Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dashboard discoloration

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-16, 10:40 AM
gfung00
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dashboard discoloration

Has anyone else noticed discoloration on their dash? I have white spots in various locations all over the dash. I've tried cleaning them but they won't come off
The following users liked this post:
kdl9238 (08-02-18)
Old 03-29-16, 11:36 AM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, i noticed some white marks. Detailer at the dealer cleaned them off but there are some marks that aren't coming off. If the only fix is to replace the entire dash, i will probably just live with the marks. I might escalate to Lexus Corp.
The following users liked this post:
kdl9238 (08-02-18)
Old 08-02-18, 03:41 PM
kdl9238
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a new 2018 RX 450h. I simply wiped the dash off with a clean, micro fiber cloth and it left scuff marks. I then wiped the dash lightly with my hand and got more white scuff marks. Dealer said this is an issue with the material and not to use microfiber cloths, as they will damage the dashboard--even though Lexus CO. recommends using micro fiber cloths. I'm so confused and frustrated that my car (with 500 mi) has scuff marks all over the dashboard and the dealer cannot seem to fix them.

Also, the service advisor told me to simply "never wipe off your dash board" totally unreasonable.

Not sure what to do to fix this.

Can anyone help me?
Old 08-02-18, 04:09 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by kdl9238
I just bought a new 2018 RX 450h. I simply wiped the dash off with a clean, micro fiber cloth and it left scuff marks. I then wiped the dash lightly with my hand and got more white scuff marks. Dealer said this is an issue with the material and not to use microfiber cloths, as they will damage the dashboard--even though Lexus CO. recommends using micro fiber cloths. I'm so confused and frustrated that my car (with 500 mi) has scuff marks all over the dashboard and the dealer cannot seem to fix them.

Also, the service advisor told me to simply "never wipe off your dash board" totally unreasonable.

Can anyone help me?
I'd say the dealer put some kind of gook on the interior pre-delivery. Buy some kind of vinyl cleaner and wipe off the dash.
Old 08-02-18, 04:16 PM
kdl9238
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Service manager at Lexus showed me another car (same model) that was in for the same thing--similar scuffs. He said the dashboards are delicate and cannot be cleaned with any sort of cleaner (other than water), or it could void my warranty. He also said I should not apply any chemicals at all to the surface. I'm confused and worried about this. I see that other people have commented on the same issue with their Toyota Highlanders, etc.

Any other suggestions for things that have worked for this problem?
Old 08-02-18, 05:50 PM
ssmtsx
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I use a swifter to wipe down my dash. I have also used the same leather conditioner that I use on my seats on the dash board. I have not had any issues.
Old 08-02-18, 07:39 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

In the past year and a half of my 2017 RX450h, I have used Meguiar’s Quick Interior Detailer for cleaning all plastic parts and dash with a micro fiber cloth. No issues. I even use micro fiber cloths to clean the leather with water and some Woolite. Also the dash is constantly scraped by my windshield cover several times a day and no issues.

Could it it be some glass cleaner with ammonia or something harsh that is fallen on the dash when the windshield is cleaned?
Old 08-02-18, 09:34 PM
Skygc
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same issue. I first saw the white mark around the front passenger side dash drawer button. It was caused by me opening the drawer. As I try to clean it up with water and micro fiber tower, it got worse. Now the whole area has white line. I will bring it to my dealer attention at my first oil change.
Worse is yet to come. My wife open the passenger side window and put her arm on the door by the window base. And guess what, HUGE white discoloring. I try to clean it with micro fiber towel, and I CANNOT get rid of it. I am so mad.... but I can blame her. Many people put the arm by the window to enjoy the wind.
The plastic on this car is made of some weird material. You touch it and it will have permanent white mark. FYI, my car is 2017 and only has almost 5000 miles on it.
Old 08-03-18, 06:13 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Skygc
I have the same issue. I first saw the white mark around the front passenger side dash drawer button. It was caused by me opening the drawer. As I try to clean it up with water and micro fiber tower, it got worse. Now the whole area has white line. I will bring it to my dealer attention at my first oil change.
Worse is yet to come. My wife open the passenger side window and put her arm on the door by the window base. And guess what, HUGE white discoloring. I try to clean it with micro fiber towel, and I CANNOT get rid of it. I am so mad.... but I can blame her. Many people put the arm by the window to enjoy the wind.
The plastic on this car is made of some weird material. You touch it and it will have permanent white mark. FYI, my car is 2017 and only has almost 5000 miles on it.
Again....I'd say the dealer did a pre-delivery application of something on the interior surfaces. Why not just go to a detail shop, explain the situation and let him clean it. Some dealers are so stupid, not that they don't know what to do, but what they expect you to believe.
Old 08-03-18, 08:25 AM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have one of these marks on the black cowl above the instrument cluster. It looks like the surface texture is burnished.

I would guess there is some sort of micro-texture on the dashboard surfaces to produce the matte finish.
Old 08-03-18, 10:34 AM
KrnRX350F
Driver School Candidate

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one with the issue....a few weeks ago I used a microfiber towel to dust off the cowl above the instrument panel and realized it made a white mark. Thinking it was residual dust, I tried to clean it off some more...now I have a big white mark that I can not seems to get rid of. Has anyone tried using armor all on it?
Old 08-03-18, 10:45 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

RE 2017 RX FSport
Just another reason I HATE cleaning the interior of windshield. Anything that touches the dash gets scuffed.
There is small area just above the glove compartment that got scratched by a passenger. Nothing simple took it away......and i will never use armor all. Hate the temporary shine and then need to use it forever to maintain.
But I did experiment with Aerospace 303 on only the small area, about 3 inches by 15 inches above glove. The Aerospace 303 completely smoothed out the area and can no longer see the scruff mark, and its been 3 months now. No extra shine, still matt.

I use Aerospace 303 on all exterior plastic monthly for protection, nice clean, non shine result.
Old 08-03-18, 10:50 AM
KrnRX350F
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kent2174
RE 2017 RX FSport
Just another reason I HATE cleaning the interior of windshield. Anything that touches the dash gets scuffed.
There is small area just above the glove compartment that got scratched by a passenger. Nothing simple took it away......and i will never use armor all. Hate the temporary shine and then need to use it forever to maintain.
But I did experiment with Aerospace 303 on only the small area, about 3 inches by 15 inches above glove. The Aerospace 303 completely smoothed out the area and can no longer see the scruff mark, and its been 3 months now. No extra shine, still matt.

I use Aerospace 303 on all exterior plastic monthly for protection, nice clean, non shine result.
Thanks just ordered a 32oz bottle of it off Amazon. Hope I get the same results.
Old 08-03-18, 10:52 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by KrnRX350F
Thanks just ordered a 32oz bottle of it off Amazon. Hope I get the same results.
Just be aware I have not applied 303 to any other part of dash. The dash material above glove is little bit different than global dash.
Old 08-03-18, 12:02 PM
sejijohn
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can anyone help me?
Do you mind posting a picture of the discoloration? I own a 2018 RXL, just want to confirm if I have the same issue or not.

Quick Reply: Dashboard discoloration