SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430driver seat will not recline back enough

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-02, 03:18 PM
ginsusc430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy SC430driver seat will not recline back enough

Just joined the clublexus and I reading about all Hints and Help you guys are offering each other.. Thanks..

I have a question as to the sc430 reclining position.. my Sc430 will not recline far back as I would like for my normal driving position.. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me.. or my car. My GS300 reclines far back as I want. Any input greatly appreicated.
Old 01-24-02, 10:01 PM
Chronic Systems
Rookie

Same here, I hate it! You have to make best with what you got! This is what I do; recline the back as far back as it can go, lower the seat as low as it can go, tilt front of the seat up as far as it can go and finally lift the back seat lever up and lean back on the seat. This is the most you are going to get, I have no idea why they didn't allow the seat to recline more. There is room for it to recline, it might be a safety issue.
Old 01-25-02, 05:56 AM
stevelaw
Driver

Wink

They limit the recline angle so you will not crowd the person in the seat behind you !!!
Old 01-25-02, 08:35 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: SC430driver seat will not recline back enough

Originally posted by GINSUSC430:

"I have a question as to the SC430 reclining position.. my SC430 will not recline far back as I would like for my normal driving position.. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me.. or my car. My GS300 reclines far back as I want. Any input greatly appreicated."

Hey there GINSUSC430 - (Are you REALLY the Heir Apparent of the World Famous "GINSUS STEAK KNIVES" Family from Tokyo?) I've found that when I put my Mother-In-Law in the Rear Seat directly behind my Driver's Seat, and move my Driver's Seat all the way to the Rear, all the way down, and tilted all the way back, she tends to fuss some about having the Driver's Seat Blocking her vision, and making her feel very much Clausterphobic, or something! With the top down, it's hard to really hear what she's trying to tell me, but it's sure sounds like the circulation has been cut off again about her ankle level, and her feet color are starting to match those pretty little Blue Suade High- Heel Swing Pumps that she likes to sometimes wear on trips.

Geeeeez - With all that Fresh Crisp Air to enjoy back there, you'd think she'd appear more grateful than that!

What will she crab about this summer when the tempratures climb back up out of the 30's? She shouldn't expect "Treats" like this All the time!

Too bad I never learned to read lips. When I catch a quick glance at her in the Rear View Mirror, it looks kind of like she's trying to say "FORGET ABOUT THE ESTATE PLAN, COMPOST BRAIN!"

"MR Obvious", what could I be missing here?

"Clueless In Fishers!"

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 01-25-02 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-25-02, 08:40 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LMAO....I can see the headline now "Man Kills Mother-in-Law With seat of Lexus SC430"

You should really seek medical attention. Nobody just comes up with that spontaneously.....its obvious youve been conspiring such an event.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-02, 08:56 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Originally posted by LexusSC430
"I can see the headline now "Man Kills Mother-in-Law With seat of Lexus SC430"

You should really seek medical attention. Nobody just comes up with that spontaneously.....its obvious youve been conspiring such an event.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!"

LSC - Actually, I've just recently cut my "Medication" in Half!

Well, actually, what I 've done, in preparation for St. Patrick's Day coming up this next Month or two, is to change my "Prescription" to "Half & Half". Previously, my normal "Medication" at BENIGANS has always been a Pint or two a day of "Black & Tan's" (Guiness Stout over Bass Ale), but now I have gone to just ordering "Half & Half's" (Guiness Stout over Harps), in an effort to cut back a little, and show my support for an amicable resolution to the English / Irish squabbles over seas.

It's always a pleasure to close the evening up with such an International "Patriotic Spirit", when at "Closing Time", the Younger Ones are looking Older, and the Older Ones are looking Younger!

That's the same time that the lasses seem to make their final decisions to go for "Mr. Right", "Mr. Close Enough" or maybe................. (heh-heh)
"Mr. RIGHT NOW!

I say..............."HURRY SUNDOWN!"

Old 02-27-02, 04:31 PM
ginsusc430
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: SC430driver seat will not recline back enough

Hey there GINSUSC430 - (Are you REALLY the Heir Apparent of the World Famous "GINSUS STEAK KNIVES" Family from Tokyo?) I've found that when I put my Mother-In-Law in the Rear Seat directly behind my Driver's Seat, and move my Driver's Seat all the way to the Rear, all the way down, and tilted all the way back, she tends to fuss some about having the Driver's Seat Blocking her vision, and making her feel very much Clausterphobic, or something!

