SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Weapon R Intake - Anybody here think its worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-15, 06:54 PM
SC430fun
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Weapon R Intake - Anybody here think its worth it?

Amazon.com: Weapon-R 305-137-101 Secret Weapon Air Intake Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Weapon-R 305-137-101 Secret Weapon Air Intake Kit: Automotive

This kit is supposed to fit 2002-2004 per the manufacturer's website. Are the intakes different from 2005 and up?

I have a 2006 and wanted it to be a CAI if possible. I like the Injen intakes, but don't want to suck up hot air into it.
Old 07-19-15, 09:50 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

As per a previous conversation on another thread, I believe the Weapon R Secret Weapon with Ram Air kit is worth the money and should fit the later years also. I do not have stats on true hp gains but the sound alone is worth it to me. If you get the ram air kit and keep the OEM air scoop you will be able to channel more cold air to the breather element. You can always call Weapon R or purchase from a vendor that allows returns in case for some odd reason it doesn't fit. But in my opinion it will fit.
Old 08-03-15, 01:13 AM
SC430fun
Pit Crew

That was exactly what I had in mind - to get an intake, delete the air box, and somehow hook up the OEM hood scoop. I can imagine it would sound REALLY good, and probably would be the louder of the available intake kits out there.

I am very curious as to how large the filter is with this kit. Its easy to find on Amazon and not badly priced. Its a little more than the other kits, but there is more hardware with this Weapon R kit. I know you cant tell the size of the filter from the picture, but I was estimating at 7" or 8" approximately.

Years ago I did some experimenting with my Tbird and added a KN filter kit but touched nothing else - it deleted the air box and sucked in hot air. No difference in power. I tried the original setup again with the air box and got better results when I removed the air silence which was a second box the air has to go through to make it to the filter. Eventually I figured out to cut the bottom air silencer box up and utilize the inside 3" plastic pipe (90 degree) and installed my original KN filter on the pipe which put it in the passenger fender down low enough to catch air, but not too low. After hollowing out the stock air box up top (no filter) and sealing it to the bottom tube (that used to be air silencer box), it turned into a CAI instantly (ram air style) with the way it caught fresh cold air. That made a VERY noticeable difference with the power all through the power band, and I originally had the 3.8 non-supercharged motor in it (140hp/230lb torque and they all munched through head gaskets) @ 4k lbs, which made the car a slug before I addressed the power output issues - stock 0-60 was about 11.5 seconds give or take.

I know its a different car, but I can completely envision that this Weapon R kit will provide equivalent results, especially with an exhaust system, and even more so with a Sprint power programmer. All of them I plan to do with the car, most likely in that same order.

I looked at many different SC430's across pretty much all the model years available, and the motor looked the same under the hood of all of them from what I remember.

I will check the part numbers for the stock air filter, mass air sensor (if it has one) and other related intake parts from 2002, 2006 (mine) and newer. If they are the same parts, then it should confirm that its all the same dimensions. Most of the time I spent under the hood was inspecting to make sure the engines were good on the cars I was interested in. I did not get to retain much else from all of that, but will have the chance to soon enough.
Old 08-03-15, 08:22 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I love my Cold Air Intake.
Weapon R should work fine IMHO.
Just make sure to get a water shield to prevent water getting in engine.
Also, you will want to insulate the intake to reduce temps.
Lower temps=more HP
Here is a pic of my set up, fee free to ask questions
Old 08-03-15, 09:03 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I created similar air box and ran the extension tube to the front bumper.

I don't think alone it does a lot......I decided to install the PPE headers, Megan downpipe, Magnaflow cats, and Magnaflow exhaust in order to complete the system. One piece of the puzzle can only do so much.

Old 08-03-15, 03:17 PM
SC430fun
Pit Crew

I also noticed air ducts feeding the brakes as well.. and the rotor dust shields are extra large on this car which help keep the cooler air on the rotors, along with a bit less dust off the wheels.. The more I learn about this car, the more I am impressed with the level of refinement.

The CAI alone I think would be more for the awesome sound it provides.. without any other mods I cant see it adding more than 5-7hp on this car, and probably a little better mpg in optimal conditions.

I thought about adding a universal HKS CAI bypass valve to protect the motor, in case I suck up any water, although I should have less of a problem with that if I end up using the OEM scoop.

I am doing mine with a Magnaflow exhaust system, and possibly a custom down pipe.. Or I may go custom with Magnaflow mufflers, x pipe, resonator and third cat delete, which may end up being a lot louder though. I am very interested in adding an x pipe if possible.

I looked at different pics of the engines from 02-10 and found no difference in appearance, so I guess the next step is checking with Toyota. Thank you for the responses/pics guys!
Old 11-08-15, 02:22 AM
SC430fun
Pit Crew

Are the throttle bodies all the same size on 02-10 SC430's?

I got the Weapon R intake and when installing, the coupler to attach the intake pipe to the throttle body seemed way too tight. The kit was listed for up to an 04, and I have an 06 which means I have to plug one of the nipples on the pipe. I also need to pick up some different hose, and some simple squeeze clamps and will be trying again in the morning.
Old 11-08-15, 04:28 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 913 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by SC430fun
I also noticed air ducts feeding the brakes as well.. and the rotor dust shields are extra large on this car which help keep the cooler air on the rotors, along with a bit less dust off the wheels.. The more I learn about this car, the more I am impressed with the level of refinement.

