SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Has anyone seen a Timing Belt break on SC300?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-14, 03:04 PM
Harpo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone seen a Timing Belt break on SC300?

I realize that with '98 up engines, a failure would be disastrous. But on my 97, it would basically just be an inconvenience - and I'm planning to trade the car in the next year.

So, has anyone actually seen or experienced a timing belt failure on any SC300 engine, stock or otherwise?
Old 03-30-14, 07:44 AM
Harpo
Rookie

62 views, not a single response. I'm thinking that worries about timing belts (at least on non-interference SC300 engines) are not a real issue.
Old 03-30-14, 02:12 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never seen, heard, or read about problems with the timing belt snapping out of nowhere, its rare but im sure it has happen with poor maintenance or someone beating on the car.

May want to change it anyways you dont want to be stranded one day or put the problem on whoever your trading with later down the road. It would be more appealing to some with that done when you sale or trade.
Old 03-30-14, 06:09 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any response to your question would also answer one of the most repeated question "is the 2jzge an interference" with a definite answer. Mix answers on that.

I'm sure someone has broken a timing belt while driving. I had but in my 88 Corolla, twice.
Old 03-31-14, 07:05 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a very common topic on these forums. Don't think it's much of an issue.
Old 03-31-14, 11:17 AM
SpooledSC
Driver School Candidate

9/10 times when a T-Belt breaks it isn't actually "snapping" per say. It's the teeth breaking off and it jumps timing. On the NON-VVTI engines this isn't really an issue as it is a Non-Interference engine. The VVTI's on the other hand...
Old 03-31-14, 11:32 AM
soarer93
Pole Position

When I imported my '93 Soarer in 2009 with 100k kms (60k miles)- I had the Timing belt done the following Spring along with lots else...
The mechanic brought out my old timing belt, gave it to me, I looked at it.. it seemed fine, he said ok now look.. he just tugged on it and it snapped. Just like a perforated piece of paper, we pulled again elsewhere and same thing.. so now I have 2 pieces of a timing belt in my hands..

Since then I've personally went with the notion afterwards that even though it looks ok, its old, replace it.
Old 04-04-14, 04:03 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Harpo....simple fact,rubber timing belts break,crack and the "teeth" can shear off. Mileage, age and the effects of engine fluids (mainly oil) assist in their demise. How long will yours lasts?...., any ones guess. Do you know it's age and mileage? You can easily take the top timing cover off and very carefully inspect it's condition and you may be able to still find the manufacturer info printed on the belt (by slowly rotating engine) and that may give you some info on whether it's a oem Toyota brand or aftermarket one and possibly approx age. If it's aftermarket one,then you know at some point it was changed!. You may even find a "timing belt change label "somewhere in the engine bay or in your paperwork. When selling a car most people want to know when the timing belt, along with the water pump and cam/crank seals where last changed. This info of course effects what you can get for the car when you try and sell. Good luck.