SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Seat Sensor Warning 2004 SC430

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-15, 02:20 PM
Rentzer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Sensor Warning 2004 SC430

This question may be too general for an answer but here goes, anyway.
I bought my 2004 SC 430 used in 2005.
The seat belt "reminder" buzzer or ding was silent and I have left it that way.
Now that I am a member of this forum (just joined mid February) and after having so many questions answered solving problems I have been living with (like a steering wheel squeal when it retracts to let me out of the car, and a knocking above and behind the back seat, which turned out to be the shell that goes over the top when it is down, and lots of other solutions to things I did not want to go to the dealer about) I decided it is time to see if I can reconnect the seat belt warning. So, might that be a fuse?,Or maybe some wire under the dash that has been unplugged?
Or...???
Naturally if it is a cut wire I would not expect anyone to have a guess where that might be.

Bob
Old 04-07-15, 03:08 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that is one of many that needs to be set by the dealer. It may be one of the "personalized setting" that only them can access to modify. Mine is off as well and I had them turned off the daytime running lights as well.
Old 04-07-15, 07:58 PM
Rentzer
Rookie

Thanks.
I will check with the dealer.
I did not think that was something a dealer could do as I thought it was mandatory by state law.
Bob
Old 04-07-15, 09:49 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

It is federal law to have warnings regarding seat belt fastening. Every car do have both visual and sound. The sound does not stay on for more than about 20 seconds or so but the warning light stays on until you buckled up. Therefore it may not be illegal to NOT have the warning chime as long as the warning lights still operational. Just my opinion.....
Old 04-08-15, 01:30 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

These are all ECU settings and can be modified by the owner if you have the TechStream software and the correct interface cable.
I do not recommend you go this route unless you are willing to spend many hours trying to figure out the correct cable to purchase.

I have a cable and the software that will reading all of the ECUs in my SC but have not been able to get it to change any of the settings. I suspect it is due to the cable I am using. Many cables sold online are not capable of all functions.

I have been trying to get both doors to unlock when I place the shifter in park.

I have been able to perform tests on many of the ECU functions, for example, I can lock and unlock the doors with the TechStream software.

Last edited by Bgw70; 04-08-15 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-08-15, 04:58 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Got this from another forum... might be of some help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2002 SC430 LPS settings.pdf (477.1 KB, 117 views)
Old 04-08-15, 06:33 AM
Rentzer
Rookie

Thanks to all who responded.
I don't have the equipment to do this myself so I will go to the dealer to see if they can set the system.
I mentioned not having the buzz but I also don't have the warning light either.
Guess the prior owner had both disconnected.
Bob
Old 04-08-15, 09:26 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

If you didn't have both lights and chimes maybe they were disconnected from the plugs. You might check under the seats to trace to the plug to find out whether they are connected or else. It's not hard to do and it won't cost you anything. The last time I had my settings modified by the dealer, I was charged $125 for it.
Old 04-08-15, 07:13 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

There is a "dance" you can do to have the seat belts not chime. You know, one of those "open car door three times, turn key twice, ...." There was a thread on it in the forum and I did it and it worked great, so my seat belt chime is disabled.

Before going to a lot of effort/expense at the dealer, I'd try disconnecting the battery and see whether that restores it to the default.

I think those that have said the seat belt chime is not a CBEST setting are correct.
Old 04-09-15, 08:16 AM
Rentzer
Rookie

Disconnecting the battery isn't the answer because I had put in a new battery a few weeks ago and I still have no sound or seat belt light.
Also, the plugs under the seat aren't the answer either because I have had no sound or light since I got the car 9 years ago and replaced the seat about a year ago but I still have no sound or light.
I am convinced the original owner did something to disable the light and sound, maybe by doing the open and close door/shut off and turn on key routine. Too bad there isn't a reverse routine to restore the functions. I may try the dealer and see if I can get it done without any charge because it was off when I purchased the car from them... although after 9 years and the dealership having changed hands, I suspect they will want to charge me something.
Bob
Old 04-09-15, 12:15 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Depending on who replaced your battery, power may not have been disconnected in the process. Some shops connect an external 12 V supply to the power lines to keep from losing memory settings during the process and then disconnect the device after the battery is installed. If you didn't lose seat settings and radio stations (plus other stuff) during the battery replacement, then your car likely didn't lose power during the operation.
Old 04-09-15, 04:50 PM
Rentzer
Rookie

Harold:
You are correct about the fact that when my battery was replaced the power was not lost.
Also, I never paid attention to my seat belt warning lights but now that I am focused on this issue I see that they are both working (driver and passenger). I feel sort of stupid for saying they were not working, but for sure the buzzer isn't working. I may disconnect the battery over the weekend and leave it off for about ten minutes. That should work a reset.
In the meantime I called the service mgr at my dealership but, as usual, I haven't gotten a call back. Anyway, I am certainly not going to spend money to have the buzzer reset. Especially since I never heard it and once activated it could turn out to be an annoyance like so many other SC430 owners found it to be. Then I would end up posting a question asking how to shut it off, and feeling even more stupid!
Bob