RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-17, 07:43 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Couple of questions

Looking into a new RX and it seems like there are quite a few combinations. I'm wondering if some can help me understand the car better before I start talking with the dealer

1. Why price range is so big? I see it from low 40s to 60s. I never thought an RX would cost that much. What are the major cost factors here?

2. I'm looking for something that is more on the comfort side so I think I should go with 18". Does it make that much difference? If not I would prefer 20". I know the best thing is to drive but I want to hear what others say. We had 19 on the 15 and like the feel. How are 18 and 20 compared to 19" from 15 model? We never like 18 on 15 model. It made us dizzy.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by 1111GS; 02-24-17 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-25-17, 04:09 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

It is all about options. With all the bells and whistles the RX can exceed $60k. You decide.

As as far as wheels go, the larger wheels look better to most but ride a little more rough.

You need to go and test ride to see what you like best. Your dealer should have a good range of vehicles to pick from.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 02-25-17 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-25-17, 09:34 AM
uhaveit
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Looking into a new RX and it seems like there are quite a few combinations. I'm wondering if some can help me understand the car better before I start talking with the dealer

1. Why price range is so big? I see it from low 40s to 60s. I never thought an RX would cost that much. What are the major cost factors here?

2. I'm looking for something that is more on the comfort side so I think I should go with 18". Does it make that much difference? If not I would prefer 20". I know the best thing is to drive but I want to hear what others say. We had 19 on the 15 and like the feel. How are 18 and 20 compared to 19" from 15 model? We never like 18 on 15 model. It made us dizzy.

Many thanks in advance.
I always drove European cars ( Mercedes and BMW ) and decided to take a look at Lexus after persistent requests from my Wife for over a decade.
In my opinion Lexus is a downgrade from BMW, AUDI or Mercedes and do not went to spend more than 40-41 K if I can find one.
Found a car that was 300 miles away from my home that came with minimum options ( rear door opener , Heated seats etc with an MSRP of 45.5) and ended up getting it for 41 after all taxes, Fees , Tint etc.
My thought process was the engine and the overall car was the same be at 40K RX or 60K RX except for fancy options which I never can never justify to myself about the additional cost.
I am sure fellow RX owners disagree with me but it all comes down to how much you want to spend on a car . I am happy with my purchase after I swapped the 18 to 20 inch wheels . The 18 inch were out of place on sporty looking car and ended up spending over 1K to upgrade .
My wife enjoys her drive and I like the fact that I just spent 42 K on a very popular and reliable SUV that will serve us for a long time.
Old 02-25-17, 10:47 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

This generation RX is much nicer and more refined than previous generations. So with more refinement and tech, the more the cost is going to be. You wil have to pay for the extra options.
The low $40K RX350 are nice cars, fairly well equipped for a base model. But nothing special about them. The high $50K-60K RX350 are nice luxury cars with features that really make the RX a luxury SUV such as larger wheels, semi-aniline leather, ML sound, large Nav screen, panoramic view parking, large sunroof, auto high beams, etc.
Old 02-25-17, 10:58 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Before you purchase this vehicle make sure to read the 40 pages of Excessive noise and vibrations.
I would Definitely NOT purchase this vehicle again. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-25-17, 12:16 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Thank you all for the responses and feedback. I had an RX demo with 20" before but wasn't really checking into what other stuff it has. At the time, we felt it wasn't as quiet but it could be because we were driving the GX that day. Test driving is certainly planned. I just wanted to get a feel to know more about the car before I hit the dealer.

RX and Lexus are not new to me. While I don't see a Lexus as a downgrade from German's, I agree with the opinion about high prices for loaded RX. It's nice to add more features but when an RX gets closer or passes GS and GX, it's expected for someone to question about pricing. At the end of the day, it is an RX. Lexus doesn't care because it seems like they hit home run with this re design. Most buyers don't care about the extra they pay for features either. So it works in this case. But to me, yes, I can not see myself getting an RX for high 50s or low 60s regardless what it's equipped with. High 40s and low 50s sound more right in my opinion. And that's where mine is gonna fall into .
Old 02-25-17, 12:35 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Thank you all for the responses and feedback. I had an RX demo with 20" before but wasn't really checking into what other stuff it has. At the time, we felt it wasn't as quiet but it could be because we were driving the GX that day. Test driving is certainly planned. I just wanted to get a feel to know more about the car before I hit the dealer.

