Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Does this product exist?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-08, 11:46 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Does this product exist?

I've been searching, and just don't know if this type of product truly exists. I used to think it did,.. but now I doubt it.

Anyhow --

I know polishing will remove light swirls, and light scratches.

Scratch-X and similar products will remove similar marks.

But what about the fresh scratches that has gone through some paint, but not 'all of it'. Close to the primer, but is only the diameter of a razor blade, but say an inch in length.

Is there any product out there that when applied, will take surrounding paint, soften it, and somehow allow that paint to 'fill' the area that is scratched deeper?

I realize if such a product exists it would only work on very thin scratches,.. and nothing rediuclously deep.

I could of sworn I used some infomercial G37 or something in a tube years ago on my fathers 93 LS 400 that had a gash down the entire drivers side that was missing paint in the middle of that gash. I rubbed that product on and sure enough when I was done you could not tell anything had happened. It virtually put paint where none was. And it lasted until he sold it,.. Didn't wear out.

There has to be something..

Only thing that makes me doubt is that there is a clearcoat obviously.. To spread paint, the clearcoat would have to be spread or altered as well.

Though: On the flip side: -- That would be ok if somehow the product sort of softened the paint up temporarily AND as a result the clearcoat was softened as well.. where it did 'fill' the small area and when done it would harden back with clearcoat in it. If that makes any sense.

I can see the theory working, because moving a tiny layer of paint (sort of borrowing from surrounding paint to fill the middle) works.. as the paint is thick enough to move a little from a decent area size and not make it noticeable.

Anyhow, you guys get the idea -- Probably a pipe dream, but if I could find something like this , there are so many spots on my car (small slits) that I would love to repair.

Any information would be VERY appreciated.
Old 03-15-08, 01:37 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

none that i know off....should try QUIXX..
Old 03-15-08, 06:43 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Scratch repairing paint

http://www.baynews.bayer.de/news/new...010050000&l=EN

Nissan delivered this paint on some Infiniti in 08.
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS...1202-01-e.html

My BIL owns an Infiniti with this paint and I declined to detail it.

Last edited by jfelbab; 03-15-08 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-15-08, 07:20 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Scratch repairing paint

http://www.baynews.bayer.de/news/new...010050000&l=EN

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS...1202-01-e.html

Nissan is shipping some 08 Infiniti models with this paint. My BIL owns one and I declined to detail it as I don't know what my process and products would do to it.

I wonder how you would get this repaired and who is selling the paint in the US for such a repair. I didn't see anything offered from PPG or Dupont.
Old 03-15-08, 09:05 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

^^^^ Wow!!