Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How do you wash Wheels / rims with ONR?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-16, 09:30 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you wash Wheels / rims with ONR?

Any tips on how to wash Wheels & and Tires using ONR and has no access to a hose?
I tried to wash it with just ONR and those brake dust won't go off. Do I need to use Iron X before I use ONR on the wheels? And how do you rinse it off since I have no access to hose & water?
Old 12-22-16, 07:48 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Just search on youtube for "onr wheel cleaning" and there are many videos out there with ideas on how to handle various wheel cleaning situations with rinseless washing products.
Old 12-22-16, 09:32 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

If you need extra rinse, you can consider having an extra spray bottle and fill it with water. Obviously not as effective as a hose but it does the job
Old 12-22-16, 11:41 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just spray it down with ONR and scrub once then respray/rewipe for each wheel. Takes more time but it gets it done.
Old 12-23-16, 06:40 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

That's what I did, but it won't remove all the brake dust. I guess I will need a Wheel Cleaner.
Just not sure which one to buy, there's too many of them out there. I was thinking getting the AMMO Plum wheel cleaner , but they take too long to ship. Last items I bought from Ammo took over a week to get to me.

Last edited by jincuteguy; 12-23-16 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-26-16, 02:15 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

How often are you cleaning your wheels? My ISF puts off a lot of brake dust, but cleaning the wheels every 1-2 weeks and it wipes away easily with rinseless wash or just soap and water. If you need a wheel cleaner for routine maintenance then you're not cleaning often enough.
Old 12-26-16, 05:18 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
How often are you cleaning your wheels? My ISF puts off a lot of brake dust, but cleaning the wheels every 1-2 weeks and it wipes away easily with rinseless wash or just soap and water. If you need a wheel cleaner for routine maintenance then you're not cleaning often enough.
Yea my IS200T has a lot of brake dust for the 2 front wheels, and I have no idea why. Is this normal for Lexus cars? Like just after 5 days, and my 2 front wheels are completely matte black, filled with all brake dust.
I clean my wheels & car every week. Yea you're right, the brake dust are pretty easy to come off, I also coated my wheels with CQ Finest.
But I just don't want my 2 front wheels to look like matte black and dirty so easy. Is there another solution for this? Is something wrong with my 200T? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-26-16, 06:21 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Front wheels always have more brake dust... they provide the majority of the stopping power. It is normal for most higher end cars to have higher dusting pads, however there are always lower dusting options available. Ask around in your vehicle forum for low dusting pad recommendations.

The large performance brakes on the ISF make it so that just one trip in my car and my front wheels are dirty, but it is what it is.

The solution is to just clean the wheels more frequently and/or get low dusting pads. Nothing wrong. It is normal.
Old 12-26-16, 10:10 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

Yea I guess I would have to get a different brake pads. But then it won't have the braking performance as these pads, so I guess there's always a trade off.
Old 12-27-16, 06:55 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by jincuteguy
Yea I guess I would have to get a different brake pads. But then it won't have the braking performance as these pads, so I guess there's always a trade off.
That is not always the case... do some research... find some high performance, low dusting pads for your vehicle.

Once my OEM's wear out, there are some project my pads that many ISF owners swear by for greatly reducing dust and great bite. Check with some of our forum sponsors who sell braking components if you can't find any help from other vehicle owners in your forum.
Old 12-27-16, 03:08 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jincuteguy
Do you track your car? If not, I wouldn't worry about performance trade-offs. There are many aftermarket pads that work just as well as the OEM pads around the city. Ceramic pads will dust just as much as semi-metallic. The difference is the dust is lighter in color so it's less noticeable.
Old 12-28-16, 08:10 AM
jincuteguy
Driver

No I dont track my car, it's just a daily driver. Yea I need to look for a Ceramic pads that give lower brake dust + lighter in color.
Old 01-02-17, 09:34 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

Anyone knows if this Microfiber towel from The Rag Company http://www.theragcompany.com/product...owel-blue.html

is the same one as the Double Thick Edgeless Towel from DetailedImage? http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...28/16-x-16-S1/
Old 01-03-17, 09:30 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Product specs should answer your questions.... the Rag Co towel is 16x24, DI towel is 16x16. Rag Co towel is 480 GSM, DI towel is 470 GSM.

They do look similar though. I use the Double Thick Edgeless Towel regularly.
Old 01-03-17, 02:13 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Product specs should answer your questions.... the Rag Co towel is 16x24, DI towel is 16x16. Rag Co towel is 480 GSM, DI towel is 470 GSM.

They do look similar though. I use the Double Thick Edgeless Towel regularly.
I meant to link the 16x16 one from the Rag Company http://www.theragcompany.com/product...ber-towel.html
So I def think they're the same ones.

Yea I bought some Double Thick Edgeless Towels from DI, so far they're really good. But if the ones from the Rag Company is better, than I'll jump the ship.