Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
Old 12-16-14, 11:47 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Making your own wax at home?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-14, 08:51 AM
pewterss
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Making your own wax at home?

So I am curious if anyone on these boards here have attempted to make their own home brew car wax. I have been detailing my cars, and bikes since I was like 15 yrs old and always had a fascination with making things shiney. I have used every product that you can find in any local automotive store. I have even used Zaino products and have been using them for quite some time (8yrs). But as a home/hobby project and of course with some inspiration from Sonic, and Dodo/RB I decided to give this a shot. For the last month or so I have researched the hell out of this and purchased a bunch of supplies, ingredients. Even went as far as contacting some manufactures regarding some polymers to use in the wax. Hoping to find the right receipt that will give my car a super high gloss, and repel water and dirt. Granted I could have just said screw it and buy a batch of Chemical Guys waxes, heard alot of great things about them, but I wanted the experience of doing this. Something I can knock off the bucket list if you want to call it that, especially being a car enthusiast and a super **** detailer. So just in case you have tried it out at home, let me know how it went and if you would try it again? I'll send/post some pics of the wax, and the results from my car once I get there. I am sure it will be some time before that happens. Maybe a week or 2... ciao for now.

Last edited by pewterss; 06-01-14 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-29-14, 11:39 AM
pewterss
Driver

Picture of some of my supplies that arrived earlier in the week. Now hoping I don't burn down the house...
Attached Thumbnails Making your own wax at home?-img_7558.jpg  

Last edited by pewterss; 03-29-14 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-30-14, 06:49 PM
pewterss
Driver

So was a fun weekend. Made 3 different waxes, didn't expect much other than having some fun with it. The 4th and 5th ones I made a bunch of changes and better results. Have something extra planned up my sleeves for tmrw night... hoping something I ordered comes in though.
Attached Thumbnails Making your own wax at home?-img_7562.jpg   Making your own wax at home?-img_7566.jpg   Making your own wax at home?-img_7578.jpg   Making your own wax at home?-img_7574.jpg   Making your own wax at home?-img_7588.jpg  

Old 03-30-14, 06:52 PM
pewterss
Driver

So I changed the forms a bunch and came up with 2 new ones I'm really happy with. I will test it on my car with the hopes it does something good. Maybe I will post some pics of that later today.
Attached Thumbnails Making your own wax at home?-img_7587.jpg   Making your own wax at home?-img_7576.jpg  
Old 03-31-14, 12:08 PM
pewterss
Driver

So tested it on my Starfire pearl, looks good but with the lighting and color can't really see the pics when taking with my iPhone. Did this on my buddies black edge and here you can see the wax so its magic even though the picture isn't high quality. But the beading wasn't as good as the CD's. So needs more work.
Attached Thumbnails Making your own wax at home?-img_7584.jpg   Making your own wax at home?-img_7583.jpg  
Old 04-03-14, 10:05 AM
pewterss
Driver

So I have become a fiend in making waxes, been making 1 or 2 every night and just ordered more 'stuff'. The latest 2 creations looks to be rather awesome. Hopefully this weekend is nice enough where I can do some testing on my car. Check out the beading action with my latest creations. So far beading action on the first few have been ok, but the last 4 work beautifully. Pics to come soon.
Attached Thumbnails Making your own wax at home?-img_76682.jpg  
Old 04-03-14, 01:08 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

this seems rather interesting..whats the carnauba content in them?
Old 04-03-14, 09:40 PM
pewterss
Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
this seems rather interesting..whats the carnauba content in them?
22g or 73% Carnauba, and yeah its actually pretty awesome. The experience itself was def worth it.
Old 04-04-14, 07:27 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

sounds like you're going to need an advertising and promotion associate, marketing associate etc...
Old 04-04-14, 10:33 AM
pewterss
Driver

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
sounds like you're going to need an advertising and promotion associate, marketing associate etc...
hahah that seriously sounds like alot already. I think I am just planning on using it myself, but several coworkers are bothering me that they want a container, and a few friends. So I may make a bunch of them and give them out once I find the perfect one. I'm a bit **** and want it perfect. They have seen the panels of my car which I waxed. I'll grab some pics over the weekend since it's SUPPOSED to be nice this weekend on the East Coast... so sick of the winter, and cold weather.
Old 04-05-14, 08:58 PM
pewterss
Driver

So today was rather busy, received the long awaited phone call that my new RIMS arrived. So went and them installed. But I managed to wash and wax the front hood and driver side quarter panels of my car using my homemade wax. Here are 2 pictures I took tonight. You can see the bling.
Will be able to take some more pictures in the day tmrw.

Also the beading, and sheeting is insane. Will try and get some video of it tmrw to post.
Attached Thumbnails Making your own wax at home?-img_7699-small.jpg   Making your own wax at home?-img_7696-small.jpg  
Old 04-08-14, 09:39 PM
pewterss
Driver

So over the past few days, I came up with some new formulas and put them to work. I waxed the car with the new homebrew, (with some new ingredients I ordered) The brew I am working off is the 9th, and 10th versions. I think I will build off from there, this stuff is really coming out awesome.
Below are some pics from after waxing the car and misting/spraying water on the front quarter, and hood. The 3rd pic was a random drop of water that fell on the mirror housing that was waxed, interesting and cool how the water just was banished.
Attached Thumbnails Making your own wax at home?-img_7747.jpg   Making your own wax at home?-img_7748.jpg   Making your own wax at home?-img_7744.jpg  
Old 04-08-14, 09:43 PM
pewterss
Driver

Tonight I made 2 more iterations of my 11th, and 12th waxes.... These versions are very buttery, smells great and just slippery. Can't wait to try it out on my car this weekend. Will wash the car and then apply it. Will take pics and post afterwards.
Attached Thumbnails Making your own wax at home?-img_7764.jpg   Making your own wax at home?-img_7765.jpg   Making your own wax at home?-img_7766.jpg  
Old 04-12-14, 11:42 PM
pewterss
Driver

Will I will be making a few samples this upcoming week for some people asking for it. If anyone would like a sample of this awesome stuff I finally created let me know. Send me your info via a PM and I'll let you know when it ships out. Will post some video later tonight once i get it uploaded.
Old 04-13-14, 12:12 AM
pewterss
Driver

Not the greatest video but you can see results. Portion of car closest to camera has not been treated with THE wax. Portion of hood furthest away from camera has been treated,

Last edited by pewterss; 04-13-14 at 05:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Making your own wax at home?