SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

X-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-15, 07:15 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default X-pipe

Lately I have been researching x-pipes. But There doesn't seem to be a lot of reliable and/or scientific information out there on the benefits if x-pipes. Silverbullet runs an x-pipe and after hearing his car I'm so tempted to get one for my sc.

What is everyone's opinion in regard to x-pipes? Are there good sources of information I may have over looked? What are the HP gains of x-pipes?

Comments/question/criticisms welcomed!!!
Old 04-08-15, 08:25 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remember my X-pipe doesn't effect the sound too much; it is before the resonators and mufflers. I also have resonating tips. There are a lot of books and articles about crossover pipes, X-pipes, H-Pipes, different designs tombalance the exhaust so the two sides of a V8 don't compete with each other to grt the gasses out with minimal back preassure. Check out the racing exhaust manufactures like Dr. Gas ... They have their explaination. I didn't do dyno testing only the X-pipe alone rather the before and after for entire exhaust system; OEM vs Custom. If you want my sound you will need the same resonators, mufflers, and tips ... Try a resonator delete and see if you like it. Not much money to test that.

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Lately I have been researching x-pipes. But There doesn't seem to be a lot of reliable and/or scientific information out there on the benefits if x-pipes. Silverbullet runs an x-pipe and after hearing his car I'm so tempted to get one for my sc.

What is everyone's opinion in regard to x-pipes? Are there good sources of information I may have over looked? What are the HP gains of x-pipes?

Comments/question/criticisms welcomed!!!
Old 04-08-15, 08:35 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the explanation. Seems like x-pipes produce more power but it's not possible to predict. Are you saying I should delete my reasonators for more sound?
Old 04-08-15, 11:23 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I was thinking of getting an X pipe installed as well. The guy at the muffler shop told me that an X pipe would be better for top end and H pipe would be better for low end. He also said the H pipe would sound more like a muscle car
Old 04-09-15, 04:15 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Yes I have heard that as well- h pipe better for low end and x pipe for high end. But the only person actually running an x pipe, as far as I know, is SilverBullet. I find many opinions of mechanics questionable, since many don't have direct experience wit our cars. The only solid evidence I have to make a decision is the x-pipe that SilverBullet is running from Dr.gas..
Old 04-09-15, 01:06 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Yes I have heard that as well- h pipe better for low end and x pipe for high end. But the only person actually running an x pipe, as far as I know, is SilverBullet. I find many opinions of mechanics questionable, since many don't have direct experience wit our cars. The only solid evidence I have to make a decision is the x-pipe that SilverBullet is running from Dr.gas..
Bacardi also has the Dr. gas X-pipe. Read the design sheets, not all X-pipes are equal - all depends on the interior airflow and how they get the exhaust to efficiently crossover to the other side in a balance and sync'ed fashion.
Old 04-09-15, 01:09 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mademedoit
Lots of good info on the motoiq site... this would be our ideal set up if only they offered it for the sc.... http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...s-Exhaust.aspx

the Slv Bullet setup
Attached Thumbnails X-pipe-image.jpg  
Old 04-09-15, 05:51 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Greg x-pipe looks really nice. I just wish I knew what kind of power gains to expect. Guess that's just part of the process of car modding, ie, don't really know what you are buying until it's installed.