SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I'm back...Electrical Problem...& Idle Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-03, 10:07 PM
MatT3T4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I'm back...Electrical Problem...& Idle Problem.

Hey everyone...you probably don't recognize me, it's been forever, but I have some questions for you.

I have a 92 SC300 5-speed, and I need some help...

1: There is something wrong with my electrical system. I keep blowing a fuse that ties in the ABS, power windows, and power steering. This sucks ***. It keeps blowing, and I need to find out what keeps making it blow, but I SUCK at electrical systems, and don't know where to look. Has anyone ever experienced this problem? I can't even keep a fuse good for one full day...they keep popping. Does anyone here have any experience with this, or should I just go to an electrical shop, so they can try to hustle me? (won't happen, btw)

2: My engine has 125,000 miles on it, and it has a retarded idle. When I don't drive the car for a few days, it idles like CRAP! It drops down to like, 300rpm, and sometimes it stalls...even with the AC on. What could cause this? My car is not throwing any CE light, or anything...it just idles like **** sometimes.

3: I think I want a new(er) engine. Where can I find a 2JZ-GE engine in good running order...for a good price? I can do the swap myself, that's no problem...I just need to find an engine for a good price. I just started a business, so I have to watch my expenses closely...

Thanks for your help!!!
Old 01-23-03, 11:18 PM
LEXO-400
Rookie

new engine? i dont think you need that, as for the fuse try using something stronger but then again you dont want to do that cause if it melts fork up 500 for a new fuse box, and you can adjust your idling problem just increase it manually , i used to do it on my acura , maybe it will work on your car
Old 01-23-03, 11:32 PM
MatT3T4
Driver

I'm a Honda guy by nature...and I know how to do it on Honda vehicles...but I don't think I can on the 2JZ-GE engine, like the Hondas can. I haven't tried it yet, but I remember a mechanic mentioning it. Bah. I guess I will check that, but still...that can't be the problem, because it doesn't idle like that all of the time.

As for a new engine...I still want to turbocharge it, and I'd like to get a newer engine, rather than rebuild mine...or possibly build an engine on the side.
Old 01-23-03, 11:44 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Matt,

Take your car to a qualified shop and get if fixed. There is no easy way to explain on a forum how to troubleshoot the two issues you have. They are both odd problems that can be caused by hundreds of different scenarios.

Also, at 125k you don't need a new engine unless you have abused the one in there now. If you look around there are several 2jzge engines around right now for approx $1500

MW
Old 01-24-03, 12:05 AM
MatT3T4
Driver

The engine is in relatively good condition, aside from the choppy idle. At times, you would think I have some really huge muscle car cams in there

Besides that, I will occasionally notice a faint trace of smoke when I floor it, and I can see it in peoples headlights. Besides that, the engine is fine...but I don't want to turbocharge this one.

When building an engine for turbo...is it necessary to sleeve the 2JZ-GE engine? How strong are they? I'm thinking maybe a nice clean hone, and a set of 9.5:1 pistons and new rings could do me well? Thoughts...?
Old 01-24-03, 02:38 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mat, just wanted to say welcome back!!!
Old 01-24-03, 02:47 PM
MatT3T4
Driver

Thanks dude.
Old 02-03-03, 08:06 PM
MatT3T4
Driver

Well...got it fixed. I had a wire from my system that was grounding out somewhere, and it fried some crap in my electrical system. Bah! Replaced some wires, replaced a fuse box...and it's fixed. It idles great too.

On a lighter note, I went by my distributor today to pick up some parts for some customers of mine, and decided to pick up an Injen intake for myself...
Old 02-03-03, 08:42 PM
Bentley1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by MatT3T4
Well...got it fixed. I had a wire from my system that was grounding out somewhere, and it fried some crap in my electrical system. Bah! Replaced some wires, replaced a fuse box...and it's fixed. It idles great too.

On a lighter note, I went by my distributor today to pick up some parts for some customers of mine, and decided to pick up an Injen intake for myself...
So, what was this about needing a new engine? Seemed a little drastic...

When you think about it, engines are made up of hundreds of parts. No sense throwing the baby out with the bath water, so to speak- just replace the problematic part. Glad to hear you found an easy solution.