Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to care for liquid graphite wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-13, 07:59 PM
wbevwbev
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to care for liquid graphite wheels?

Just bought a 2010 IS-250-C with Liquid Graphite Alloy wheels. What are some suggestions for keeping them looking like new when washing at home? How can I tell if they are clear coated? Usually I just wash, dry, and wax my wheels, but I wonder if there is more that could be done.
Old 03-22-13, 08:20 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

put a sealant on them and wash them as you would hte rest of the car. its not rocket science. dont need a wheel cleaner if you will wash it regularly. plus lexus brake dust is not like on some other cars that's a pita to get off.
Old 03-23-13, 06:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

They're clear coated, no different than any of Lexus other painted wheels, just wash and protect like you do the rest of the paint on the car.
Old 03-23-13, 07:56 AM
wbevwbev
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, sounds like keeping them clean and an occasional waxing will work, then. Thanks!
Old 03-23-13, 06:50 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I recommend Sonax wheel cleaner, followed by ironx, then a sealant. It'll make future leaning a heck of a lot easier.
Old 03-24-13, 07:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I just have never had a need to use a wheel cleaner if the car is washed regularly. I wouldn't use wheel cleaners if I didn't have to. If you're washing regularly, soap and water is all you need.
Old 03-24-13, 08:14 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Just opti-coat them and never worry about it again.
Old 03-24-13, 01:16 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I just have never had a need to use a wheel cleaner if the car is washed regularly. I wouldn't use wheel cleaners if I didn't have to. If you're washing regularly, soap and water is all you need.
You'll be surprised how much iron deposits are left on your wheels from micro brake dust. Only a ph balanced neutralizer like ironx will remove it, soap and water will not.
Old 03-24-13, 04:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sure, over time iron deposits need to be removed, no question about that. Iron X is not a wheel cleaner though, I'm talking about people who feel the need to use wheel cleaners every time they wash and you just don't have to.

However, I have had cars well past 100k miles that have had the wheels regularly cleaned with soap and water and never clayed, sealed, waxed, iron X'd, and the wheels looked like new. The issue with using wheel cleaners all the time is that they can damage the surface of the wheels.
Old 03-24-13, 04:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Same here. My cars get washed regularly and I've never found the need for a wheel cleaner. If they get a little dirtier than normal a little extra car wash soap and water and they look good. I don't think a specialty cleaner can hurt, I'm not sure they are really needed though.
Old 03-24-13, 04:55 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

No doubt you can clean your wheels just fine with standard shampoo, but specialty cleaners are meant to deal with the different type of dirt and grime that your wheels see and your paint does not - like brake dust. As mentioned before, wheel cleaners will do a better job cleaning the wheel - even if you cannot truly see a difference. To me it is the same logic as - I could wash my car with dish washing detergent and it would look better than it does now... but a car shampoo will do much better.
Old 03-24-13, 05:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You can also seriously damage your wheels with the wrong cleaners, cleaners applied to hot wheels, cleaners incompletely rinsed, etc.

I'm a former professional detailer, and a hobbyist detailer still myself. You simply do not need to use wheel cleaners if you are washing your vehicle say once a week, or once every other week. If you use something after the winter, or maybe when you do a full detail a few times a year thats one thing, but I do not recommend using them on a regular basis.
Old 03-24-13, 06:12 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Common sense is to not wash a car that was just driven or is still hot... Not sure what you are/were using, however a proper pH neutral cleaner is totally safe to use for washing - no matter how often. While the "heavy duty" stuff like Sonax is a waste to use for each wash, it will not damage your wheel when used properly. I personally use CG Diablo Gel mixed 5:1 for maintenance washes.
Old 03-25-13, 06:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Common sense is to not wash a car that was just driven or is still hot...
You have more faith in the common sense of people than me. I see plenty of threads on here with questions about etching and staining of wheels by improperly using wheel cleaners.

Not sure what you are/were using, however a proper pH neutral cleaner is totally safe to use for washing - no matter how often.
I just have never needed to use any sort of wheel cleaner to clean my wheels.
Old 03-25-13, 06:40 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I remove my wheels once each season and thoroughly detail them, inside and out, including a coat of sealant. Using a wheel cleaner would compromise that sealant. I generally keep my wheels clean throughout the year by cleaning them like any other painted surface. I also use Meguiar's Quik Wheel Detailer occasionally when the car only needs a QD and not a wash.

I'm generally not a fan of wheel cleaners except for severe cases of neglect. I've seen a number of ruined wheels caused by use of the wrong type of cleaner or by letting it dwell too long.