Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Murphys oil soap for leather?

Old 07-19-04, 04:26 PM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Murphys oil soap for leather?

The local detail shop recommended that I start using this product on our leather. What does everyone think? They claim it is the best >>?
Old 07-19-04, 05:52 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Glad you brought this up...it's more complicated

I have used it in the past with good results, but I quit using it recently when I did a little digging ( through a MSDS search) and found it contained a small amount ( 3 %) of potassium hydroxide , which is also known as ;

*Caustic potash solutions
*Potassium hydrate solutions
*Lye
*Potassa
*KOH

Prior to my MSDS inquiry, I had only read about it's gentleness, from the company itself and others. The company line is that the product contains "no harsh chemicals", Unfortunately, potassium hydroxide is HARSH, and caustic to leather. Here is one website's comments on potassium hydroxide;

All living tissues, especially animal fibers such as wool, leather, silk and human skin are rapidly dissolved by KOH ( potassium hydroxide ) and thus destroyed. Plant fibers like cotton and rubber are less readily attacked
Ok, now....Playing the Devil's Advocate here...since most all automotive leather is polyurethane or polyvinyl coated, it probably never actually GETS to the leather itself, and it does work on vinyl, which the company lists as the soap being effective on ( vinyl floors etc.), and cleans well. I won't be the one to tell you it's going to do any damage, because on the leathers, I've used it on it hasn't, BUT...I would hereby NOT recommend it when there are OTHER SAFER OPTIONS out there to choose, i.e.Lexol cleaner, Woolite etc.

The bottom line is, it's probably fine for coated leathers, but then, that poly clear coating on your Lexus leather also needs special care, and the fact that Murphy's contains even a TINY amount of LYE, isn't a good thing IMO. Murphy's site here ....

http://www.murphyoilsoap.com/app/Mur...rt/FAQs.cvsp#1

....says ;
Murphy® Oil Soap is ideal for cleaning finished wood floors, furniture and cabinets. You can also trust Murphy's® to safely clean no-wax floors, tile, painted surfaces, laminates, marble, linoleum/vinyl, fabrics, and more!
In the end, it's up to the individual to decide. If you've used it a while and have great results, you'll likely keep using it and be ok. For me, I'm a bit of a "chemist wanna be" and I like to dig a bit deeper, because as is evident here, and typical, we cannot rely on the word of the manufacturer and their lables to list EVERY ingredient in a product. They don't. The MSDS requires them to identify anything of a danger .Since Murphy's product isn't specifically engineered for leather or treated leather, I would rather see people using a dedicated vinyl or leather cleaner. In the end, it's a tiny amount of a caustic chemical, and remember- human perspiration in itself is also BAD for leather (salt) so I don't want to blow this out of proportion where everyone will condemn the product, just that the fact it's in there should be noted.

P.S. A MSDS is a "Material Safety Data Sheet" that anyone can obtain if they write to the company, essentially a document that provides information about a given chemical product. It includes the name, composition (chemicals in the product), hazards, first aid measures, fire fighting measures, information regarding the proper steps to take with spills, handling and storage, personal protection to be used, physical and chemical properties, and information about stability & reactivity, toxicology, disposal, transporting, and regulatory requirements

Last edited by Guitarman; 07-19-04 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-20-04, 10:08 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Short and sweet---I would not use it. Use a good leather conditioner.
Old 07-21-04, 01:04 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This is also a resource I use for MSDS info:

http://msds.pdc.cornell.edu/
Old 07-21-04, 04:53 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Good link, thanks RA.
Old 10-29-14, 05:58 PM
brandonb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not true about lye.

Originally Posted by Guitarman
I have used it in the past with good results, but I quit using it recently when I did a little digging ( through a MSDS search) and found it contained a small amount ( 3 %) of potassium hydroxide , which is also known as ;

*Caustic potash solutions
*Potassium hydrate solutions
*Lye
*Potassa
*KOH

Prior to my MSDS inquiry, I had only read about it's gentleness, from the company itself and others. The company line is that the product contains "no harsh chemicals", Unfortunately, potassium hydroxide is HARSH, and caustic to leather.
Hey I just wanted to let you know that lye is not bad for leather, it is used as a cleaner, in fact saddle soap, which is used exclusively for the purpose of cleaning leather, contains lye. Lye in large amounts is bad for leather, but when using murphy's oil soap you should use two drops of soap for every two cups of water, so it's really a miniscule amount of lye you are using. I hope this info helps you in the future.
Old 11-05-14, 05:03 PM
Nospinzone

Received 405 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by kutscher
The local detail shop recommended that I start using this product on our leather. What does everyone think? They claim it is the best >>?
Hmmm, I don't know. We have hardwood floors in out house and a very knowledgeable shop installed some of the floors and finished some other existing floors. They said to absolutely avoid using Murphys Oil Soap. I'm guessing that if it shouldn't be used on hardwood floors, it shouldn't be used on leather.
Old 11-05-14, 08:05 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,676 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Murphys Oil Soap is good on some types of wood, but anything that has a urethane type finish can't see it being the right product for the job.