Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Could someone recommend a good tire for me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-07, 05:37 PM
coleco
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could someone recommend a good tire for me?

Hey everyone,
Went to have the oil changed at the Toyota place for my ES 350. The guy asked if I wanted a rotation and balance and I said sure, go for it. The car pulls to the left on highways anyway (Lexus said could not reproduce). When i went to check out he said they did not bother, the tires were shot!! Interesting, they did not look that bad to me except in the middle of the tire, it is totally bare, the edges have i thought some good tread - I'll take a more critical look with the penny thing or whatever.
Assuming i have only a few thousand miles or so left, I am somewhat disgusted that these tires are dying. I only have 15K miles on the car. Now that I have researched the Toyo Proxie I am realizing the difference between summer, all season, etc.
Can anyone rec a couple of good all around tires for the ES350. I am not trying to be cheap, but I guess I am. I really dont want to think about the tires again for a few years. I live in NC, usually no snow but sometimes in the winter we get some. Usually some ice, harsh rain at times. The thought of summer, dry pavement specialty tires is very unappealing. any thoughts would be appreciated. I would like to keep road noise down on the tires a little, but the car doesnt have to float like its not touching the ground. I am sure there are tradeoffs. Thanks.

Coleco
Old 03-27-07, 06:13 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coleco
Hey everyone,
Went to have the oil changed at the Toyota place for my ES 350. The guy asked if I wanted a rotation and balance and I said sure, go for it. The car pulls to the left on highways anyway (Lexus said could not reproduce). When i went to check out he said they did not bother, the tires were shot!! Interesting, they did not look that bad to me except in the middle of the tire, it is totally bare, the edges have i thought some good tread - I'll take a more critical look with the penny thing or whatever.
Assuming i have only a few thousand miles or so left, I am somewhat disgusted that these tires are dying. I only have 15K miles on the car. Now that I have researched the Toyo Proxie I am realizing the difference between summer, all season, etc.
Can anyone rec a couple of good all around tires for the ES350. I am not trying to be cheap, but I guess I am. I really dont want to think about the tires again for a few years. I live in NC, usually no snow but sometimes in the winter we get some. Usually some ice, harsh rain at times. The thought of summer, dry pavement specialty tires is very unappealing. any thoughts would be appreciated. I would like to keep road noise down on the tires a little, but the car doesnt have to float like its not touching the ground. I am sure there are tradeoffs. Thanks.

Coleco
Mine came with the Michelin tires on it. I now have almost 11K miles on them. I rotated them at 5K. They still look new and I hope to get 50K+ out of them. I have always been happy with Michelin products.
Old 03-27-07, 07:08 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did some research on this and the Goodyear Triple Tread is a very good tire. Had them on my 2004 Lincoln LS. They rode smooth, were excellent in the rain and were lasting long before I traded the LS in. For our ES350, the Goodyear Triple Tread treadwear rating is 740 versus 200 for the standard Michelin tires that are on the ES350 now.
Old 03-28-07, 06:32 AM
BobBass
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Check out what "The TireRack" has to say:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Select...7&autoModClar=
Old 03-28-07, 10:49 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

I know you said you are really not thrilled about summer tires but I think they are your best bet, especially in view of where you live. The reality is you hardly get any ice or snow and summer tires will give you infinitely better grip and ride qulaity compared to any all-season. All season's are a decent compromise if you want them to do everything. Just be aware that they'll do everything but they'll do it not so well.

In terms of specific recommendations I can tell you that the Michelins are just alright and are overpriced compared to the competition. I'd look into the Bridgestone's and Yokohama's.

BTW, in reading your post what caused your overwear in the center of the tire was that it was overinflated. Be sure when you buy new ones to stick to 32psi.
Old 03-28-07, 12:00 PM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

YOKOHAMA AVID V4s

Terrific tire. Good treadwear, very quiet and smooth, AA traction means rain will give you no problems. Additionally, very reasonably priced for a V rated 17 inch tire.
They happen to be "directional" so you'll only be able to rotate tires on same side of the vehicle.

Lots of good reviews to boot.......
They'll definitely be a bit cheaper than Michelins !
Old 03-28-07, 01:36 PM
dgrady42
Driver School Candidate

Default Yokohama V4S

I would agree with the user that recommended the YOk V4S tire. I used to own a tire business and all my vehicles and relatives got Yokohama.

As for the other issues, the pulling could be from the car being out of alignment or one of the tires may have been low on air.

The fact that your tires are worn in the center and not the edges, this would indicate over inflation. If you use compressed air you tire temperature will have a great impact on tire pressure (about 1 lb pressure change for every 10 lbs temperature change. I have recommended using nitrogen in place of compressed air but there are those in this forum that believe it is a farce (I am not one of those) again everyone I know has nitrogen in their tires.

Good luck
Old 03-29-07, 04:04 PM
coleco
Rookie

Thank you everyone for your nice replies. I will take all of this into account especially the overinflation issues, etc.

(I also want to apologize for the tardiness in my thank you response. I have been without internet for a day and a half. The cable man left about an hour ago - it seems cable lines don't stand up that well to bulldozers...)
Old 03-29-07, 04:48 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Goodyear * 10.
Old 03-30-07, 07:21 AM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Bridgestone Turanza LS-V's. Very quiet, great grip in wet or dry, great looking sidewall, all season tire.
Old 03-30-07, 08:02 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LXMN
Bridgestone Turanza LS-V's. Very quiet, great grip in wet or dry, great looking sidewall, all season tire.
The LS-V stuff is going away... Still using the Turanza name though... But I agree, Bridgestone and Michelin are the way to go - very well worth the extra couple dollars... If you want something at a mid-level price point, Bridgestone and Michelin still have it, or you could do something from Yokohama - they make excellent tires as well... The Goodyear Assurance lineup is excellent too...

What tires are on the car now? is it the Toyo's like you mentioned or???
Old 03-31-07, 08:12 PM
coleco
Rookie

thanks again for the continued responses. I currently have the Toyo Proxies 33 or something like that. they have 15k on them. I took another look at them again today and I really am not sure they are as bad off as the Toyota person (had the oil change there) said. I am thinking he was trying to sell me new tires and thats it. He specifically said one of the front ones was shot - they both look the same to me. I may have someone else take a look at them to see if they agree with me. Its funny that they would not rotate and balance them because they were too far gone.
Old 04-01-07, 07:27 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by coleco
thanks again for the continued responses. I currently have the Toyo Proxies 33 or something like that. they have 15k on them. I took another look at them again today and I really am not sure they are as bad off as the Toyota person (had the oil change there) said. I am thinking he was trying to sell me new tires and thats it. He specifically said one of the front ones was shot - they both look the same to me. I may have someone else take a look at them to see if they agree with me. Its funny that they would not rotate and balance them because they were too far gone.
The stock Toyo's on those cars are junk... They don't last long (usually around 30k), and they look like they're worn out from day one... It's just the way the tire is built, but it makes it easy to convince someone they are worn out too... IMO, almost anything would be an upgrade, the Toyo's are expensive, hard to find, and just a pain in the *** overall...