SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Removing driver side air vent-93' SC300

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-16, 07:08 PM
koolina13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing driver side air vent-93' SC300

Can anyone tell me how to remove the driver side dashboard air vent. I need to replace it with one I purchased however, I removed the panel below the vent, it pops off and there are 2 Phillips screws to remove, no problem.

The problem I am having is trying to get to the one screw at the top of the vent which has to be accessed behind the vent. I've pulled the speedo head to access the Phillips screw using an offset Allen wrench with a Phillips head. The problem is there is very little space behind the vent and difficulty in lining up the wrench to loosen the screw holding it in place.

Can anyone tell me if there is a better way to get this screw out? I've been trying to get this screw out for a week any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by koolina13; 03-25-16 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Mimmisspeling
Old 03-25-16, 08:59 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

Maybe there will be a hint in here...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-56k-nono.html

I removed that vent at the same time I pulled a dash and don't recall the order of steps that was necessary, unfortunately.
Old 03-26-16, 10:51 AM
emLEX
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty sure dash has to come out, or close to it. I'll post a few pics later since my dash is currently out of the car and I can see screws and tabs from behind.
Old 03-26-16, 11:22 AM
koolina13
Driver

Thanks guys, I am kind of resigning myself to the fact that I may have to pull the dashboard but wish I didn't have too. Can either of you give me an idea of the difficulty in removing the dashboard if that is the only way I can get to that screw? If the as no screw at the top of the vent this would be a pretty easy fix.n I look forward to any suggestions you can give me, much thanks!
Old 03-26-16, 12:34 PM
emLEX
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How long it takes really depends on your skill level and gumption. Not that it takes a rocket scientist, but if you've never taken a car interior apart... I found the dash to be a bit of a pain even though I've removed/installed several over the years on other cars. I feel Lexus really made things overly complicated on this one, and some things/fasteners were difficult to get to. Add to that the plastic used really hasn't stood the test of time and it's really easy to break things, so take your time, don't force anything, look for hidden screws/bolts and do things methodically. Try to keep fasteners with whatever you're taking off so you know what went where. I'd plan a whole day if not weekend, it may take you much less but if this is your only ride and you realize it's taking longer than planned... You also might find that the entire dash doesn't have to come out to reach those screws. Consider yourself lucky if that's the case because if you can avoid dealing with the wiring harness, I'd suggest you leave it alone. I can't give you a step by step as there are way too many, but pretty much everything has to come out to get the dash out. Center console, A pillar trims, passenger airbag. Some folks say you don't have to remove steering wheel but I found it much easier with it out of the way. You'll end up with a pretty big pile of fasteners, trim pieces and parts. It can be overwhelming. None of this is meant to deter you from doing it, just want to give you a glimpse of what's involved.
Old 03-26-16, 11:44 PM
koolina13
Driver

Thanks emLex, this may be way over my head, not an expert in any way but I appreciate you informing me what I'm up against. I think I will try a few things however it's not like the existing vent doesn't work at all just one or two slats inside the vent are loose, but that won't be a deal breaker. If it gets any worse, I'll take the path you suggested, thanks!