Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Critique my current washing method

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-13, 07:23 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Critique my current washing method

Hello all.

I want to take the best care of my paint, and want to know if my current technique is best or if I can improve it in any way. Critiques welcome!

1. Spray down whole car, making sure to spray down any loose dirt, etc.
2. Use Meguiars Deep Crystal Car Wash with one these
3. Start washing from top down, making sure solution of soap is super soapy and car is wet.
4. After washing use reusable super soaker type towels, and just squeeze out excess water once its somewhat wet.
5. use Mothers Instant Detailer as a lubricant, along with Meguairs Tech Wax 2.0 and go in circular motions, waxing each panel of a car.
6. use 1 clean microfiber towel to wipe down and a second one to do a deep wipe, taking of all excess wax.

7. For the interior, I use Meguairs Quik Instant Detailer on seats, leather, etc.

8. I use rain X on all my windows
Old 02-24-13, 07:25 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

I noticed using this wax, most of the time the car is not necessarily dirty. there is a thin layer of dust (from parking in the garage) and thats about it.

1. would i need to rewax each time i washed the car? (really long tedious process)
2. how often would i need to do a full on buff / polish of the car (and what does that process look like)
3. how would i get rid of swirls? (assuming #2)
Old 02-24-13, 07:53 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should help you. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html
That forum is very useful and should help you get rid of the swirls. There's a million products and methods to do it. Good luck.
Old 02-24-13, 08:00 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The two videos on this page should give you an idea on how to remove swirls. You can do it by hand if necessary.
http://www.autogeek.net/swreandpo.html
Old 02-25-13, 11:12 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
I noticed using this wax, most of the time the car is not necessarily dirty. there is a thin layer of dust (from parking in the garage) and thats about it.

1. would i need to rewax each time i washed the car? (really long tedious process)
2. how often would i need to do a full on buff / polish of the car (and what does that process look like)
1)Many waxes (or in this case NXT TW2.0 is actually a synthetic sealant although they use "wax" in the name it contains no wax) will attract dust - it's just a way of life. You do not need to re-wax after each wash, but it is usually a good idea to use some spray wax while drying to help promote more life from your initial layer of protection.

If waxing is an, as you put it, "really long tedious process" - then you are doing it wrong. Simple as that. Applying wax, even by hand, is not a labor intensive process. Many people develop the idea that you need to apply pressure and work the wax/sealant in circular motions... This is not the case! You should use as little pressure as possible - simple the weight of your hand on the pad - and apply in straight line motions, not circles. Pressure + circular motion leads to a higher chance of inducing swirls and scratches into your paint. It also wears you out and feels like a lot of work. Using proper technique, you should be able to wax your entire car by hand in as little as 30 minutes and enjoy the process, not hate it because it is hard work.

In this video, Mike Phillips covers the theory and technique behind the straight line application method. Check it out - there is a 2nd part to the vid as well.

2) You compound/polish/correct your paint on an AS NEEDED basis. However if you follow proper washing and drying technique, you will need to polish your car very infrequently.

I wrote a thread on the basics of a full correction detail not too long ago.

CHECK IT OUT HERE

3) See link in answer #2.

In general, to go back to your washing critique be sure to follow the 2 bucket wash method at all times! There is a link to that method in the thread that I linked you to in answer #2... if you've got any more questions, just ask!
Old 02-26-13, 03:52 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

1) no you do not need to wax every time you wash the car. I like to apply a spray wax after each wash to boost my sealant/wax. doesn't take too long to do
2) do it however often you like but realize you are taking a thin layer of clear coat off each time you polish. basic process is wash - clay - wash - polish - rinse - seal/wax
3) you need to polish to remove swirls
Old 02-27-13, 04:50 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

what over the counter spray wax would you both recommend? and after how many washes / how long would i need to wait until i rewax the car with nxt tech wax 2.0?

i've found myself too that using nxt tech wax 2.0 after each wash is not ideal, especially since my car sits in the garage and gets driven once every week or two (so only gets thin layer of dust on top). At the same time I wouldn't want to scratch the car and induce swirls, etc. because Im applying spray wax and I dont have a layer to protect my paint. Is spray wax really faster than hand waxing?

knowing to apply a spray wax after would be good since i havent done this in the past (I've waxed my car each and every time after a wash, once every week or two). would this be a similar two microfiber method? spray and wipe clean/dry with microfiber after a good wash?

