Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Anyone with experience polishing self healing paint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-19, 05:29 PM
sjj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone with experience polishing self healing paint?

Just bought a 2017 Lexus RX350 and was planning a full detailing with clay bar, iron remover, light polish with Menzerna Super Finish Plus and application of PNS. I just learned the paint has some form of self healing coating and now I’m concerned about the claying and polishing in that it might cause problems with the self healing coating. Anyone have experience with this that can provide guidance or recommendations? I don’t want to remove or jeopardize the self healing coating.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (04-05-19)
Old 04-02-19, 06:52 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I don't find the "self healing coating" to be effective at all, and a good coating is more effective at keeping your car looking better, longer, at least in my experience. I treat mine no different than if it didn't have the coating. I just clay/polish/coat etc however I want.
Old 04-05-19, 04:50 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

When you say "Self Healing Paint" I assume you mean that this RX has "Paint Protection Film = PPF" on it-correct? This is something many of the newer Films have which has the "Small" capability of "Healing" any tiny nicks and stuff that occur over time. I had my entire RCF done with Suntek Ultra, and then covered by the awesome CQuartz Finest Reserve Ceramic Coating. I now must be extra careful with the products I use to maintain both the PPF and CC - meaning you seriously should be cautious of the products you use. My wife has the exact same RX350 (Luxury Edition-w all bells & whistles) and I've done complete Decontamination & Polishing to it. You really should use something extra fine when doing a Clay Bar to the vehicle. Ive found these products to be the easiest to use, long lasting, and have different "grain" to them for tacking different jobs. I've used several Clay Bars on my 3 vehicles, and found them to rank highest.

Are you planning to polish it with something like this - which again Ive found it to be the most User Friendly Polishing Device ever made! Its literally foolproof and can not damage either the PPF or Paint no matter how hard you try. You can get it with different Products in Kits too. I use "Pinnacle" Products on her RX, but do not use them on my RCF (See my Thread on Ammo Products) which are a bit more expensive-but then again so is the car itself. Essentially - just be cautious of exactly what you use on the PPF - again, if that's what you initially meant by "Healing Paint" in your description. I have never heard of Self Healing "Clear Coat" if you meant that?
Bottom line- have fun doing this task my man! When you stand back a few hours later and look at your completed project - you should be proud of what you've done to both make that RX look stunning, but also to protect, and strengthen the finish of that beautiful Lexus! Good luck & have fun!

**PM me if you'd like further details-I'm extremely enthusiastic about Care-Care Products and their use!
Old 04-05-19, 07:54 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

That's not what the OP is referring to.

This is from the owner's manual on my GS:

■ Self-restoring coat*
The vehicle body has a self-restoring coating that is resistant to small surface scratches
caused in a car wash etc.
● The coating lasts for 5 to 8 years from when the vehicle is delivered from the plant.
● The restoration time differs depending on the depth of the scratch and outside temperature.
The restoration time may become shorter when the coating is warmed by
applying warm water.
● Deep scratches caused by keys, coins, etc. cannot be restored.
● Do not use wax that contain abrasives.
*: CFRP parts (GS F) do not have a self-restoring coat.
Old 04-05-19, 08:37 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

I see. Then I should delete my Post?
Old 04-05-19, 08:40 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
I see. Then I should delete my Post?
I'm not a mod, but that doesn't seem necessary, at least in my opinion. You still provided good information that would pop up in a forum search.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (04-05-19)