Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Special Interest Forums > The Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels & Brakes Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Will missing TPMS cause red maintenance light?

Old 12-22-13, 02:42 PM   #1
b33troot
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Will missing TPMS cause red maintenance light?

I'm about to buy a Lexus but can't figure this out... the current owner has two sets of wheels. The wheels on the car do not have the TPMS sensors in them. So it has a warning about this on the screen. It also has the little red triangle with an exclamation point inside of it. The current owner says that is also due to the missing sensors. It seems strange to me that there would be three separate warnings for missing sensors - constant TPMS light, CHECK SYSTEM warning with another TPMS icon above the odo, and the red triangle.

I've gone through the system and deleted all of the normal maintenance required reminders. Oil change, filters, etc. I've tried resetting the light with info I found on this forum - with odometer on total mileage, turn off car, hold 'TRIP' button, press start button 2x. This didn't do anything.

I have also scanned the computer with my OBDII scanner for engine codes/faults, there are none.

If anyone has any info about this I'd really appreciate it. I'm going to try to get my hands on the other set of wheels so I can try to resolve this, but they are in storage or something and I might not be able to do this for a few days.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
b33troot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 10:45 AM   #2
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator
Trader Score: (2)

He is correct, red triangle can indeed mean a general fault in the TPMS system...

To check and make sure, simply roll the wheels to their appropriate positions near the car and see if it resets... they don't have to be bolted on...
- Lots more certs, too many to list here!

2001 Lexus IS300 - 500whp/476wtq (Mustang Dyno)PTE 6765/Custom AEM EMS - Auburn Sky Pearl (1 of 1348)
1999 Isuzu VehiCross 285/75-16 Destination MT's - Astral Silver Metallic (1 of 1021)
mitsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 04:22 AM   #3
yuup
Driver School Candidate

I just started having the same problem the dealership said the sensors were not communicating with the system. Please post when/if you fix yours. My sensors are in the spare in the trunk. Was working fine for months then just quit.
yuup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 08:53 AM   #4
b33troot
Driver School Candidate

I was able to figure this out after some hassle. I had Discount Tire swap the sensors into the wheels that are on the car. They told me all of the sensors were working and everything was registered. The lights did not go out and they couldn't figure out why.

I took it to the dealer yesterday and they said that Discount Tire set it up incorrectly. They linked up everything and all of my dash lights are now gone.

$20 to pull sensors out of aftermarket wheels.
$70 Discount Tire to install sensors in stock wheels w/ rebuild kits
$100 Dealer charge to link sensors correctly

TPMS is a pain in the ***.
Old 12-27-13, 08:54 AM   #5
b33troot
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuup View Post
I just started having the same problem the dealership said the sensors were not communicating with the system. Please post when/if you fix yours. My sensors are in the spare in the trunk. Was working fine for months then just quit.
How old are they? Battery could be dead in one or more of them. Lifespan is supposed to be 7-10 years I believe.
Old 12-27-13, 08:54 AM