Sharp as a Ginsu baby..!!

Sorry, but none of us bought the sc430 because we'll going to haul 3 or 4th passenger in the back of the SC so Why Limit the angle so much even for passenger side?
Old 02-27-02, 05:20 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: Re: SC430driver seat will not recline back enough

Originally posted by solo - 1:

("Hey there GINSUSC430 - (Are you REALLY the Heir Apparent of the World Famous "GINSUS STEAK KNIVES" Family from Tokyo?) I've found that when I put my Mother-In-Law in the Rear Seat directly behind my Driver's Seat, and move my Driver's Seat all the way to the Rear, all the way down, and tilted all the way back, she tends to fuss some about having the Driver's Seat Blocking her vision, and making her feel very much Clausterphobic, or something!")

REPLY POSTED BY GINSUSC430:

"Sharp as a Ginsu baby..!!

Sorry, but none of us bought the SC430 because we're going to haul 3 or 4 passengers in the back of the SC, so why Limit the angle so much, even for the passenger side?"

GINSU - You remain on the "cutting edge", dude!

Not hauling 3 or 4 passengers in the rear seat had never occured to me, nor the Mother-In-Law, when she bought and paid for it. Far from me to question her judgement, at the time.

I'll try and do better in the future!

Old 02-28-02, 09:43 AM
ginsusc430
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Solo-1

I mean no ill will towards your mother in law but the rear seats are only for golf clubs... you've great in-law to buy such a car for you.
Old 02-28-02, 07:26 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Originally posted by ginsusc430:
"Solo-1 - I mean no ill will towards your mother in law but the rear seats are only for golf clubs. You've great in-law to buy such a car for you."

GINSU - What can I say dude, I'm a kept Man.....................

......:eek:
Old 03-12-06, 02:01 PM
JillBS
Driver School Candidate

Default SC430 seat recline

WJ Solo... I'm a rookie to this club lexus. I just read through this string of conversation. You crack me up! I strongly suspect you have some natural talent in making people laugh. lol Perhaps you should consider that professionally?
Old 11-15-08, 02:33 AM
mayonnaise
Driver School Candidate

I was wondering the same thing since my LS400 was able to recline so far back that it was like a bed.

As I was pondering this, I can't imagine the designers would overlook this detail, so I theorized that they did that in case the car gets into an accident where the car flips over. Perhaps the top could collapse, then those metal beams in your seat will hit the ground first so you don't crush your skull?

What do you guys think about this theory I came up with? Makes sense to me!
Old 11-15-08, 09:31 AM
carbuff
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought my SC because the salesman told me it was mother-in-law proof. It is. Hoorah!

My sedan had a sign attached to the rear of the passenger seat just for my mother-in-law. Printed was, sit up, strap up and shut up!

Don't need the sign in my SC.
Old 03-25-09, 02:25 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ginsusc430
Hey there GINSUSC430 - (Are you REALLY the Heir Apparent of the World Famous "GINSUS STEAK KNIVES" Family from Tokyo?) I've found that when I put my Mother-In-Law in the Rear Seat directly behind my Driver's Seat, and move my Driver's Seat all the way to the Rear, all the way down, and tilted all the way back, she tends to fuss some about having the Driver's Seat Blocking her vision, and making her feel very much Clausterphobic, or something!

Sharp as a Ginsu baby..!!

Sorry, but none of us bought the sc430 because we'll going to haul 3 or 4th passenger in the back of the SC so Why Limit the angle so much even for passenger side?
I totally agree, perhaps a dog, but never a person. If you want to carry people, get the 2010 IS convertible. SC's are a two persons car, the back seat is for a small leather overnight bag or a purchase from an upscale department store !!
Old 03-25-09, 05:26 PM
CBG
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never had a problem with not being able to recline back enough. It must just be a personal preferance as to how and where you like the seat while driving.
Back seat is NOT for people, maybe a dog or two to the vets once a year but it is mainly for "stuff" from different store purchases and storage LOL. Well in my car anyways that is the law.

Quick Reply: SC430driver seat will not recline back enough