Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Blue jeans fading onto leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-13, 04:58 PM
mhornor2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue jeans fading onto leather seats

I have a new 2014 RX 350 that I bought in Nov of 2013. I am finding that my blue jeans are fading onto the light tan leather of the driver's seat. I have been a Lexus customer since 1990 and have never had this problem before. I am concerned and disappointed. I am taking the car into the dealership Monday for their detail person to clean the seat, but what will prevent this from happening over and over? Has anyone experienced this problem and found a fix for it? Thanks..
Old 12-30-13, 01:18 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Here are some I found by searching to get you started (and moved your thread to the right spot from Maintenance).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...ght=blue+jeans
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...ght=blue+jeans
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...ighlight=jeans
Old 12-30-13, 01:46 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, unfortunately, you need to seal the leather before this happens. It can be cleaned to some extent but you are abrading the coating on the leather which will result in easier staining in the future.

leather masters leather protection cream is something I recommend to everyone with light coloured seats. It's not so much that the leather is not coated well it's that jeans nowadays are darker and less distressed. There is a trend towards the style where the jeans are not washed during the manufacturing process so they come out darker and people can create wear marks on their own rather than have the manufacturer create artificial marks (by tumbling with stones in the case of stone washed etc). The result is more dye in the material that rubs off when jeans are new.

Being a shorter guy, I like to create my whiskers and honeycombs myself (honeycombs will coincide with the backs of my knees where they belong, as opposed to halfway up my thigh if the manufacturer does it for me. I'm exaggerating but you get the picture). Unfortunately, I always have to be careful of where I sit.
Old 01-02-14, 05:47 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is why I stopped getting cars with the light tan interiors.
Old 01-02-14, 06:35 AM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

here is what you can do.

Leather Master Super Remover ---(to remove the stain) ----> Leather Master Strong Cleaner ---> Leather Master Vital Conditioner

This is a great way to clean up denim and protect it.
Old 01-03-14, 08:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,560 Likes on 1,846 Posts

I will second the suggestions of Leather Master's products. The Protection cream helps specifically to protect against this.

Its not a Lexus thing. I bought my wife a nice light blue Kate Spade leather purse for Christmas, she wears a lot of dark colored jeans. Guess what? Big blue dye transfer spot on the back of the purse after a week from it hanging at her hip. Cleaned it up and treated it with the same leather protection cream.
Old 01-08-14, 04:25 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

I have had my blue jeans fade into the seats of my last 3 lexus. I solved the problem by getting black interior!
The following users liked this post:
Rx350luva (05-25-20)
Old 01-08-14, 05:39 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Just to point out that no conditioner will prevent dye transfer. To insure that this does not occur you need to use a water-based fluorocarbon protectant. Leather Masters Protection Cream is such a product. LTT also makes a pair of great protectors. There are likely others but keep in mind that a conditioner will not get the job done.

Last edited by jfelbab; 01-08-14 at 08:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-10-14, 04:54 PM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

I ordered bottles of Leather Master Protection Cream and Leather Master Soft Cleaner from Amazon today. Let's just hope that they arrive before hubby's blue jeans stain my Light Gray leather seats. I could make him sit on a towel in the meantime ... LOL

Question - there are all these tiny holes in the seat, will there be an issue getting the excess Protection Cream off so that there is no residue?

Cheryl

2014 RX 450h AWD
Old 01-10-14, 06:49 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by cflutist
Thanks for the recommendations guys.

I ordered bottles of Leather Master Protection Cream and Leather Master Soft Cleaner from Amazon today. Let's just hope that they arrive before hubby's blue jeans stain my Light Gray leather seats. I could make him sit on a towel in the meantime ... LOL

Question - there are all these tiny holes in the seat, will there be an issue getting the excess Protection Cream off so that there is no residue?

Cheryl

2014 RX 450h AWD
The LM Protection Cream is not a thick cream. Squirt some onto a foam pad, squeeze to distribute the product and apply to a section at a time. You want to leave a very thin and even wet film. Let it dry for a few minutes and gently buff with a soft cotton towel. If applied in this manner it will not clog the leather perforations.
Old 01-10-14, 07:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,560 Likes on 1,846 Posts

Originally Posted by cflutist
My wife drove the GS to work one day a couple weeks ago while I was having tires put on her Jeep. She texted me a picture. She was wearing a new pair of jeans and she put several towels down on the drivers seat to make sure no dye transferred haha...she knows me...
Old 01-24-14, 07:41 PM
Rogarven
Rookie

After reading this, I have put a couple of coats of LM protection cream on my ES350 seats. It won't hurt to put more than one coating on them, right? Note, this was done at different days. Thanks!
Old 01-25-14, 06:19 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by Rogarven
After reading this, I have put a couple of coats of LM protection cream on my ES350 seats. It won't hurt to put more than one coating on them, right? Note, this was done at different days. Thanks!
What this may do is insure more complete coverage but this product doesn't build up layers. It will wear away over the course of a few months of sliding in and out of the vehicle so I redo it every 3-4 months.
Old 01-30-14, 07:49 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I solved this problem by quitting wearing blue jeans!