SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Car was broken into last night

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-03, 09:05 AM
Bobs SC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Car was broken into last night

Someone broke into my car last night without the alarm going off. They were able to break off half my handle and unscrew the keyhole and get in to steal NOTHING... Except my registration and insurance card. I am so pissed.. Anyone else have there car stolen or broken into?
Old 03-26-03, 09:40 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Deterrent

I like the idea that it doesn't harm the paint.

:::::::::::::::::::::
CNN.COM News item
Crime-obsessed South Africans have a powerful new weapon with which to stop likely criminals: the car flamethrower. Casting a man-high fireball, reportedly with no damage to the paint, the Blaster has been placed on 25 South African vehicles since its introduction last month.

The Blaster squirts liquefied gas from a bottle in the automobile's trunk through two nozzles, located under the front doors. The gas is then ignited by an electric spark, with fiery consequences.

Blaster inventor Charl Fourie, 33, disputed concerns that the flamethrower could burn someone to death."My personal feeling is that it would definitely blind a person. He will never see again," he said

The first buyer, Police Superintendent David Walkley of Johannesburg's crime intelligence unit, is satisfied the Blaster is legal, provided it is used correctly.
::::::::::::::::::
Go here
http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11/flame.thrower.car/
to read the full article and to see a movie of it in action.
Old 03-26-03, 10:44 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Car was broken into last night

Originally posted by Bobs SC
Someone broke into my car last night without the alarm going off. They were able to break off half my handle and unscrew the keyhole and get in to steal NOTHING... Except my registration and insurance card. I am so pissed.. Anyone else have there car stolen or broken into?
Not to alarm you....well maybe. They stole both of those with the idea of obtaining a key and returning later to steal you car. Or maybe they just broke in and found nothing good inside. Anyways, if i were you I would be very cautious. I had this happen to a friend, he changed the locks and ignition at a pretty high cost. So be alert and be careful.
Old 03-26-03, 10:51 AM
Bobs SC
Driver

How will having the registration card and insurance card help them steal my car? The car is leased it doesnt have my personal info on it.
Old 03-26-03, 11:38 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default car alarm????

Do you know if the car alarm went off??? If not, why not??? Where was it parked and at what time of day/night? Just curious. I would think the alarm would've sounded immediately and the bad guys would go running.
Old 03-26-03, 11:40 AM
Bobs SC
Driver

This happened in the middle of the night... Thats the thing the alarm didnt go off. They were able to unlock the door somehow with the tools they used to break in which I guess had the alarm not go off.
Old 03-26-03, 11:45 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default strange..

I would make sure you report it to the police anyway...

Who knows what someone is planning on doing with your insurance card and registration?!??

...hopefully not Identity theft or breaking into your home to steal more!!!
Old 03-26-03, 12:08 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My SC430 was stolen in April of last year. The crooks got in 1,2,3 and drove off.

$10,000 latyer I got it back. I have no clue how they managed to break in and get away. All they did was pop the lock on the drivers door. No physical damage, just removed all the high end electrical stuff.

In South Africa, they also have something called the "flipper". If you are in the process of bering car jacked, you press a button and two steel 36" flat rods pop out from under the car hitting the ankles of the perp.

The force is so great it can easily break the shin bones of a 250 pound man. Being the vindictive Sicilian I am....I LOVE IT !!!

CeBoyd...Still promise !!
Old 03-26-03, 12:13 PM
Bobs SC
Driver

10000 dollars later or 10000 miles later? How long did it take you to get your car back?
Old 03-26-03, 12:56 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default LOL

I'm pretty sure it was $10K later......

...putting on 10K miles on a stolen car would be interesting!!! LOL
Old 03-26-03, 04:32 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Well I am just alerting you. Remember they have your VIN number now and who knows, who they know. I would definitely call your local police station as well as call Lexus and see what they have to say. they may be able to obtain the fitment for your key thorugh the use of your info and VIN number.

As for the locks, if they know what they are doing they just pop it out. My friend who used to work at an aftermarket shop said he could steal any car in 30 sec, regardless of the alarm, chip or whatever. If people know what they are doing it is no problem at all. I dont know about Lexus, but BMW locks are made to break if tampered with, this stops the "common" thief from getting in your car, but an experienced one will not be detered by anything.

As for Larry, I could see him sitting inside a coffee shop with a remote control waiting for someone to tamper with his car and ensuring they are a foot shorter after doing so.
Old 03-26-03, 05:28 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dollars.......I think I put a $ sign ? If not, sorry. The car was recovered in 12 hours. It took a month to have it fully repaired by Lexus.

You got me pegged Lex. I'd also add the flame thrower to roast them a bit since they wouldnn't be able to run very well. I'm not a violent person by nature, but 12 months in the jungle taught me how to deal with the "enemy". And........as far as I'm concerned, anyone that thinks they have the right to take what I've worked for and earned is......the enemy.

I'm sure I'll get slammed for this by some of you........but that's my opinion and I'm sure you have yours
Old 03-26-03, 07:18 PM
Bobs SC
Driver

Did you put a different alarm system on your car cause the one lexus makes seems to suck
Old 03-27-03, 03:24 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Give 'em hell. Larry ....
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-03, 07:02 AM
MedDawg
Driver School Candidate

Some cat walked across my hood last night.

Ok, it's not nearly as bad as getting broken into, but it still peeves me off! I just washed the car yesterday!

I also got my Zaino products in, and plan on doing the Dawn wash, clay bar, Z2/ZFX, Z5/ZFX thing this weekend. If I do, and that bleepin' cat walks across my hood again.....

Quick Reply: Car was broken into last night