Last edited by 1sWt2GS; 02-27-13 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-27-13, 05:15 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I personally like to use one of these types of sponges on the front of the car to scrub bugs off. I also use it on the wheel lips and lower rockers to scrub off tar/road debris. Just make sure its the really soft type of sponge, I notice that at Autozone they sell a harder type of sponge with a more abrasive type of lattice. Just make sure your sponge is the white type of cotton lattice and feels smooth to the touch, not abrasive when dry.

As for waxing, I usually wax every 4-5 car washes, so about 4 to 8 times a year depending on how much you drive your car. As my car sees about 3k miles a year, usually on long distance 500+ mile trips, I tend to wax it 3-4 times a year. The full detail and wax job comes after a long trip, as the SC generally looks in a sorry state with 4 states worth of bugs on its front end.

Other than long trips it generally doesn't see the light of day unless the sun is just right in the sky, no chance of rain, no salt on the roads, ie its a spoiled brat.

Last edited by Aron9000; 02-27-13 at 05:25 AM.
Old 02-27-13, 06:10 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

what over the counter spray wax would you both recommend? and after how many washes / how long would i need to wait until i rewax the car with nxt tech wax 2.0?

i've found myself too that using nxt tech wax 2.0 after each wash is not ideal, especially since my car sits in the garage and gets driven once every week or two (so only gets thin layer of dust on top). At the same time I wouldn't want to scratch the car and induce swirls, etc. because Im applying spray wax and I dont have a layer to protect my paint. Is spray wax really faster than hand waxing?

knowing to apply a spray wax after would be good since i havent done this in the past (I've waxed my car each and every time after a wash, once every week or two). would this be a similar two microfiber method? spray and wipe clean/dry with microfiber after a good wash?
I haven't used any over the counter spray wax... so I can't help you there You may be able to find Meguiar's Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax in some local auto parts stores. It is a great spray wax.

The durability of NXT TW2.0 can vary greatly depending on your own particular situation - how much you wash it, what kind of soap you use to wash it, does it sit inside, does it sit outside, etc etc etc. A general rule of thumb is that traditional carnauba waxes need to be reapplied every 3-6 weeks, while synthetic sealants typically last 3-6 months. Those are quite large ranges, so check out the link to my article below to help you decide when you need to reapply.

Here is an article I wrote to help you determine if your car still has a layer of protection on it.

If your car only has a thin layer of dust on it, you could simply wipe it down with high quality, plush microfiber and some quick detail spray. Use very light pressure, as there is no need to apply pressure to simply wipe away dust.

You can scratch and swirl your paint regardless of how much wax is on it... having a good layer of protection on your car does not mean it is protected from swirls or scratches at all... the protection we are referring to is protection from the elements (rain, dirt, etc). The best way to protect your car from swirls and scratches is to wash using the 2 bucket method with grit guards.

Spray wax is much quicker than traditional hand waxing. The typical spray wax is applied immediately after or during the drying process after washing your vehicle. So you wash the car, sheet the majority of the water off, then (assuming there is hardly any water left on the car) you can spray a panel with the spray wax, then wipe it off at the same time you are removing the little bit of remaining moisture - so you are effectively waxing your car as you dry. Applying a spray wax to your whole car is a 10 minute job.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-27-13, 06:14 AM
KMACK
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are over-doing it a bit much. You can use a quick detailer spray if you feel its needed. I wax my cars when I see there is no more water bedding on the paint. This is a good indication for me. every time you wax, polish, seal ...are you removing the previous wax with dawn soap?

again - I wouldnt be applying that much of the nxt2.... Why do you need to apply so much sealer wax?

