Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Zaino 1st Time Application - Summary

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-01, 02:06 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely to the rims so that the brake dust will wash off easily. I haven't used Z2 on the window yet, but I do use Z6 on the windows. It makes water blow right off.
Old 11-09-01, 02:35 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Color makes a difference

Two additional thoughts to add to the Zaino discussion: I’ve just gone from a red (medium candy-apple red Lexus called “Garnet” on the SC400) to a white (Lexus calls “Pearl” on the GS400). Zaino looked FANTASTIC on the SC but its advantage over other lesser “waxes” is less apparent on the white car. This isn’t anything new – a darker car can support a deeper looking shine than a light-colored car. The shine is just not as noticeable on a light color. So – is Zaino worth the effort on a light-colored car? For me, by itself, the difference in “shine” is not really worth it – but the ease of applying additional coats as well as the durability is, so I’ll stick with Z.

Secondly, once I’ve got the Zaino base built up – I sometimes will just reapply the top and hood – next weekend, maybe the right side, then the left side, etc. In other words, there is no law, commandment, edict, rule, etc. that requires that you do the whole car or none at all. I’ll wash it and Z6 it whenever it needs it – each weekend or so – and maybe it’ll take a month to get another full coat on it – so? Nothing wrong with doing it incrementally if time won’t permit a full multi-part application. Just my way – but the car always looks great.
Old 11-09-01, 08:23 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Thanks!

Garnet - U've restored my sanity!! I thought I was the only one to apply Zaino in a sectional method. As the hood/roof/trunk tend to hold dirt more easily, I'll Z-5/Z-3 them every other weekend & then do the sides on the remaining weekends ( yeah, i know that means I'm Zaino'ing every weekend but we've already established that I have NO life !!! ). I've also noticed ( anyone else? ) that the urethane sides/nose/rear bumper cover don't show as much of a shine improvement of Z-3 over Z-5 while it's readily apparent on the steel portions of the car so I cut time by using one or the other but rarely both.
Damn - Applying thin coats really does seem to help the shine &, of course, the removal of Zaino. I also use Z-3 on my chrome rims - helps the shine but can't say that it keeps the brake dust from sticking to the wheels. Sal himself say to use Z-6 on the windows - kinda works like Rain-X as the water beads up & runs right off like Rod said.