumbnails Is this a defect?-20170705_175205.jpg   Is this a defect?-20170705_175159.jpg  
Old 07-06-17, 01:38 AM
acotugno
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I also noticed a minor crease on the front passenger seat of my 2017 RX350. I applied a high-quality leather conditioner (Pinnacle) to all the leather in my interior just as a protectant but it also seemed to diminish the crease. I would point it out to the dealer and have them document it but in my opinion, I would leave it alone for now as it might work it's way out.

I give you the same advice I give myself - enjoy the vehicle and try to come to terms that it is not, nor will it stay perfect. Hope that helps a bit.
Old 07-06-17, 07:53 AM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It is your car and you paid for it. If you are not happy about it, ask your dealer to detail it. I wouldn't try to do anything by myself at this moment yet.
If they tell you this is normal, then tell them you don't like this "normal". They will do what they can to make it as invisible as possible. In the future, if it gets worse, they wouldn't have any excuses.
Old 07-06-17, 09:15 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

If you got the premium leather, then you're going to have imperfections. My '08 GS460 came with the semi-aniline leather, which has random creases and scarring from the factory. These are totally natural imperfections for high quality leather. My parents got the basic leather option on their '14 RX, and it feels like a hard vinyl seat in comparison; however, the seats look absolutely flawless. To me, the creases and imperfections are well worth it when it comes to the overall feel of the semi-aniline. Just ran down to check, and I have three different creases like that on both seats (one on driver's side, two on passenger's). But, in the end, if you're not happy with it, keep nagging Lexus until they agree to take it back or replace it If the dealership won't listen, reach out to their headquarters directly.

Being somebody who has been blessed with OCD, I completely understand the pains of owning a new car with imperfections. Over the years, I've just learned to deal with them and consider it character. No matter what car you buy, there's ALWAYS going to be something that stands out. A crease in the seat is better than an electrical gremlin, or a creaking moon roof. If the rest of the car is perfect, I say roll with it and wait for other imperfections to surface, that way it'll make you overlook this one.
Old 07-06-17, 11:44 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Try hitting it with a blow dryer or heat gun.

And it is true that real leather are easily able to crack and crease vs synthetic. My IS came with Nuluxe (Lexus Fake Leather), and it is holding up pretty well, almost 2 years. Only crease is on the thigh bolsters, which sometimes rub when getting in and out.
Old 07-06-17, 12:00 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Please don't dry out the leather with a heat gun. Get a white (you don't want color which might bleed out into the leather) cloth. Dampen it with warm water. Lay it on the crease, and leave the car out in the hot July sun all day. The cheap easy way to steam the seat. If you talk to a upholster, they will show you how they steam the leather to remove creases.
Old 07-09-17, 02:08 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

it looks like normal creases in leather...not a defect best remedy is to not sit on them really if you don't want them to crease.
Old 07-10-17, 03:36 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Looks very similar to this picture which is located in "Leather seat creases" in Auto detail section....Looks like it's in the same place.
Old 07-12-17, 05:19 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord

Looks very similar to this picture which is located in "Leather seat creases" in Auto detail section....Looks like it's in the same place.
Definitely, probably similar to all the isfs that has the driver side bolster creased.