SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Finally my tpms went out after 9.5 years

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-11, 12:02 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Finally my tpms went out after 9.5 years

Yesterday in the cold morning my tire pressure light came on the dash. All 4 tires were good on pressure. So I figured one or more of the original tpms went out.

So far there is no warning sound. Will it start to sound soon? Then I have to disconnect the system. I am amazed that the original sensors lasted over 9.5 years from early 2002. Car has 58k miles now.
Old 11-14-11, 06:21 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I've replaced one on my 2004 (64K) and more recently, my tpms dash warning symbol has been
lighted for the past two months -- I'll replace that one next oil change.
Old 11-14-11, 08:32 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My SC02 tpms light just came on too. Cold weather must set them off. Where's the best place to purchase/replace and cost? If anyone knows.... My 03 is still good so far.

Lar
Old 11-14-11, 08:47 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a sensor die on my '02 in late summer. Even the Sewell price means about $300 for 4 OEM sensors, so, being a cheapskate at heart, I bought the Orange Systems aftermarket TPMS which comes with 4 sensors and a display for a little over $100 (Amazon). Disabled the Lexus warning light/chime and installed the display by the parking brake release, and then had the new sensors installed with new tires a few weeks ago.

So far, love it. I like the ability to see the tire pressure/temp at each wheel. And when one of those sensors runs out of juice, the repacement cost is far, far more reasonable than Lexus/Toyota.

Kelly
Old 11-14-11, 09:52 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

That's certainly interesting.. I'll be checking that out as well as Sewell's price etc.
Thanks for the info..

lar
Old 11-14-11, 05:43 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kjcole
I had a sensor die on my '02 in late summer. Even the Sewell price means about $300 for 4 OEM sensors, so, being a cheapskate at heart, I bought the Orange Systems aftermarket TPMS which comes with 4 sensors and a display for a little over $100 (Amazon). Disabled the Lexus warning light/chime and installed the display by the parking brake release, and then had the new sensors installed with new tires a few weeks ago.

So far, love it. I like the ability to see the tire pressure/temp at each wheel. And when one of those sensors runs out of juice, the repacement cost is far, far more reasonable than Lexus/Toyota.

Kelly

I saw mixed reviews on these sensors on amazon. Please report back more. I'm tempted.
Old 11-14-11, 06:31 PM
kjcole
Lead Lap

I really can't complain. The sensors agree with a couple of different tire gauges that I have. They communicate with the receiver well (sync up within 15 secs or so of turning the key) and I have never lost communication - no errors etc. Perhaps because I hard-wired the power rather than using the power outlet adapter. Also, the power cord contains the antenna and since I wired mine into the fuse panel at the driver's kick panel, the antenna is stretched out pretty good.

Well worth the money and time.
Old 11-14-11, 09:30 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Sounds good. How do you hard wire it? The car's power sockets aren't very conveniently located.
Old 11-15-11, 06:05 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

I posted a quick description on this forum. Basically I soldered the power wires to one leg of the fuse for the power outlet located at the driver's side kick panel. There are metal brackets with screws nearby for chassis ground. However, the Orange manual mislabels the ground. The smaller single wire molded to the power wires is the antenna. The woven shield around the power wires is the ground. I ran the wires up towards the dashboard and out the opening for the parking brake release handle. Mounted the display on the parking brake release handle.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...elec-tpms.html

Last edited by kjcole; 11-15-11 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-15-11, 04:59 PM
jfz219
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Orange electronics offers programmable sensors. With their T30 tool, your OEM sensors can be analyzed for errors. If faulty, the OEM ID can be copied to the replacement sensor.

I will be using the technique to clone the TPMS ID codes of my snow tire/wheels.
Old 11-16-11, 06:23 PM
dbcolli
Rookie

Worth a try, my tpms light came on about a month ago. All tires had correct tire pressure. I figured being the car is 2002 with 101lk miles will have to replace one of the sensors. What I did was on a nothing to lose basis was to lower the air pressure on each tire until the major alarm would come on. then raise .he pressure to normal and the yelow alarm would be back on.. I did this for each tire and the third tire the yellow alarm went out !. This happend about two months ago and the yellow alarm is still out.
Old 11-16-11, 06:29 PM
DubbStep
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kjcole
I posted a quick description on this forum. Basically I soldered the power wires to one leg of the fuse for the power outlet located at the driver's side kick panel. There are metal brackets with screws nearby for chassis ground. However, the Orange manual mislabels the ground. The smaller single wire molded to the power wires is the antenna. The woven shield around the power wires is the ground. I ran the wires up towards the dashboard and out the opening for the parking brake release handle. Mounted the display on the parking brake release handle.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...elec-tpms.html
Nice write up, I too will be looking into these...