Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Different centerbore - smaller to larger, what bad happens?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-09, 05:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts
Default Different centerbore - smaller to larger, what bad happens?

I'm looking into the possibility of using some Lexus wheels on a Mazda (long story, it's for a "Lemons" Mazda 626 race car) and my crack research team (google) tells me that the bolt pattern is the same 5 x 114.3, but the centerbore is different.

Lexus is typically 60.1
Mazda is typically 67.1

I've always read of using centering rings but assumed those were for fitting larger bores to smaller bore wheels... but I'm no expert in this area.

Can anybody tell me if I can make these work?
Old 02-23-09, 07:09 PM
white_is
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should be able to take it to a machine shop and have them enlarge it.

this guy had STI BBS rims machined to fit on an IS. the bore for the STI was like 56 so it was smaller to larger.

http://my.is/forums/f95/sti-bbs-is3-...e-pics-381487/
Old 02-23-09, 08:30 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I'm looking into the possibility of using some Lexus wheels on a Mazda (long story, it's for a "Lemons" Mazda 626 race car) and my crack research team (google) tells me that the bolt pattern is the same 5 x 114.3, but the centerbore is different.

Lexus is typically 60.1
Mazda is typically 67.1

I've always read of using centering rings but assumed those were for fitting larger bores to smaller bore wheels... but I'm no expert in this area.

Can anybody tell me if I can make these work?
The wheels will bolt right up hub rings are unnecessary but just make it easier to put the wheel on and make sure that it is centered. Its actually the other way around the center bores of aftermarket wheels are usually larger than stock. I currently have Infiniti wheels which have a center bore of 66.06 and I have used hub rings on the GS4. You can find a set of the ones that you need here for example or on ebay. They are 20 for a set
Just down to 67 outer diameter to 60.06 inner and you are good.
Old 02-25-09, 02:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

He's trying to put the Lexus wheels onto the Mazda, not the other way around.

You'll need to have a machine shop bore out the wheels. No one I know makes anything that reduces the center-bore. I guess you can make spacers in such a way that they'll work, but its probably cheaper just to bore the wheels.
Old 03-01-09, 01:01 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ I was thinking the same thing...Dave is trying to place these on the Mazda not the other way around. You can do one of 2 things have the center bore corrected with a machine shop if it wont take away from the rim. The other I was thinking you can get a bolt on spacer, like Ichiba Type II, with the correct center bore/adapter if they have it. Just an idea for something to look into.
Old 03-02-09, 12:28 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

even with spacers you would need custom ones since the ones normally sold retain the OEM bore of the car they were made for.

machine shop is your best bet.
Old 03-02-09, 04:00 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Dave.

You can make this work if there aren't any other offset or interference issues present. Some of the OE Lexus wheels are somewhat high offset, so keep this in mind.

Opening the hub bores is not a big deal. A good machine shop should be able to do it for you. The hardest part of this is getting a machine shop to 'fuxture' the wheels (hold them in the machine) without damaging the finish. If they're going on a race car this probably isn't a huge concern.

There are two methods for opening the hub bores: turning the wheels on a lathe or cutting the hubs on a mill. Most shops around here would prefer to just fixture them on a mill, indicate them in (to ensure they're centered) and milling them. Chucking them up on a lathe arguably is better/more precise but requires more set-up.

The biggest issue I see is the lug nuts. The Toyota/Lexus OE wheels use a shank style lug nut with an integral flat washer. Don't use a different nut, like the OE Mazda they won't seat properly. Use the OE Lexus lug nuts!!!

Hit me up if you need help! bigaudiobob@gmail.com
Old 03-06-15, 07:12 PM
jryan19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels

Originally Posted by white_is
you should be able to take it to a machine shop and have them enlarge it.

this guy had STI BBS rims machined to fit on an IS. the bore for the STI was like 56 so it was smaller to larger.

http://my.is/forums/f95/sti-bbs-is3-...e-pics-381487/
7mm is a lot to take out. It may compromise the strength of the wheel if u remove that much. Just a thought.

Jim