Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Which polisher

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-12, 09:02 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Which polisher

My Porter Cable polisher has been fine until I killed it (I think) last time I used it, and now I want a new polisher. I would like to use different size pads, and the PC says not to use anything smaller than a 6 inch, so I'm looking at alternatives. I want a good one, so I'm thinking about Makita, Dewalt, etc, and I've been reading about others like a Griots which I know nothing about.

So, what would you all recommend for a guy that like to take care of the paint on his cars, and do the occasional family member's or neighbor's car? A random orbit is best for normal maintenance polishing, but I'm actually considering a rotary in addition to a RO, so I can learn how to do some more serious correction, too.

Last edited by User 41924; 10-10-12 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-10-12, 09:51 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

If you want a rotary get can't go wrong with the Flex PE14, Makita 9227, or the new Dewalt.

The Flex is going to be the smallest of the group and probably the easiest to control.

Where did you hear that you can't use a pad smaller than 6" with the PC? If anything, you shouldn't use anything larger than 6.5" on it. It's a weak machine and bogs down and stops rotating with larger pads. PC is good with 5.5" pads and smaller. 6.5"+ is a hit or miss.
Old 10-10-12, 10:54 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Interesting. As I recall, it's printed right on the body of the PC, not to use anything smaller than 6 inches. I'll pull it out tonight, and double check.

It didn't make sense to me, either, but I was thinking that's how I killed it. I don't really use much pressure and bog down the polisher, but it overheated pretty badly. I assumed it croaked because I was using 4" pads when it said NOT to. Maybe I'm wrong.

Rotary polishers scare me a bit because of the damage you CAN do to the paint, but I think they do a better job. If it really does do a better job, it's worth learning to you one. RO polishers on the other hand, seem pretty much idiot proof, unless you use the wrong size pads . Does this make sense?

Last edited by User 41924; 10-10-12 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-10-12, 11:56 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My PC7424 died also after 2 years of use.

It would cost close to how much I paid to repair it. I wouldn't ever buy a PC again in my life.

I am going to get the Griot since they have lifetime warranty.
Old 10-10-12, 12:50 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Woodrow
Interesting. As I recall, it's printed right on the body of the PC, not to use anything smaller than 6 inches. I'll pull it out tonight, and double check.

It didn't make sense to me, either, but I was thinking that's how I killed it. I don't really use much pressure and bog down the polisher, but it overheated pretty badly. I assumed it croaked because I was using 4" pads when it said NOT to. Maybe I'm wrong.

Rotary polishers scare me a bit because of the damage you CAN do to the paint, but I think they do a better job. If it really does do a better job, it's worth learning to you one. RO polishers on the other hand, seem pretty much idiot proof, unless you use the wrong size pads . Does this make sense?
That's the first time I have ever hear that.

The only logical explanation I could come up with for that is if you are using the standard backing plate.

I don't recall off the top of my head what size backing plate they come with, it's usually around 5"-5.5", so using a pad 5" or less would be risky with that size BP. You can just get a smaller backing plate and use smaller pads. But make sure the bp is smaller than the pad so theres a little overhang making the tool less risky.
Old 10-10-12, 01:04 PM
SOARER5
Driver School Candidate

I believe you're referring to the counter weight. Strange is the PC XP came with a 5 in pad counter weight which works fine with smaller pads. I definitely recommend the Griots Garge polisher next. Amazon has it less than what I paid for mine. It can handle heavy correction with the right pad and compound. Rotary has a steep learning curve, I wouldn't recommend practicing on your car or someone else's.

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-10-12, 02:04 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

If you want to practice wit ha rotary, go to some local scrap yard or bodyshop and ask them if they have any junk panels.

You want something dark colored, like dark blue, dark green, or better yet, black to practice correction on.

