Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Bumper scratch repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-15, 12:03 AM
vartig
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Bumper scratch repair

Hello Lexus drivers
I have this scratch

on my bumper and Im thinking to use
dupli-color Scratch Fix All-in-1 to fix it.
I have a problem finding the correct match for my Starfire Pearl RX350.
Product have different white colors
  1. Universal White
  2. White
  3. Super White
Which one should I use it?
Did anybody use this product?
Can you please give me any idea?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-15, 12:16 AM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch. Sorry to hear about your RX. I would start with a polish like Scratch X because most of that looks removable. For the parts that actually lost paint, the only thing I can think of would be touch up paint, but with a spot that big it would probably stick out a bit. I tried painting a big patch on my LX bumper and it is somewhat obvious as the shade was slightly different even with touch up paint from dealer.
Old 08-05-15, 03:48 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,060 Likes on 694 Posts

As Ray stated a lot of what you are seeing might easily be removed by first a clay bar, no luck a good wax, no luck scratch x, no luck a polishing compound, no luck a rubbing compound. The big black mark at the top and the long horizontal lines will need to be painted.
Old 08-05-15, 04:46 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask your local dealer if they have a 'bumper guy' for cases just like this. Most dealers use a local guy that will travel from dealer to dealer doing small bumper repairs like this. It will look pretty darn good and for not a lot of money. That would be your best bet if you are looking to do it on the cheap.
Old 08-05-15, 05:46 PM
user420
Driver

Originally Posted by Freds430
As Ray stated a lot of what you are seeing might easily be removed by first a clay bar, no luck a good wax, no luck scratch x, no luck a polishing compound, no luck a rubbing compound. The big black mark at the top and the long horizontal lines will need to be painted.
Very good advice.

Originally Posted by jeremyp111
Ask your local dealer if they have a 'bumper guy' for cases just like this. Most dealers use a local guy that will travel from dealer to dealer doing small bumper repairs like this. It will look pretty darn good and for not a lot of money. That would be your best bet if you are looking to do it on the cheap.
I've seen those guys work wonders.
Old 08-05-15, 10:38 PM
vartig
Rookie

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all replies.
Actually I dont like to go to dealer and I want to do it myself. can I? not possible? its either fun & hand-job for me.
what if I use
this for scratch this for scratch
and then http://www.duplicolor.com/product/scratch-fix-all-in-1-exact-match-automotive-touch-up-paint for deep black parts??

Thanks again.
Old 08-06-15, 03:15 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

The scratch remover may work with a lot of elbow grease but you may need something more aggressive. To fill in the black scratches the paint touch up will be fine on the smaller 'line' scratches but the bigger one on top won't look very good. However, it'll certainly look better than it does now, that's for sure. Do a google search on paint chip repair. If you do it the 'right' way then you can make it look really good IF you can get a very good color match and take your time. Pearl white paints are notoriously difficult to match. The Duplicolor may match well though.

Good luck!
Old 08-06-15, 06:03 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would order Dr. color chip they'll have the exact color of your car for StarFire pearl. I had a similar scrape on my last car. I was able to get a lot of the black marks off of it with scratchX 2.0 and then I had to use Dr. color chip to touch up the spots. it was effective. when I turned the car in I did not get hit with wear and tear on it. the dealer just fixed it because they bought my car and put it on their lot

Dr. color chip was great and it will give you an exact match to StarFire pearl
Old 08-06-15, 06:35 AM
user420
Driver

^^^ What he said.
Old 08-06-15, 10:10 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Most of that should come out with a polish/compound, using a machine would be better.

You can try touch up paint though that is a pretty big scrape. I would tape around the scrape as close as you can and then apply the the touchup as thin as you can. Wet sand down the edges and try to get it as smooth as possible with some light sanding and then polish it.

The other way you can do it is a base coat/clear coat aerosol spray, it should look the best if you do it right and last the longest if you use a 2K clearcoat.
Old 08-08-15, 05:45 PM
vartig
Rookie

Hey guys I really appreciate your time and replies. specially jeremyp111
I called a dealer & it seems they have touch-up paints too. Im going to see what is that. do you guys think Dr. Color is better than dealer one?
Actually Im just planing to color it. correct? I dont see a reason to fill the scratched parts?
what do you think?
Old 08-08-15, 11:04 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vartig
Hey guys I really appreciate your time and replies. specially jeremyp111
I called a dealer & it seems they have touch-up paints too. Im going to see what is that. do you guys think Dr. Color is better than dealer one?
Actually Im just planing to color it. correct? I dont see a reason to fill the scratched parts?
what do you think?
I thought Dr. color chip was better because I think the StarFire pearl comes in two containers one is the paint one is a clearcoat and with Dr. color chip it's all in one and then you get this solution that takes off any excess paint that you don't want to leave on the car. I found Dr. color chip a lot easier to use than the dealers Touch up paint
Old 08-09-15, 12:18 PM
greatone99
Rookie

u will never match strafer pearl with touch up paint ,when i had my bumper repainted my body guy says its very hard to match ,its a 3 stage paint .how much pearl that is added really can change the color
Old 08-09-15, 04:54 PM
charlesatl
Driver

Dr Colorchip works wonders.
Old 08-10-15, 07:05 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Sure a lot of that might buff off with a polish but great care must be taken when using a machine polisher of bumpers. It it were my vehicle, I'd take to to a well respected repair/paint shop. I'd pay the price to make it disappear and have the job done right. FWIW, bumpers need different paint (paint with added flex agents) than the rest of the vehicle. Bumper covers are flexible vinyl covers and machine buffing them often causes heat related damage. IMO, if this is a newer Lexus, the money you may spend on the repair will be well spent. Besides, my eyes would be drawn to that spot as long as I owned the car if I did a DIY. Trying to match this paint from a bottle of touch-up or a rattle can is next to impossible.