The CAI alone I think would be more for the awesome sound it provides.. without any other mods I cant see it adding more than 5-7hp on this car, and probably a little better mpg in optimal conditions.

I thought about adding a universal HKS CAI bypass valve to protect the motor, in case I suck up any water, although I should have less of a problem with that if I end up using the OEM scoop.

I am doing mine with a Magnaflow exhaust system, and possibly a custom down pipe.. Or I may go custom with Magnaflow mufflers, x pipe, resonator and third cat delete, which may end up being a lot louder though. I am very interested in adding an x pipe if possible.

I looked at different pics of the engines from 02-10 and found no difference in appearance, so I guess the next step is checking with Toyota. Thank you for the responses/pics guys!
if you are going to purchase the magnaflow, did you contact the guy on ebay? I offered him $580 and he countered with $640, but I did not follow through with the purchase. ShawnOK showed me his exhaust mod and I copied it. It involved removing the third car and both resonators...the car sounds really nice.

Here is the link to my exhaust mod...it includes pictures and a YouTube video of the before and after

Also, since I did this mod, the exhaust does not smell like rotten eggs nearly as much, when I get on it, with the top down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Performance-Exhaust-Kit-Cat-Back-02-08-Lexus-SC430-4-3L-69171-/401020521965?vxp=mtr

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-15-15 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-14-15, 08:00 PM
SC430fun
Pit Crew

Finished my Weapon R install last weekend, and just did my exhaust today!

I ended up with a custom system, by removing the third cat, resonators, and running x pipe in place, and dual pipes to the back, each to a magnaflow muffler with tips that are tasteful; not too big. It sounds really good, very deep at low rpm's. It quiets down mid range, which is when my intake sound kicks in, and then the exhaust comes back at higher rpms again. Very similar to my Tbird that had a similar setup years ago, but its not quite as loud.

I was originally going to install a glass pack muffler instead of x pipe, but I did not want extra restrictions. Now I am wishing I did, because I lost some ooomph down low now when driving, which tells me I do not have enough back pressure. The power comes back higher in the rpm range, but I have to take my car back soon to have it adjusted. Maybe I will have them crimp the pipes a bit just like the stock exhaust was before the resonators. It should be something that is easily fixable. Should also add more sound to the exhaust at mid range.

I was also considering getting the Sprint throttle modifier, and getting it tuned. But I still think I am going to crimp it a bit, since I may have overdone it with the design of the exhaust
Old 11-14-15, 08:05 PM
SC430fun
Pit Crew

The Weapon R kit is cool, but the instructions blow..

Furthermore, its not a true cold air kit unless you build a heat shield. Even if you use the ram air hose (which I still have yet to hook up), it still sucks in hot air around the sides of the filter. The ram air hose only feeds the very end of the filter. I am going to modify that next weekend. but picking up a K&N universal cone filter and building an air box, and then running the ram air hose from the stock scoop if I have the room. or from lower.

Should I be getting a 4" filter, or is that overkill? This Weapon R filter just does not look very big for a V8 engine (what I would expect to see attached to a Honda), and is certainly smaller than the Injen filter.
Old 11-14-15, 08:14 PM
SC430fun
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bgw70
if you are going to purchase the magnaflow, did you contact the guy on ebay? I offered him $580 and he countered with $640, but I did not follow through with the purchase. ShawnOK showed me his exhaust mod and I copied it. It involved removing the third car and both resonators...the car sounds really nice.

Here is the link to my exhaust mod...it includes pictures and a YouTube video of the before and after

Also, since I did this mod, the exhaust does not smell like rotten eggs nearly as bad when I get on it with the top down.

Stainless Performance Exhaust Kit Cat Back 02 08 Lexus SC430 4 3L 69171 | eBay
I just noticed in your post , where you mentioned the rich (rotten egg smell), and mine seems to have tapered off as well. Mine smelled when I got on it hard... I got on my SC hard on the way home from the shop, and no more smell. I was about to pick up some o2 sensors actually, so I will have to look into that some more.

Also I just checked my car, and the check engine light is back on. Went away again after unhooking the battery and resetting the computer. I never did install the bracket on my intake so the wiggling around prolly is not doing very good for the MAF.. gotta fix that right away!
Old 11-15-15, 02:54 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 913 Likes on 733 Posts

Before you reset the codes, take it to Autozone etc. and have them read the codes. You the cel showed up right after the weapon R install.

I hope you can make a video, I really want to hear the sound...it will help me decide if I want to purchase the magnaflow. I did read your observations on performance.

Did you purchase the exhaust from the eBay guy, if so did he reduce his asking price?

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-15-15 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-16-15, 01:56 AM
SC430fun
Pit Crew

It may be the loudest SC I have heard so far.. I have definitely over done it and will need to make a few small adjustments next weekend so I retain a little back pressure and my low end torque along with it

I need to make a better video, because the sound got muffled, but you can still at least get an idea of the exhaust tone its giving. Its very loud and deep!

Would it have sounded even more gnarly with a glass pack in there in place of the x pipe?

Ill get some pics uploaded tomorrow!