SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92 SC4, tighten belt

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-11, 08:45 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC4, tighten belt

My accessory belt is a little loose. Drives fine, but I check it when engine is off, stays on by itself when on pretty good but just a little too much slack.

So, you know you twist the tensioner pulley counterclock and the belt comes right off, will tightening it the other way make the belt tighter, or is it not even designed to work both ways? thought maybe it was built only to let the belt be taken off, maybe if i try to turn it the other way to tighten it that might just break something.

Is it possible the belt just got stretched over time? Or maybe there's just no way to fix this other than a new tensioner?

Not a big deal but might develop into something worse, a mech took a look for free and said definitely a little loose but didn't even bother to mention a repair, didn't seem to worry him too much but just agreed that it wasn't fully tightened, wut u guys think?

Also, 2 sidequests for this thread: first, what type of performance issues might be related to low fuel pressure? the manual says not to drive with less than quarter tank. i do my best to heed that warning. say for example if the fuel light has been on for 5 miles, would anyone suspect that as a cause if suddenly there was slightly less power? would putting just 2 more gallons in help or once it goes that low is it best to give her a nice big gulp?

second, i know there's probably a bunch of undercarriage mods available associated with lowering a car, but the basic concept mostly involves just slightly shorter struts right? i dunno, not as important as the belt, just curious, don't know nothin bout suspension anyways thanks!

Last edited by Gate; 09-18-11 at 08:59 PM.