RX and Lexus are not new to me. While I don't see a Lexus as a downgrade from German's, I agree with the opinion about high prices for loaded RX. It's nice to add more features but when an RX gets closer or passes GS and GX, it's expected for someone to question about pricing. At the end of the day, it is an RX. Lexus doesn't care because it seems like they hit home run with this re design. Most buyers don't care about the extra they pay for features either. So it works in this case. But to me, yes, I can not see myself getting an RX for high 50s or low 60s regardless what it's equipped with. High 40s and low 50s sound more right in my opinion. And that's where mine is gonna fall into .
Keep us posted on your search and good luck!
Old 02-25-17, 01:03 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I had an RX demo with 20" before but wasn't really checking into what other stuff it has. At the time, we felt it wasn't as quiet but it could be because we were driving the GX that day. Test driving is certainly planned. I just wanted to get a feel to know more about the car before I hit the dealer.
As you know, you're going to get a variety of opinions. The only one that matters is yours. So go for that test drive

It's nice to add more features but when an RX gets closer or passes GS and GX, it's expected for someone to question about pricing. At the end of the day, it is an RX. Lexus doesn't care because it seems like they hit home run with this re design. Most buyers don't care about the extra they pay for features either. So it works in this case. But to me, yes, I can not see myself getting an RX for high 50s or low 60s regardless what it's equipped with. High 40s and low 50s sound more right in my opinion. And that's where mine is gonna fall into
Have you checked out the 2017 RX pricing thread? There's plenty of deals out there to make your price point possible. Most people here want a deal and don't want to overpay. Yes, it matters.
Old 02-25-17, 01:49 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
It is all about options. With all the bells and whistles the RX can exceed $60k. You decide.

As as far as wheels go, the larger wheels look better to most but ride a little more rough.

You need to go and test ride to see what you like best. Your dealer should have a good range of vehicles to pick from.
18" wheels make OP dizzy???? How come? I have 18" wheels with winter tires. I don't feel dizzy. Bigger wheels make ride little
harder.
Old 02-25-17, 02:57 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

On my 4th RX 350, now have 2016 w/.6700 miles, 20" Wheels. Only minor problems: Driver's Side Windshield Wiper quit working and attachment nut had to be tightened, also They replaced a "Brake Servo" when the computer would not allow the car to start. Ride is comfortable w/ 20" Wheels. Had the TSB done to smooth out the transmission and it is now Smooth as it should have been in the beginning. No rattles, excessive noise, or vibrations experienced on the 2016............. Nothing is perfect, Lexus has always fixed any discrepancies to my satisfaction.
Old 02-25-17, 08:50 PM
quine
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Low $40s is to get people into the showroom
$60K is for hybrid and fully loaded RXs
When I looked around, $54-$56K seemed to be the typical RX350 and they seemed to be pushing a $55-$56K price range onto me.
From what I remember:
In my area most have the towing, cold weather (it's cold where I live), moon roof, heated seats/steering wheel, moonroof, and premium package
The next big step up in price is due to the navigation system and blind spot monitor- that adds like an extra $2-$3K together
Then finally the $60K ones have everything and the luxury package, Mark Levinson, etc.

Originally Posted by yang88she
18" are on base vehicles ie. $44-$46K, there will be some strange ones like a $50k with nav with 18's but those are rare and few. You can certainly "special order" but expect a 2-3 month turn around and that some options are only available with additional factory options.
Mine was $53K MSRP with 12" nav and some toys with the 18" rims... got lucky with that, I don't want the 20" rims.

Originally Posted by uhaveit
In my opinion Lexus is a downgrade from BMW, AUDI or Mercedes and do not went to spend more than 40-41 K if I can find one.
Tough call- the Germans are superior to Lexus on performance, status, and design as a whole.
Unfortunately they also beat Lexus in draining the bank account and getting to know your mechanic once the warranty ends.
If I'm looking at a car for 4-5yrs, Germans win. If I'm buying long-term- Lexus all the way.
Pretty happy with the RX and think it can stand up to the best that Germans have to offer.