SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help ! I was rear ended 2003 SC 430

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-16, 06:23 PM
aflygurl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help ! I was rear ended 2003 SC 430

I was rear ended on Dec 6. 2015. Does anyone know of a good body shop in th San Francisco Bay Peninsula ? Insurance trying to total me out. They say 18k to repair. But, I tried another body shop that gave me a lower estimate. Not nickel . Suggestions please. I want to keep my car. 69 k miles.

and diming to replace every part as new. High ratings on Yelps too.

After accident . Rear ended .

L Side view .

Bumper after the shop removed cover.

Bent tail pipe.

Trunk floor smashed. Top is fine.
Attached Thumbnails Help ! I was rear ended 2003 SC 430-image.jpg  

Last edited by aflygurl; 01-06-16 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Added text.
Old 01-04-16, 06:35 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That's unfortunate. But if I were you I would just take the insurance payout. If they are going to total it, take the payout and get into another one.
Old 01-04-16, 06:38 PM
aflygurl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, my miles are low 69k and I still owe 10k
Old 01-04-16, 06:46 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, that's a bummer. But consider that you may not have a choice. And if you do end up being able to keep it, the value will be diminished considering that it's had costly body work done to it. It may be hard to swallow but you will probably be better off taking the $8k and putting that money down on something else.

Most people would rather take a total from an insurance company than to have it "almost totaled". You'll take a hit on resale value.
Old 01-04-16, 07:22 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You didn't get GAP coverage when you took out the loan on your car? Highly suggested on used luxury cars because if you were to get into an accident the damages would most likely exceed the value of the car or the amount you still owe on the car. If the insurance is saying it's totaled then it's totaled. If you decide to bring it to any shop you'll be paying more out of pocket to fix it. And if you try to use the insurance then they'll deny any more of a claim beyond the payout amount.
Old 01-04-16, 11:11 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by aflygurl
Attachment 377229I was rear ended on Dec 6. Does anyone know of a good body shop in th San Francisco Bay Peninsula ? Insurance trying to total me out. They say 18k to repair.
If there isn't significant damage & the insurance company doesn't total it out,I would take it to the insurance's recommended company of choice. They will usually guarantee the work for life & if anything isn't right, they will repair it free of charge. I went through this with Geico & my wife's Malibu. She was in an accident about 4yrs ago & the repairs were done, but after about a year, I noticed some wavering in the paint. They sent an adjuster out to look at the car & he determined that the vehicle hadn't been in any other accidents, so they replaced the bumper cover again & repainted it also
Old 01-05-16, 04:54 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

So sorry this happened. I feel your pain. I was rear-ended on 1/3, but the damage is about $2k. The carfax report will kill any hope of selling your car in the future except at well below market value. In all probability, the report will list it as frame damage. Unfortunately, you can take the loss now or later. I agree with others, go buy another.
Old 01-05-16, 05:43 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

If the insurance company considers the car totaled out, what happens to the car after? Can the OP have it torn down and sell the parts?
Old 01-05-16, 08:17 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Retroplay
If the insurance company considers the car totaled out, what happens to the car after? Can the OP have it torn down and sell the parts?
When the insurance company totals a car you sign the title over to them. They will then give you the option to buy it from them for the price they have worked out with the salvage company.
Old 01-05-16, 08:25 AM
Coleroad
Racer

I had the option on my explorer sport trac. They said they would fix it or total it. It was up to me. Total and move on its a way better option. Somebody Elise jog my memory on who it was this past year. That had the accident then problems their after. From stuff that was cracked bent rattled. He decided then to get rid of it. An impact that hard in the rear can cause plastic pieces in engine bay to have moved and croaked from the jolt. Think about how much it moved you strapped into the seat. Don't take the chance you'll have a big can of worms. Everything may be fine, but it might end up a nightmare on something your still paying for.
Old 01-05-16, 08:49 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coleroad
I had the option on my explorer sport trac. They said they would fix it or total it. It was up to me. Total and move on its a way better option. Somebody Elise jog my memory on who it was this past year. That had the accident then problems their after. From stuff that was cracked bent rattled. He decided then to get rid of it. An impact that hard in the rear can cause plastic pieces in engine bay to have moved and croaked from the jolt. Think about how much it moved you strapped into the seat. Don't take the chance you'll have a big can of worms. Everything may be fine, but it might end up a nightmare on something your still paying for.

TexLexx, I think it was. I believe that in his case it was either the front or the side that was smashed.

This is the reason I am not chancing it with the SC430 here during the winter even with winter tires. I might have control, but others may not. Just about any body work or repairs on this car is outrageously expensive.

The OP might want to check that option about buying the salvage title if they have the ability (and time) to store and part out the car. The components are worth a lot of money. A salvage yard could probably make 10 grand or more on the parts especially with those low miles.
Old 01-05-16, 08:52 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Maybe a picture from a little further away? From the original picture, it looks like really only the bumper was torn off and some minor damage to the driver's side rear fender. Is it worse than that?
Old 01-05-16, 09:10 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 913 Likes on 733 Posts

Cole may have been referring to Lexbrett. He drove his car into water and destroyed the engine...after that it was one problem after another. The insurance replaced the engine from a salvage yard.

The OP said the estimate was $18k to fix, but I am not sure that is the amount they would pay for the car.
Old 01-05-16, 11:17 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Yes it was lexbrett, thanks retro, and Bgw. Here is that thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...t-leaving.html
Old 01-05-16, 01:01 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Sorry, Texlexx.

Quick Reply: Help ! I was rear ended 2003 SC 430