SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 Radio stop working

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-01, 06:53 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SC400 Radio stop working

I changed the power mirror ECU because both mirror didn't work when I bought the car. PITA to change the ECU. The mirrors work now.
Then my radio/tape player/CD changers stopped working. After checking the fuses and the wiring and notice nothing wrong. The tape player can play now but can't eject the tape unless I turn off the engine. The radio only has one station but many frequencies got in. Can't play the CD either. All buttons are not responding.

The A/C buttons working. This wiring are connected to the same buch of wires lead to the dash. This get me to think that I did not short the radio wiring at all.

What could be the problems? How often does the Lexus receiver break? How many people has to replace their receiver?

To the guys that change the ECU before, did you have any problem with your radio?

Did I short the radio wires while I change the ECU? I don't think I did. Then again the section for radio in hte shop manual doesn't really show all the wiring for the stereo system...

Thank in advance

Last edited by VQT; 11-07-01 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-06-01, 06:54 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Anybody got problems with their stereo?
Old 11-06-01, 08:59 AM
amati5
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do and i have posted several times without one reply. My problem is not the same as yours tho. I will take my unit out (with lots of help from others showing me how to remove the console) this weekend and fix it my self. My problem is simple i guess.
Old 11-06-01, 08:30 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by amati5
I do and i have posted several times without one reply. My problem is not the same as yours tho. I will take my unit out (with lots of help from others showing me how to remove the console) this weekend and fix it my self. My problem is simple i guess.
Saw your post, didn't have time to answer at the time. Other people help were better especially the color pictures.

Recommend you buy a shop manual, I can't even figured out what's wrong with the car and I have this manual more than 6 months.
Old 11-06-01, 08:48 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have side mirror problem and I am planning to get ECU from dealer and try to change as well.
I'll let you know if I'll have same problem.
Old 11-07-01, 07:07 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Taka
I have side mirror problem and I am planning to get ECU from dealer and try to change as well.
I'll let you know if I'll have same problem.
I paid ~$196 for my mirror ECU from Carson Toyota.
Old 11-07-01, 11:24 AM
amati5
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by VQT

Saw your post, didn't have time to answer at the time. Other people help were better especially the color pictures.

Recommend you buy a shop manual, I can't even figured out what's wrong with the car and I have this manual more than 6 months.
Not a problem. That was why i kept posting. Patience is everything

What is ECU that i keep hearing. I'll consider buying a manual as my car is getting older. Where is a good place to buy one? Thx

Last edited by amati5; 11-07-01 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-07-01, 04:03 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by amati5

Not a problem. That was why i kept posting. Patience is everything

What is ECU that i keep hearing. I'll consider buying a manual as my car is getting older. Where is a good place to buy one? Thx
The mirror ECU is a computer that control the out side mirror with memory...

Call Carson Toyota 800-908-6968 ask for Gordon or Steve Ganz for your Lexus parts
Old 11-07-01, 06:26 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

one quick question, the ECU, does it anything to do with Memory seat?
my dealer told me something about side mirror ECU and memory seat are related...
so just curious if it's true..
did you have any other problem beside side mirror?
Old 11-08-01, 05:59 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

one quick question, the ECU, does it anything to do with Memory seat?
my dealer told me something about side mirror ECU and memory seat are related...
so just curious if it's true..
did you have any other problem beside side mirror?
From the shop manual, it said the memory seats, the tilt steering and the out side mirror are connected to an ECU. The ECU I replaced said right on it "mirror control" or something similar to it.

Only both mirrors did not work on my car. Everthing else works, mem. seats, tilt steering...Now everything works except the damn radio/cd player
Old 01-17-02, 07:42 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

I just finish installing new ECU for side mirror.
omg it was really PIA job, my back is hurting now. I couldn't even take out old ECU I just left it there. Hopefully it wouldnt make any problem in future.
Now my side mirror is working fine.
but I didnt get Nakamichi problem, VQT. did you find out what was problem?
Old 01-17-02, 10:52 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

I just finish installing new ECU for side mirror.
omg it was really PIA job, my back is hurting now. I couldn't even take out old ECU I just left it there. Hopefully it wouldnt make any problem in future.
Now my side mirror is working fine.
but I didnt get Nakamichi problem, VQT. did you find out what was problem?
You need to take the three screws (need different length phillip screw drivers) that hold the bracket of the ECU. That thing is the control of the vent. Be careful not to drop the bolts because you'll never find it. After that, you can get your hand to the top bolt that hold the ECU. Install new ECU, Yes I know it is a PITA to get to those bolts. Now you have to put the bolts that hold the vent controller back. Make sure the metal rod that push the vent go in the slot. I don't think you want the UCU dangling like that How much did you pay for the ECU?

My Radio, CD player miraculously started playing again some time in mid December . I can't explain why it start working again
Old 01-17-02, 11:03 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Correction, I don't think the mirror ECU has anything to do with the memory seats or the tilt steering. i have to check on this when I have time to read. I usually read the manual when I have problem. Right now I am reading up the wheel alignment and starting & ignition.

Originally posted by VQT

From the shop manual, it said the memory seats, the tilt steering and the out side mirror are connected to an ECU. The ECU I replaced said right on it "mirror control" or something similar to it.

Only both mirrors did not work on my car. Everthing else works, mem. seats, tilt steering...Now everything works except the damn radio/cd player