Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

candy paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-04, 07:51 PM
twankys
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default candy paint

can someone tell me what candy paint is...does it make your paint look wet? how much does a candy paint job cost?i have a 97 red sc and i have bunch of fine swirl marks and i am looking into something called diamond gloss paint service from ziebart....not sure if ziebart is nationwide but just curious if anyone has heard of it and let me know what you think about it......its like wax but not actually wax i forget what the guy said it was, but he told me it would make my car shine a lot better.....i really am wanting my car to look wet though.....just wondering if someone could fill me in a little about it

thanks
Ryan
Old 03-05-04, 09:16 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've painted quite a few cars, but never did a candy job, here's some info from a cycle board on the definition;

3 Stage - 3 stage paint consists of a basecoat, a midcoat, then a clearcoat. Most 3 stage paints are either pearl or candy paint jobs. Example: If you wanted a 3 stage white pearl. You would first spray a white base, then a pearl coat, then the clearcoat. A 3 stage candy job would consist of a base color (sometimes silver), then a "tinted" clearcoat. The most popular is the "Candy Apple Red"
Candy Apple - Candy Apple paint is a tinted transparent type paint that is applied over another color to give it extreme depth. Most candy apple jobs are applied over either a silver or gold basecoat. Spraying over different basecoats will give the same color candy apple different effects. If you spray candy apple over white, you will get a "neon" or very birght color effect. Spraying over a black pearl will make the color extremely dark, but you will still see the pearl flakes the same color as the candy apple.
It will be similar in cost to a 3 stage (like the Lexus Pearls) paint job, so yes it will cost more due to the extra steps involved.
Old 03-06-04, 02:29 AM
Din
Lexus Champion

a kandy paint job starts at 3000$. Kandy paint consist of base coat, kandy coat and then clear coat. with kandy when u paint the kandy coat you have to be smooth and even so that one part doesnt look darker than the other. once u start sprayin kandy you have to keep goin you cant stop unlike other paint jobs.
Old 03-06-04, 06:27 PM
AzLex
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Din
a kandy paint job starts at 3000$. Kandy paint consist of base coat, kandy coat and then clear coat. with kandy when u paint the kandy coat you have to be smooth and even so that one part doesnt look darker than the other. once u start sprayin kandy you have to keep goin you cant stop unlike other paint jobs.
Better go to a shop that has done candy paint jobs before. BTW how is your candy paint hold up?