SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 Lexus SC430 power steering noise youtube video need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 05:19 PM
j.k.livin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Lexus SC430 power steering noise youtube video need help

My wifes' Lexus just started making this noise when turning the wheels. It makes the most noise when turning right. Yes the fluid is full, I siphoned the reservoir 4 times and replaced fluid. From what I have read I need to do it at least 10x's and the fluid would be 90% new. I jacked the car up and there is a piston (like a shock) that moves in and out when turning the wheel. Thats where the noise is coming from. I sprayed a silicon lube on the piston, and that did not do much. It has 96,564 miles on it. This forum has been awesome.

I fixed (disabled) TMPS light on the dash, got the nav door back on track, bought new michelin pilot sport a/s non run flats, and did the foam speaker fix thanks to all of you!

I don't have any idea what else to do to troubleshoot and fix this noise. The steering is not any harder or different when it starts the noise. Its just annoying in parking lots. A lexus that sounds like a hoopty-wagon is "embarrassing" my wife says.

Urban dictionary:

hoopty-wagon

A peice of crap car done up to look like a nice car
Usually a honda etc with a spoiler,graphics,rims,tailfins,tinted windows,a loud sound system and the works commonly rode in by guidos and wiggers

Thanks for your help and comments Jer and Kell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEl6IVry6us
Old 02-08-11, 06:00 PM
scdroptop

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

How handy are you and how much is your time worth? If you don't want to mess with it anymore, I'd go to a Toyota dealer or a Valvoline Instant Oil Change (www.vioc.com) and do a simple, inexpensive power steering flush/fill and see if having a better suction and fill/flush might help if you think your 4x is not enough. I want to say theirs is about $69 or so.

The rack holds a lot, so I do believe the 10x rule.

My Infiniti had a P/S rack problem and it sounded just like that, though. Not to scare you. But...it was also leaking so at least it was diagnosable. Are you leaking?

***One other question: any chirping coming from the belts with a/c on or when the fan kicks in???****
Old 02-08-11, 06:10 PM
j.k.livin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ballain
Could there be some air in the system? kinda sounds like air in the line

I really don't think so. We bought the car in July 10' and it sounded fine. It just started doing it when it got really cold. Coincidence I doubt it. There are not many threads on this, so I did what I could. I siphoned out the fluid from the reservoir 4x's and ran out of replacement fluid. The old fluid smells way bad and is really thick and dark. From what I read here; you can put in Dexron III ATF fluid instead of power steering fluid? Is the ATF cheaper or why not just put in P/S fluid? It sounds like changing some of the fluid might have helped, but I think it might be wishful thinking.

Thanks
Old 02-08-11, 06:16 PM
j.k.livin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scdroptop
How handy are you and how much is your time worth? If you don't want to mess with it anymore, I'd go to a Toyota dealer or a Valvoline Instant Oil Change (www.vioc.com) and do a simple, inexpensive power steering flush/fill and see if having a better suction and fill/flush might help if you think your 4x is not enough. I want to say theirs is about $69 or so.

The rack holds a lot, so I do believe the 10x rule.

My Infiniti had a P/S rack problem and it sounded just like that, though. Not to scare you. But...it was also leaking so at least it was diagnosable. Are you leaking?

***One other question: any chirping coming from the belts with a/c on or when the fan kicks in???****

I put a 3" Lift on my 07 Jeep wrangler, and have nothing but time (no kids)! I might buy 6 more quarts of P/S fluid and just do the siphon 6-7 more times. No leaks and we just had the Timing belt, tensioners, waterpump, and serpentine belt repaced in September. No chirping or any weird noises or such. Really quiet just the steering noise when past 3/4's turn more noise going right (if sitting in driver seat).
Old 02-08-11, 06:36 PM
darnot10
Driver

let us know what you find out. GL with the SC.
Old 03-08-11, 07:29 PM
airmaui
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Guys,
What do you mean by "siphoning 6-7 more times" or "10x"?
How do you siphon it that many times?
Thanks.
Old 03-09-11, 06:14 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Means siphon the fluid on the reservoir 10x. I siphon and re-fill my power steering reservoir every 150 miles. I have done it 4x so far.

The original fluid was like dark brown. Now it is starting to look reddish-brown. The goal is to get this to look pinkish. BTW it takes a DEXRON III Auto Trans fluid. I have a siphon pump and it takes me 2 minutes to evacuate the fluid.

On the RX I drain-fill the power steering fluid every oil change. To this day, the fluid is pinkish.