Here is what I do. This is not a standard, but what works for me

Prior to correction

Wash
Foam gun with dawn (To remove prior waxes)
2 bucket wash with dawn
Dry car water sheeting (Sp?) and with electric leaf blower
touch up dry with microfiber

Clay with detailer spray

Polish as necessary (M205 / M105) with Griots DA

IPA wipedown

Seal ( Megs NXT or Black Ice)

Wax ( Pinnacle)

This should last atleast 4 months.... by far im not a professional and I agree with zmcgovern4

Last edited by KMACK; 02-27-13 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-27-13, 07:00 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

If I was going to recommend a list of products for routine washing it would be something like this...

Wheels and Tires:
  • 5 gallon bucket (available at any hardware store for a few $)
  • Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner
  • CG Diablo Gel Rim and Wheel Cleaner (makes 64oz when diluted 4:1 in a separate bottle - very cost effective!)
  • EZ Detail Brush (simply the best way to clean your wheel barrels)
  • TUF Shine Tire Brush
  • Generic Wash Mitt or Sponge dedicated for wheels only!
  • Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel + some sort of foam applicator

Washing and Drying:
  • Two 5 Gallon Buckets (available at any hardeware store for a few $)
  • Two Grit Guard Inserts (a must have to avoid swirls and scratches!)
  • Sheep Skin Wash Mitt
  • CG Citrus Wash and Gloss Shampoo (highly concentrated! only need 0.5-1oz for each wash, unless you want to strip the wax)
  • Waffle Weave Microfiber Towels x3 (super absorbent and safe for your paint!)
  • Menzerna Power Lock Sealant (stop using that Tech Wax and get yourself something nice! This stuff is fantastic and cheap!)
  • Grey MF Towel x10 (300gsm towels, silk lined - great for removing sealants, waxes, etc)
  • Ultra Plush MF Towel x5 (ideal for quick detail spray wipe downs or spray wax/sealant)
  • CG V7 Spray Sealant (I use this instead of spray wax for the final wipe down after drying the car, I love this stuff! Incredibly slick and glossy!)

CLICK THIS LINK to see all of the items in a shopping cart from Detailed Image. I get all of my supplies from them, but many other online retailers carry the same products.

... These are mostly bulk items, so they will last you a VERY long time and are well worth the money. You'll find it is not much more expensive to buy professional quality products compared to OTC products, especially when you buy them in bulk sizes. Don't let the price scare you away - this supply will last you for years! If you don't want to buy bulk sizes, you can check out the smaller sized bottles - but buying in bulk is definitely the way to go if you plan on maintaining your vehicle the right way for the long haul.

Let me know if you've got any questions.
Old 02-27-13, 08:05 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used Mequiars and Turtle Wax Ice spray waxes before. They are ok for OTC stuff im currently trying out Prima Spray wax that i got online which i like so far

As for waxing since it doesnt seem like you drive all that often i say every few months or when you notice your car isnt beeding water well anymore. If you spray wax it will help extend those periods.

Dont mistake spray wax as a replacement, it isnt as durable as a real wax job but it will help boost your protection in between full wax jobs.

Application is pretty simple in you just spray on and wipe off after you have washed the car, some can be applied while the car is still wet
Old 03-01-13, 03:39 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

1sWt2GS,

Just a suggestion, move up to Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner it's just a bit better than Deep Crystal. I think it has better lubrication qualities.

Also in #7 of your description you show a photograph of Ultimate Quik Detailer. UQD is used most often on the exterior of the car. I think you wanted a photograph of Quik Interior Detailer.

Very minor points on your description of your process.
Old 03-09-13, 07:29 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DunWkg
1sWt2GS,

Just a suggestion, move up to Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner it's just a bit better than Deep Crystal. I think it has better lubrication qualities.

Also in #7 of your description you show a photograph of Ultimate Quik Detailer. UQD is used most often on the exterior of the car. I think you wanted a photograph of Quik Interior Detailer.

Very minor points on your description of your process.
yes thats exactly correct. Just a "typo" on my part.

I will definitely get the gold Class next time. Gonna stock up on detailing equipment soon!