Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Baby Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 06:57 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby Oil?

so this guy at the Acura Dealer said he uses Baby Oil for his leather seats and its way better then other products...
thoughts?
Old 09-28-06, 08:50 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with doing that. Maybe I'll try it when my Turtle Wax leather conditioner runs out. Much cheaper than automotive leather stuff.
Old 09-29-06, 06:12 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a great idea really, here are a couple informed opinions ( people who work in the leather field) on it pulled from a Google search:

The fastest way to ruin a leather garment is to use the wrong product in its care. Baby oil is not healthy for your leather. It is an oil based dirt collector that will eventually saturate the garment. Most of it is mineral oil, which is an enemy of leather fiber.
The finish on most outer garment leather is intrinsically water repellent. Don't expect to make leather water proof without destroying it. In treating leather garments, less is more. There are many commercial silicone based and other non-mineral oil "water proofing" products available that "float" on the surface and will not harm your garment. Use it sparingly and in moderation and your garment will last a lifetime.
I am occasionally asked to save or restore leather outer garments that have been improperly treated, usually with penetrating oil products. A job [which is] usually not possible. A leather garment should be water repellent and will resist a surprisingly large amount of water without any treatment at all. If you want water proof get Goretex.
- anonymous at ARROW1902@aol.com
And:

My Dad works with leather, and I work with him, so... One word of advice when "un-distressing" leather: do _*not!*_ use baby oil to condition it. I made that mistake once. It makes it tacky and the leather dye comes off. Use Lexol. It works.

==Narloth
With so many products made especially for (safe!) leather care, there's really no reason to go experimental on your leather and possibly bring it to an early demise.

Just be careful.
Old 09-29-06, 07:49 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus seat leathers are different than what Honda uses. Lexus are coated to wear longer.

It a good idea to use what is designed for the vehicle and it's leathers.

Lexus supplies a fine conditioner and cleaner. Connolly Hide Care is also a good brand
Old 09-29-06, 09:15 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

alright thanks guys, he told my mom who got a brand new acura to use that for the seats
Old 10-04-06, 12:52 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

also it must be a mess to clean up the access from the seats
Old 10-06-06, 05:19 AM
cHiTwNGS43
Lexus Test Driver

sun + oil is probably not a good combo on leather.....

plus the smell....
Old 10-06-06, 08:18 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well, i can guess that the oil will give the leather a nicer shine BUT im SURE the long term affects are not worth it and it will somehow damage ur leather... to the acura sales man and who ever thought of it