Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Groaning (not squeaking) Noise Coming from Left Front Side Wheel when Coming to Stop

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-13, 06:20 AM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Groaning (not squeaking) Noise Coming from Left Front Side Wheel when Coming to Stop

Car: 1999 Lexus GS400

There is a groaning noise coming from my left front side wheel. The groaning noise comes after the car has been driven for a little bit, maybe 5-10 minutes or so and then the groaning begins. There is a horrible wheel shake when driven on the highway as well. I don't think it could be the brakes because the car makes the noise even when my car comes to a stop without application of the brakes...unless, the brakes are always used when the car comes to a stop without using the brake pedal. There is also a burning rubber smell that comes from the left front wheel.

My three possible amateur diagnoses are:
1. Brake pads/rotors
2. Left wheel bearing
3. Other suspension issue like ball joint or bushings, but I got those replaced not too long ago...

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!

Thanks in advance to all of you!
Old 04-03-13, 09:38 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Do you hear it while applying the brakes at low speeds or all speeds?

It's most likely the brakes, wheel bearing, or motor mounts.

I just solved a similar issue that turned out to be motor mount related: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...downhills.html

I would hear it only under hard braking when the car was almost to a stop. I would never hear anything at high speed no matter how hard I applied the brakes. Both motor mounts were broken.

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 04-25-13 at 02:22 PM.