Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

best stuff for chrome wheel lips

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-12, 12:59 PM
DvSiR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best stuff for chrome wheel lips

yeah so, whats the best way to polish/clean 6 inch chrome wheel lips without dulling or scratching? Thanks.
Old 05-11-12, 05:06 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I would never polish chrome. Too risky.

Just use a wheel cleaner like the Sonax FE or Iron X.
Old 05-12-12, 03:28 AM
TOGWT
Rookie

Chrome - if you've ever seen a brilliant shine on a wheel with a mirror like finish, you were looking at chrome. Although a chrome wheel looks great when clean, they are very hard to maintain and keep looking new. Chrome is easily damaged by brake dust and road debris. Use a netrelized acid cleaner like IronX to remove brake dust and then a very mild wheel cleaner that's pH balanced (P21S Polishing Soap)

Note: DO NOT use a netrelized acid cleaner on chrome that is compromised

Last edited by TOGWT; 05-12-12 at 03:32 AM.
Old 07-14-12, 11:06 AM
Rob6656
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

I was wondering where you buy the Sonax and Iron X stuff? Do you have to get them online? And I was wondering do they have to be rinsed off with water? I live in a condo complex and we don't have yard hoses to rinse things off with. Is there an other way to clean rims?
Old 07-14-12, 10:04 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

i use sonax wheel cleaner, and armour all wheel protector. It's a silicone spray that repels brake dust.
Old 07-15-12, 02:49 AM
TOGWT
Rookie

Default Waterless Wash

[And I was wondering do they have to be rinsed off with water? I live in a condo complex and we don't have yard hoses to rinse things off with. Is there an other way to clean rims? ]

Optimum Polymer Technologies ( ONR) have set the standard in waterless washing by using encapsulating polymers and surfactants to safely remove dirt/grime without causing surface scratching.

Waterless polymer based systems do not require pre-wetting the surfaces. A combination of polymers and surfactant cleaners safely removes dirt and grime and leaves a glossy protective finish. The polymers and surfactants used in these non rinse washes have the capability to bond to dirt particles and act as a barrier between the dirt particles and the paint. The grime and dirt is then trapped in the surfactant, protecting the paint finish without the need to use large amounts of water to flush the dirt off the vehicle.

Used as a winter car wash or in areas that have hosepipe ban, water usage restrictions, or where a water supply is not readily available (apartments, car shows, etc; cleans and protects while minimising water usage, 100% environmentally safe and it reduces water usage to a fraction of a conventional car wash, 1- oz ONR per 2- gallons of water to wash the entire car. For best results swirl-free results, use Optimum's high lubricity wash Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine

Simply mist diluted 1:3 with distilled water on to micro fibre towel and then wipes off residue. Fold your towel into quarters and rotate to expose a fresh surface for best results. It dries instantly and doesn't leave behind a greasy film like other products. Utilizing special cleaning agents you can gently clean your entire car. It quickly lifts and separates oils, dust, dirt and other contaminants.

The substantive polymers help suspend contaminants so they can be removed safely. It also provides meaningful protection on every surface you apply it to. For use on - vinyl, plastic, paint, metal, rubber and etc. finish will look clean and new with minimal effort.

To remove salt and road grit or to clean really soiled surfaces I would suggest a pre-rinse to remove the larger dirt particles first before being washed. Then use the ONR concentrates or the traditional two-bucket wash method or if you have a pressure washer available to remove the larger dirt / salt particles

Last edited by TOGWT; 07-21-12 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Please no instructions to Google for your web article
Old 07-20-12, 10:47 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Wheel polish and poorboys wheel sealant