Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Niche "dark tint" finish, how to wash it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-16, 10:32 AM
Max16
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Niche "dark tint" finish, how to wash it?

I got the M114 wheels from Niche on my F.
Been 3 months I have them. My car never sees rain and I wash it every 2 weeks.
I'm using Sonax wheel cleaner most of the time. I also used P21s and regular car soap. I'm using a brush and a mitt to clean them.
These wheels are impossible to maintain, the finish is so rough that everything stays there. The "white" effect on the picture is what I can't wash.

Someone got the same finish? If yes, how do you take care of them?
Attached Thumbnails Niche "dark tint" finish, how to wash it?-niche-wash.jpg  
Old 08-09-16, 10:46 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Are the wheels stained? That does not look like normal dirty buildup, but perhaps chemical staining. Dirt and brake dust buildup is typically darker in color, not a lighter color, and if you are unable to have any effect on the appearance with sonax wheel cleaner, soap, brushes, then I will again have to lean towards actually surface stains in the wheel and not just dirt on the surface.

FWIW - You do not need to use Sonax wheel cleaner every 2 weeks. Brake dust should wash away easily with just soap and water when wheels are cleaned often. If you happened to have cleaned the wheels while they were warm, or if you left a chemical of any kind, or even hard water, on the surface long enough that it began to dry, you may have damaged the finish of the wheel. It appears these are supposed to be me a matte or satin finish, so polishing them is not an option. So - if you're truly unable to improve the appearance in the manner you already described, I would bet the wheels are damaged, not just dirty.
Old 08-09-16, 10:50 AM
tc1728
Rookie

I have the 2 piece track series Gran Prix in black and DDT. I have tried to keep them clean but decided its not worth the effort anymore, I just use simple green and a hose, I then dry off with a towel. But I do agree that DDT is tricky, I'm considering changing the color of the faces because of this. I should have coated the wheels when they were new, it may have helped.

Last edited by tc1728; 08-09-16 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-09-16, 10:54 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

since your wheels already this fudged, just get some diluted simple green and one of those green sponges and go at it!
Old 08-09-16, 11:00 AM
Max16
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Are the wheels stained? That does not look like normal dirty buildup, but perhaps chemical staining. Dirt and brake dust buildup is typically darker in color, not a lighter color, and if you are unable to have any effect on the appearance with sonax wheel cleaner, soap, brushes, then I will again have to lean towards actually surface stains in the wheel and not just dirt on the surface.

FWIW - You do not need to use Sonax wheel cleaner every 2 weeks. Brake dust should wash away easily with just soap and water when wheels are cleaned often. If you happened to have cleaned the wheels while they were warm, or if you left a chemical of any kind, or even hard water, on the surface long enough that it began to dry, you may have damaged the finish of the wheel. It appears these are supposed to be me a matte or satin finish, so polishing them is not an option. So - if you're truly unable to improve the appearance in the manner you already described, I would bet the wheels are damaged, not just dirty.
The finish is very matte, even when new.
If I rub the wheel with my finger, my finger comes dirty.
I tried yesterday with a cleaner wax, it does help but not perfect.

Never washed the wheels when warm. Sonax recommend leaving the cleaner on for 1min but I don'T even go there. I leave it for like 20-30sec....
Old 08-09-16, 11:08 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Do you fully dry the wheels after cleaning? There are marks in the photo you had sent that are clearly the result of liquid drying on the surface. Allowing even just regular water to dry on any surface can leave staining/spotting that will leave permanent damage.

Matte finishes are quite delicate since we are unable to polish them to remove surface staining and defects. With that being said, if you rub the wheel with your finger and it still appears to be dirty after cleaning, something is not right. Spraying the wheel with cleaner and then agitating with a wash mitt and brush should remove any loose contamination & dirt.
Old 08-09-16, 11:52 AM
Max16
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Do you fully dry the wheels after cleaning? There are marks in the photo you had sent that are clearly the result of liquid drying on the surface. Allowing even just regular water to dry on any surface can leave staining/spotting that will leave permanent damage.

Matte finishes are quite delicate since we are unable to polish them to remove surface staining and defects. With that being said, if you rub the wheel with your finger and it still appears to be dirty after cleaning, something is not right. Spraying the wheel with cleaner and then agitating with a wash mitt and brush should remove any loose contamination & dirt.
I don't dry them but clearly there is still dirt trapped in the wheel. I tried just applying some Carpro Eraser with a microfiber and it came out dirty.
Old 08-17-16, 12:34 PM
Max16
Pole Position

So I was just told by MHT (Niche) that I probably left brake dust on them for too long....
Wow, I'm in the car scene since 20 years and it never happened to me....
These wheels are like super high maintenance, he told me to wash them everyday. Makes no sense to me.
Old 08-18-16, 05:23 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Washing every 2 weeks is not "too long" in my opinion... unless you're at the track, or drive spiritedly and work up way more brake dust than most of us do. Washing every day is nonsense, and if that is all they can recommend to their customers, they should not sell matte wheels.

I have never seen brake dust create light colored stains, so I will again say that I believe a chemical or water was left on them to dry which caused the staining. In any case, satin and matte finishes are very delicate because there is no way to polish them if surface staining does occur (from cleaners, water spots, etc), so hopefully others will learn from this, but sorry you're having to figure it out the hard way.
Old 08-18-16, 03:53 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

maybe you let the sonax wheel cleaner dry on a hot wheel...