Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaning my Volk GT7's with no clean results

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-13, 04:02 PM
IneednSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning my Volk GT7's with no clean results

Ok well i have volk gt7s and there just a mess no matter what i do they turn out looking horrible the chrome lip is turning into a black lip lol i cant put any kind of polish on the lip because for one i have tried with no luck and 2 i read there was some kind of coating over the chrome. There beautiful rims but i want them to really pop not just look ok from a distance and real bad once you get up close, anyways here are some pics of my problems any advice will be greatly appreciated.

the inside of the rim

may not look like i tried to clean but i put every amount of elbow grease i had into cleaning this gunk and it just will not come off

is the inside really supposed to look like this? i mean that is just disguting its like a permant coating of dirt or brake dust something, no matter how much i scrub that stuff will not come off.

[IMG][/IMG]

this seems to be the same stuff on the chrome lip

Old 10-03-13, 04:04 PM
IneednSC
Driver

Default Cleaning my Volk GT7's with no clean results

Ok well i have volk gt7s and there just a mess no matter what i do they turn out looking horrible the chrome lip is turning into a black lip lol i cant put any kind of polish on the lip because for one i have tried with no luck and 2 i read there was some kind of coating over the chrome. There beautiful rims but i want them to really pop not just look ok from a distance and real bad once you get up close, anyways here are some pics of my problems any advice will be greatly appreciated.

the inside of the rim

may not look like i tried to clean but i put every amount of elbow grease i had into cleaning this gunk and it just will not come off

is the inside really supposed to look like this? i mean that is just disguting its like a permant coating of dirt or brake dust something, no matter how much i scrub that stuff will not come off.

this seems to be the same stuff on the chrome lip

Old 10-03-13, 07:52 PM
IneednSC
Driver

Double post can this one be closed ty
Old 10-03-13, 10:23 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

looks like your chrome is rusting. inner might be water oxidation/brake dust? not too sure. had that on one of my wheels. i think i used simple green and a scrub to clean the inner barrels.
Old 10-04-13, 09:23 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by k7q
looks like your chrome is rusting. inner might be water oxidation/brake dust? not too sure. had that on one of my wheels. i think i used simple green and a scrub to clean the inner barrels.
Most likely the lips are anodized.....not much you can do once they get discolored and damaged short of stripping the anodization and repolishing them.
Old 10-04-13, 09:41 AM
IneednSC
Driver

Originally Posted by MrMark
Most likely the lips are anodized.....not much you can do once they get discolored and damaged short of stripping the anodization and repolishing them.
well that sucks i guess i have to deal with it anything i can do to prevent it from becoming worse?