Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaning Leather Question??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-08, 02:37 PM
djlrx300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cleaning Leather Question??

First, I would like to say thanks for all the great info that has been posted. Being a new Lexus owner (2000 RX300), I've found some great info!!

My question comes from cleaning and conditioning my leather today. This is the first car we've owned with leather interior so I'm a newbie when it comes to care (thank god for this post!!). I purchased the Lexus cleaner and conditioner and went to town on the passenger side first. We have gray leather and for the most part it didn't look that bad...actually it looked pretty darn good from what I could tell...although I have nothing to compare it to. As I started to massage the cleaner into a stain I had found, I started getting what seemed to be flakes or very small pieces of something. The towel was getting dirty and I noticed the area I was massaging/scrubbing was starting to look and feel different than the rest of the seat. I could definitely tell where I had been working. So I continued to get the same look/feel and to not have a "weird" spot on the seat. Needless to say, I had a lot of stuff on the towel and I was getting a little concerned. This post mentioned that there is a coating on the seats and I started wondering if I could actually have been taking the coating off??? Or am I just paranoid and the seats are that dirty??? We've had the vehicle for a couple months and it only has 58,000 miles on it, but I have no idea how often or if the seats had ever been cleaned.

Can someone please shed some light on this and hopefully ease my mind!! I've only done the passenger side for now just to be on the safe side.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-28-08, 08:32 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have any pics of it? Its hard to tell from your description
Old 06-29-08, 06:25 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
It sounds like that stain may have been a damaged area. The leather is coated, meaning it has a surface film that gives it uniform color and texture. This coating is applied to the leather to hide blemishes and scars and make it all look uniform. If this coating is removed the underlying leather color and texture will not match. Since you don't know what might have been done to the leather by the previous owner(s) I'd take it to a leather repair shop for an evaluation.
Old 06-29-08, 08:23 AM
djlrx300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
I'll try and get some pics of it today.