Alot of people think they can use a rotary and finish "perfect" on light colored cars, but can't finish down black properly. Well, that usually implies that they are not finishing down properly any color...it's just that with lighter colors you won't see holograms as much even with the best spotlight.
Old 10-10-12, 02:06 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

And if getting a DA is still something your entertaining the thought of,

Look at the Flex XC3401. It's a bit pricey, but it's pretty much the ultimate DA machine since now there are aftermarket backing plates that let you use different size pads from 4-6.5"+

Or if that's too expensive, get the GG like SOARER5 said, and get the Meguires microfiber correction system. Alot of pros are switching to that now, pretty much everybody because it's quick and very potent with the right polish combo.
Old 10-10-12, 03:17 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find that even with a Flex RO or Makita 9227 Rotary, I always finish with a PC. The versatility of the PC is awesome if you're in tight spots. IIRC the Flex still doesn't have a real flexible backing plate still, which sorta limits the panels with multiple curves on them. In any case, I was one of the first to use the PC with 3" and smaller pads before the Kevin Brown Method came out to remove sanding marks. Obviously I didn't patent or whatever it is since it was just me refusing to go Rotary at the time. I melted 5 backing plates and eventually snapped the rotation shaft but I put 100s of hours on it within the warranty period so I doubt anyone else would do that
Old 10-10-12, 04:38 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Originally Posted by SOARER5
I believe you're referring to the counter weight. Strange is the PC XP came with a 5 in pad counter weight which works fine with smaller pads.

http://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-.../dp/B0042KHPJS
You're right! It was stamped into the counterbalance. I discovered that my brother had an almost unused DeWalt rotary that I'll use for learning paint correction, so I'll buy a DA. I'm thinking either a Griots or a Flex. Both get great reviews, but the Flex costs quite a bit more. I don't know if it's worth the extra cost, or not.

Thanks for all the help! I like the idea of learning to use the rotary on junk panels! Learning on someone else's paint seem like a pretty good idea, to me!
Old 10-10-12, 05:49 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Woodrow
You're right! It was stamped into the counterbalance. I discovered that my brother had an almost unused DeWalt rotary that I'll use for learning paint correction, so I'll buy a DA. I'm thinking either a Griots or a Flex. Both get great reviews, but the Flex costs quite a bit more. I don't know if it's worth the extra cost, or not.

Thanks for all the help! I like the idea of learning to use the rotary on junk panels! Learning on someone else's paint seem like a pretty good idea, to me!
Well, the GG and the Flex cannot and will not be compared quality wise. There have been many accounts of them (the GG) failing and breaking down in a short period of time. However, they do have a lifetime warranty so you can at least rely on that. However, if you're in the middle of a job and that breaks on you.... you're NOT going to be a happy camper.
Old 10-12-12, 09:06 PM
550spyder
Driver School Candidate

Although pricey the Festool rotary (RAP150 Shinex) or the Festool Rotex 150 eccentric are the ones i use, they are professional tools, light and easy to use. I use the rotary for removing heavy swirls and scratches with a course pad and compound (Or use a lambswool pad) and the Rotex for the final finishing and minor swirl removal with fine compounds and medium to fine sponge pads. You can of course use only one machine but i cant help myself......
The eccentrics, or dual actions are safer and easier to use if you are inexperienced as there is minimal heat buid up.
Old 10-13-12, 07:06 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Just about any DA should last for years in your use. I have an old PC 7336 that is 16 years old that still runs fine. Keep in mind that you need to have these tools maintained periodically. I have mine serviced annually. My PC has seen over a thousand vehicles. One plus for the PC is that most ACE hardware stores are authorized service centers for Porter-Cable. There you can have them serviced at a reasonable cost. Things like cleaning, re-lubrication, replacing of worn brushes, power cords or broken switches can be done in minutes and you're back in business. You won' t need to send your DA in for service.

As to rotary use. I sold my Makita a few months ago after I found that I no longer needed anything more than my DA along with an assortment of microfiber and foam pads and SMAT polishes. The DA can do everything my rotary did with better finishing results and less danger to the paint. This even includes removing marring from wet-sanding. My Makita was 4 years old and I used it a lot up to the point when the microfiber pads arrived on the scene. After that, it sat in its case for about year, unused. In reality, there is now nothing a rotary can do that a DA can't do.

Last edited by jfelbab; 10-13-12 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-15-12, 08:31 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Based on this and other comments in this thread, I suspect the issue I had with the PC was maintenance. Well, technically a LACK of maintenance. I inherited a nice DeWaly rotary over the weekend, and gave it a try, but I will definately be buying a new DA. They're a lot less stressful to use. Microfiber sounds like a great alternative. I haven't looked into it as all, as I haven't really had the need. I will, now. Thanks again, for all the advice. This is a great place to learn from you guys with lots of experience!
Old 10-15-12, 03:45 PM
Fation
Driver

If you want an easy to use quick polisher, I recommend the FLEX 3401. It has nothing but good reviews, and I absolutely love mine.

Quick Reply: Which polisher